Bag Setup - Mini Driver?!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Currently got

Driver, Mini Driver, 5 wood, 4 iron to PW then 52* 56* and 60*. Putter.

I'm hitting the mini driver better and further than my driver, so i should drop the driver... and replace it with what?

3 Iron or Hybrid or even a driving iron?

Thanks, Matthew.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Purely down to personal choice. Where do you see the gap. Can't see the point in carrying driver and mini and so if you are hitting the latter better why not drop the driver and play around with a hybrid, or maybe even a three wood

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe add a hybrid of around 22° - not as long as the 5 wood, maybe similar to the 4 iron but a different flight for a different shot...?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi

Currently got

I'm hitting the mini driver better and further than my driver, so i should drop the driver... and replace it with what?

Thanks, Matthew.

If your signature is accurate i.e. aspiring pro, learn to hit your driver properly or get a new aspiration.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very interesting.
I to am struggling with this.
I have a main driver & a mini driver.
I hit the main driver 240 - 250 yards, but occasionally hit a loose one (usually right)
The mini driver I hit 210 - 220, but arrow straight.
It's a real asset on tight holes.
So what to leave out?

I tried leaving out my gap wedge, but I badly missed that club, so today I left out my lob wedge, as with a bit of imagination, I can manage with my sand wedge I reckon
I certainly think this is true when the greens are softer & I can stop the ball easier.
Anyway, I played very well today & hit 15 fairways.
So I think I will stick with this set-up for a couple of weeks & see how it goes.
Especially, if I can get used to hitting the mini off of a fairway.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

Currently got

Thanks, Matthew.

I don't think there anything wrong with carrying the mini driver. If the driver isn't playing ball from time to time, its nice to have the option of a shorter and safer club off the tee.

No different to carrying a strong 3wood.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
How good can you play the mini driver off the deck? And what loft is your mini driver?

If you're struggling with this maybe a 'normal' 3 or 4 wood might be an option...

If you're playing a course that has rather wide and forgiving fairways you could go driver - 3/4 wood - 5 wood - irons or if you're playing a course with rather narrow fairways you go mini driver - 3/4 wood - 5 wood - irons.

My setup right now is 14° mini driver - 19° hybrid - 22° hybrid - 5-PW - 48/54/60 - putter

I'm kind of looking at the aeroburner 3HL wood (16.5°) to sit between the mini driver and the hybrid and as a long club off the deck on par 5s.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think there anything wrong with carrying the mini driver. If the driver isn't playing ball from time to time, its nice to have the option of a shorter and safer club off the tee.

No different to carrying a strong 3wood.

I agree with this.
I have a very similar set up, I use my Mini off the tee on tight holes and where a 3 wood is usually required. Saying that I hit my driver further on a normal day however the Mini is a confidence builder and can only help get back onto good terms with the big stick.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with this.
I have a very similar set up, I use my Mini off the tee on tight holes and where a 3 wood is usually required. Saying that I hit my driver further on a normal day however the Mini is a confidence builder and can only help get back onto good terms with the big stick.

Indeed.

My 16 mini is a substitute for a 3w - it's that simple.

I use it where I want those charecteristics and distances (they are mine so irrelevant to others).

I carry driver mini 3h(at 16.5) 5w and 4h then 5i up. Although I have 2 sets of h the above are 1 from each as they deliver to me what I feel I need in terms of options - it's not science; it's art.