Asking for advice

D

Deleted member 15344

Just as an aside to this debate, I play in a lot of interclub Foxes and Seniors matches. Often the home team players will point out features of the hole and give some advice on how to play it, particularly for visiting players who have not played the course before. OK they are not qualifiers and giving this advice seems only polite, but is this in breech of rule 8-1? :confused:

Does it matter ? It's a friendly game of game between two clubs

If anyone pulls someone up for giving advice in a club match where the onus is on enjoyment and fun then they really miss the point of amatuer golf and inter club matches

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Copy of e mail received today from the R & A

"Hi Bill,

Apologies, I misunderstood which examples you were talking about.

I have discussed your query below further with my colleagues and I have to admit that they are in agreement with you that this type of statement would constitute as being advice. Going back to the principles in my previous e-mail below, saying to a player, ‘you aimed too far left’, or ‘that’s where you were aiming’ is offering an opinion which could influence a player in his method of making a stroke and this would therefore be a breach of Rule 8-1.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards
Claire"

I referred her to this thread & she initially answered the wrong question.

This answer is in direct contradiction to the answer I got from the same person at the R & A the last time I raised exactly the same question in March, only this time she has discussed it with her (senior?) colleagues.

I think she explained the reason for the change.

To me, the 'that's exactly where you were aiming' is right on the border of advice vs info and I would accept either ruling, whereas 'you aimed too far left is definitely 'advice'.

Why did you feel you needed to ask the question twice though? Did you simply not believe them? Or was the original guery slightly confusing - as seems to be the reason for the subsequent change of mind.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I think she explained the reason for the change.

To me, the 'that's exactly where you were aiming' is right on the border of advice vs info and I would accept either ruling, whereas 'you aimed too far left is definitely 'advice'.

Why did you feel you needed to ask the question twice though? Did you simply not believe them? Or was the original guery slightly confusing - as seems to be the reason for the subsequent change of mind.

I asked again when I read the decision re. the statement "you're overswinging" being advice. Couldn't see the difference between that and "you aimed too far left" or "that's exactly where you were aiming" for that matter. And it turns out all three are against the rules.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I asked again when I read the decision re. the statement "you're overswinging" being advice. Couldn't see the difference between that and "you aimed too far left" or "that's exactly where you were aiming" for that matter. And it turns out all three are against the rules.

Suggests that the occasional challenge might be 'worthwhile'!

The 'overswinging' one always looked like advice - reasoning already posted by others.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Copy of e mail received today from the R & A

"Hi Bill,

Apologies, I misunderstood which examples you were talking about.

I have discussed your query below further with my colleagues and I have to admit that they are in agreement with you that this type of statement would constitute as being advice. Going back to the principles in my previous e-mail below, saying to a player, ‘you aimed too far left’, or ‘that’s where you were aiming’ is offering an opinion which could influence a player in his method of making a stroke and this would therefore be a breach of Rule 8-1.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards
Claire"

I referred her to this thread & she initially answered the wrong question.

This answer is in direct contradiction to the answer I got from the same person at the R & A the last time I raised exactly the same question in March, only this time she has discussed it with her (senior?) colleagues.

Can you tell us what job title or position Claire has given?

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the club advertises that the tournament will be played by the rules of golf, I don't think they can claim exceptions because it is all just for fun.