Assessing your yardages using GPS watch

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you are correct Mendie- Yardages on course assume a straight line through fairway

I wish we could all hit dead straight!!!

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS OP American golf will often price match on products as long as they have exact same item in stock and in stock on other retailers website....

I would shop around and chance your arm- they are often more expensive than other sites.

Nothing ventured.......

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
U
To be honest with you on the course I simply deduct the distance left from the distance I had on the previous shot. Saves messing about with an extra function that isn't really needed IMO.

Say I have 400 yards from the tee to the middle of the green. I get to my second shot and I have 180 from there. Means my tee shot was 220 yards.

Over the last year using this process I've built up a mental database of the distance each club goes on average and on a really good hit.

Yeah, that's what I do too and use the distance left to the green to choose the club for my next shot

WhereIsMyBall

Hacker
Visit site
Say I have 400 yards from the tee to the middle of the green. I get to my second shot and I have 180 from there. Means my tee shot was 220 yards.

I've learnt from gamegolf that this isnt an accurate way of doing it. very few holes are dead straight, meaning you are often cutting of parts of a hole.

not sure that is explained too well, but its true
No you've explained it perfectly well ☺ and see what you're saying. Will maybe have to start using the measure shot function to compare from now on then!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
No you've explained it perfectly well ☺ and see what you're saying. Will maybe have to start using the measure shot function to compare from now on then!

I doubt there is much difference at all but on a big par 5 (say 570yds) if i cut the corner off and only have 200yds left, there is no way i've hit a 370yd drive.

i only do that downwind :p

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Everyone's missing a very important point here....
Using GPS/GameGolf is fine for giving you distances but, unless you can see and mark where the ball pitches, they're not giving you useful data.
Knowing that your 7 iron travels 158 yards is virtually irrelevant if the ball carries 120 and rolls the rest. Next time you come up against a carry over a pond that is 140 yards with a further 15 to the flag you're going to pull your 7 iron and dump it in the drink.
Carry is the only useful distance - for the most part you can't control roll, you're at the mercy of the conditions.
At the moment, with the soft ground, its possible to mark your carry distance as there isn't much roll - but with the lower temperatures the ball doesn't fly as far...
This is where the LM's come into their own, possibly the only way to really get your yardages. You can then adjust for wind, slope etc etc....

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought an S1 a few weeks ago and it's amazing how closer you get to the pin when you know the actual yardages. I've always struggled in the winter as my club selection from supposed yardage is ingrained in to me which usually sees the ball hit the front of the green and release to the middle in the summer etc. This however isn't good in the winter where it stops dead, but i've had trouble committing to taking extra clubs, yet knowing the precise yardage has helped me hit extra clubs and i've seen the rewards. Stupid to think I couldn't do this anyway.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi dan,

I've read plenty of info about GameGolf and the technology sounds impressive. I think it benefits the golfer who plays more frequently thatn i do and also has an interest in more detailed statistics than simply yardage. I would consider it if i played more frequently but at the minute i'm just after a GPS watch.

Fair enough. How about one of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voice-Caddie-SC100-Portable-Monitor/dp/B00J1VV6C0 Has good reviews from what I've read.