Bag set-up, longer clubs

TigerTime

Visit site
Hi all, curious to see what set up people have throughout the bag but in particular with longer clubs.

I currently have driver and 3 wood. Then I go to 5-56. Have had hybrids in the past and hated them. The 5 and 6 irons I struggle to hit consistently to be honest and as a result can often go all over the planet or shorter than they should be. I have a decent sized gap and space for two clubs because of this. My 3 wood carries between 190-200 and driver now carries 220. My 7 iron carries 145-155 so I need something to fill the gap for that 170-190 shot. I was thinking a couple of fairway woods would be a good shout but I'd be unsure where to start. Don't want to spend alot so would probably buy second hand.

Curious to see what you all do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I stopped buying 3 woods ages ago. Absolutely no need for one. Off the tee I hit driver better, and if I need to lay-up before a hazard 5 wood does the job. Off the deck I couldn't hit any further than a 5 wood anyway as there's not enough loft. Just a waste of a club so I sacked it off. Consequently I have driver, 5 wood, 7 wood, a 23° hybrid (5 iron replacement) and then irons from 6 down.

I would strongly, strongly recommend you look at 7 woods for starters. Cracking clubs, very easy to hit.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Driver, then 4-iron for me. I do have a three wood in the bag, but rarely gets used.

TigerTime

Visit site
I stopped buying 3 woods ages ago. Absolutely no need for one. Off the tee I hit driver better, and if I need to lay-up before a hazard 5 wood does the job. Off the deck I couldn't hit any further than a 5 wood anyway as there's not enough loft. Just a waste of a club so I sacked it off. Consequently I have driver, 5 wood, 7 wood, a 23° hybrid (5 iron replacement) and then irons from 6 down.

I would strongly, strongly recommend you look at 7 woods for starters. Cracking clubs, very easy to hit.

Cheers. Interesting you say that about 3 wood, its one of my stronger clubs. I can use it off the tee and off the deck pretty well. 7 wood is something I was looking at but they actually seem hard to find second hand.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I go from Driver, to 7 wood (215 carry) then to a hybrid (195 carry).

I was looking at a 7 wood for a while and after shaking up the top end of my bag a bit decided to just get a new one. Its doing a great job so far, easy to hit and the flight is great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers. Interesting you say that about 3 wood, its one of my stronger clubs. I can use it off the tee and off the deck pretty well. 7 wood is something I was looking at but they actually seem hard to find second hand.
They have grown in popularity when pros like DJ and Hatton started using them. Luckily got mine a couple of years ago and beat the rush.

Regarding 3 wood I think it's a swing speed thing. Mine is on the slow side, so even if I struck the 3 wood well I found it didn't carry far enough to be worthwhile.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Driver 9.5
3w set to 16
3h 20
4h 23
5 - PW(45)
P

I think the gap between woods and irons is always the hardest to fill..
I've said for years that, for the most part, amateurs with 14/15 degree 3 woods are wasttheir time.
Most cant produce decent enough speed, launch and spin to make it worthwhile
Use a 4 wood or a 5 wood..

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm always experimenting, so things change at times. 65 as well with arms as strong as a 3 year old. I want to approach the greens with a high softer shot, long irons no longer do that for me.

-Driver
-5 wood
-9 wood (11 wood taken out of the bag)
-3 Hybrids set at 24 / 28.5 / 33 (possibly take out the low hybrid once it dries out and replace with the 11 wood)(last 2 hybrids will likely be adjusted to higher loft as well).
-5 iron for safe shots and getting out from under the occasional tree.
-8-9-PW-50-54-60
-Putter

RichA

Visit site
Driver, 3 hybrid (20 year old Cobra Baffler), 4 hybrid (Ping G400), 5-9 + wedges.
I've also not been a hybrid lover, having experimented with many and I don't like fairway woods. I hit the ball fairly hard, which hasn't agreed with most hybrids. The Baffler was a cheap eBay experiment that's going well as it has a fairly heavy, iron-like feel to it. It likes to be hit hard.
The G400 goes well if I concentrate on swinging quite gently.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They have grown in popularity when pros like DJ and Hatton started using them. Luckily got mine a couple of years ago and beat the rush.

Regarding 3 wood I think it's a swing speed thing. Mine is on the slow side, so even if I struck the 3 wood well I found it didn't carry far enough to be worthwhile.

I love my 7 wood and as @Bratty will confirm, i can hit it pretty well

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Driver, 5 wood, then two rescues. (19 degree and a 22 degree) then 5 iron down.... when I bought the set the pro suggested ditching the 4 iron for a gap wedge, he was dead right! Very happy with the bag as it.
Start of last season the pro did gapping sessions on the trackman ... well worth the session. Will show you where any issues are,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't waste your money.
Do you still have your hybrids, if so, invest £20 on a lesson and learn how to hit them.
To have nothing between 3 wood and 5 iron is severely limiting your potential.
A 21 and 24 hybrid would be a good start. Maybe take a look at the Ping Rapture series

TigerTime

Visit site
I wouldn't waste your money.
Do you still have your hybrids, if so, invest £20 on a lesson and learn how to hit them.
To have nothing between 3 wood and 5 iron is severely limiting your potential.
A 21 and 24 hybrid would be a good start. Maybe take a look at the Ping Rapture series

I don't have my hybrid anymore but it was a 19 degree if I remember rightly. Not ruling hybrids out completely but was curious about giving a couple of fairway woods a shot, no harm in buying some cheap second hand ones and experimenting a bit.

Also, not sure where you would get a £20 lesson these days!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. Have had hybrids in the past and hated them.

When I first tried hybrids to replace long irons (3 & 4) at first I struggled but now they are 'go to' clubs. My swing and intended shot with a hybrid is the same as I use for an iron. I do not know when you first tried them but they have come a long way since they first appeared.

It is fairly normal for the 6 iron to be the point at which you lose consistency (or as it was when I first started the 5 iron). Again once you start going less lofted than about 19 degrees hybrids can become more difficult to be consistent with.

Years ago I went 5 and 7 wood but quickly dropped the 5 as I found myself always reaching for the 7. Every so often the 7 goes back in the bag but I find the hybrids with the shorter shaft much more consistent.

HPIMG

Visit site
My bag is currently has space for one more club and looking to add maybe a 5/7 wood.
wedges are 58 54 48
Irons pw -5
4 hybrid but inconsistent carry 180-200
3 wood again inconsistent carry anywhere from 180-230
Driver

I am looking at maybe just getting a new driver 3 wood and 5/7 wood along with a hybrid. I feel as if I have loads of options 100 yards and under but not much choice over 180

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
170 to 190 is ideal hybrid range for your (12ish hc range). No reason you should hate them. That was surely just some off days or wrong lofts. In the same range as you for the other clubs. 5h (26deg) carries 165ish, 175-180 ttl. 4h (23) carries 175ish, total 190.
7 wood might be the other option that are increasingly popular but havnt tried one.
But if you can hit a golf ball, you can hit a hybrid.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have driver, 4 wood, 7 wood and then 6 iron up - sometimes a 5 iron comes out but it does spend a lot of time on the naughty step due to a bad attitude!