Attending the Pin

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, so after looking up the rules for an earlier thread I've just been re-reading them and have got myself all confused again....

17-1 - Flagstick Attended, Removed or Held Up

Before making a stroke from anywhere on the course, the player may have the flagstick attended, removed or held up to indicate the position of the hole.
If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

So you can get the flag attended even if you're off the green?

I always thought if you were off the green you had to choose whether to have the flag in or out but this rule and the FAQs suggest otherwise.

Can anyone clarify?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
if the pin is being tended it must be removed before the ball reaches it , if ball hits pin when it is tended ,whether playing from off green or on, its a penalty

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's say my partner is off the green with a dodgy lie asks me to tend flag he hits a poor shot the ball was going to end up 30ft away but hits me and drops to 2ft he holes the putt and we win the match

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
its your choice if you want the pin tended or not. when playing from off the green, but if tended it must be removed before the ball hits it , onced tended it must be removed

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same reason you are penalised if you accidentally move the ball while clearing moveable obstructions.

No penalty for that.

Rules 18-2(a) and 24-1(a)

I think you probably meant loose impediments rather than moveable obstructions. Although there are also exceptions to that as well (e.g. when the ball is on the green)