Are you happy at your playing standard

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
If you can drive 200 yards single figures should be easily attainable.

I'd beg to differ!
I've been hitting the fairway very consistently and have a carry of 210 yards... I'm not even getting close to my 13 handicap, never mind anything else :(

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I echo a few others. Matchplay in recent knockouts I've played golf to the best of my ability. Stiffing endless approach shots, chipping in numerous times and missing almost nothing inside 8 foot. It' just like I find another gear, even if I hit a bad drive I find a way to make par or better almost always I don't let things affect me the same I always feel anything is possible and have full belief in myself.

Strokeplay I play solid golf but no way near to the same level. It's almost like a switch is flipped under the pressure situations of matchplay and my mind set deals with the fact I'm not thinking of an overall score much better. Instead in stroke play I'm always concerned about my score in a desperate attempt to meet the buffer or get cut.

I'm my biggest enemy and I think this is my problem:

- Matchplay I play against my opponent, my inner voice channels everything at beating them
- Strokeplay I play against myself, constantly battling myself to improve, score lower etc.

I've tried mental toughness I think I need to try more.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nah, I’m a bit rubbish these days tbh. Been declining for a while due to poor health, lack of time and sometimes motivation. The hardest part has been knowing that I was pretty handy (for an amateur!) a few years ago and not being able to do this now is quite frustrating.

Not all doom and gloom; I’m changing drug therapy for my arthritis, I’m completely rebuilding my swing with a pro I know well who is sympathetic to what I physically can and cannot do and I’ve a new set of Ping’s on the way 👍

Things won’t be the same as they were I imagine but will stick at it and perhaps have a few new goals...
This I think when you have been quite good it’s very frustrating when your game is in decline.
Thing that we’re easy become harder.
It’s a mental thing as well as physical.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right now I'm struggling to play in comps, due to work and not got the opportunity to play to get my hc down. I've been off 3 for the past 20 so years, been as low as 1 for a day and got back to 4 at one point. I'm hovering around 2-3 at the mo.. Still got aspirations of playing off scratch.
That’s good golf .
So what is your weakness even scratch men have them.
My mate off +1 fantastic player but if he went in a bunker his round could be over.
Hard to understand why he was so bad but he released everything through the strike that he shut the face on every shot .

Maybe your sss/css is stopping you a lot of our low men play west lancs because the css is usually high.

D

Deleted member 25172

I'm fairly happy with my game at the moment, but if I could just sort a few things out...

If my misses with the driver could still be in play and I could fix my putting I'd be looking at single figures I'd think. Guess I'm no different than the next, but when I miss with the driver, I miss it badly, with either a slice almost taking the shape of a boomerang, or a massive pull and will have to re-load from tee.

Visit site
That’s good golf .
So what is your weakness even scratch men have them.
My mate off +1 fantastic player but if he went in a bunker his round could be over.
Hard to understand why he was so bad but he released everything through the strike that he shut the face on every shot .

Maybe your sss/css is stopping you a lot of our low men play west lancs because the css is usually high.

If I can figure that out, then I would unlock Pandora’s box.😂😂😂

I really don’t know what’s my weakness. I think it’s mentally more then anything.

I spent a morning and early afternoon at Woburn before the season started it was a joint Aimpoint Jamie Donaldson and Advanced Short game Dan Grieve seminar they did. Done Aimpoint since 2011, but Dan’s short game method was an eye opener, it really has changed how I view and play shots, including bunker. He made it look so effortless.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This I think when you have been quite good it’s very frustrating when your game is in decline.
Thing that we’re easy become harder.
It’s a mental thing as well as physical.

Very much agree with that. Oddly I had the mentality to get better but I’m clueless with how to deal about managing a decline 😳

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I echo a few others. Matchplay in recent knockouts I've played golf to the best of my ability. Stiffing endless approach shots, chipping in numerous times and missing almost nothing inside 8 foot. It' just like I find another gear, even if I hit a bad drive I find a way to make par or better almost always I don't let things affect me the same I always feel anything is possible and have full belief in myself.

Strokeplay I play solid golf but no way near to the same level. It's almost like a switch is flipped under the pressure situations of matchplay and my mind set deals with the fact I'm not thinking of an overall score much better. Instead in stroke play I'm always concerned about my score in a desperate attempt to meet the buffer or get cut.

I'm my biggest enemy and I think this is my problem:

- Matchplay I play against my opponent, my inner voice channels everything at beating them
- Strokeplay I play against myself, constantly battling myself to improve, score lower etc.

I've tried mental toughness I think I need to try more.

+1, I can often do well in matchplay and but fall apart when I have a card in my hand ( and I have ten 10 0.1s in a row to prove it :mad:!)

Springveldt

Visit site
If you can drive 200 yards single figures should be easily attainable.
I wouldn't say easily, you will need a very, very good short game, you are probably going to have a lot of up and downs per round. On my course we have 3 par 3's that are all 190+, you are basically hitting driver/3 wood into them every time. Then the longer par 4's you can't even reach in 2 so again you are relying on up and downs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much agree with that. Oddly I had the mentality to get better but I’m clueless with how to deal about managing a decline 😳
The only real decline I have noticed is a loss of distance in long game.
So 6iron shot is now 5iron and becomes a harder shot with a higher degree of not hitting it flush.
This loss of distance off the tee makes second shots longer/ harder .
Modern clubs have made a difference.
The real difference for me is hitting 8iron instead of wedge 140 yd’s with The resultant loss of backspin makes this shot harder.
Short game / putting no problem and in my humble opinion have improved with age.

mister v

Visit site
id be happy if i could stop silly mistakes. im hitting solid drives and then topping a hybrid, if i chip close i miss the putt. my one mistake will end up costing me 2 shots. however much i practice when i play in a competitive round i'll screw it up somewhere ......

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I had this conversation with my (4 year old) son the other day. He asked me if i want to get better and my honest answer was that i am quite happy where i am.

Any lower and it would need a significant increase in time investment that i'm just not prepared to do. I am happy if i can maintain my current handicap and my current time commitment to the game at this stage of my life.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been cut from 17 to 15 so yeah, I'm happy.
My issues are that I always have a stretch of 5 or 6 holes of utter garbage, normally mid round.
I also struggle with anything from 20yds to 60yds.
I usually manage to get my wedge right under the ball and flop it just a few yards forward, even off a tight lie.
But yeah, really enjoying my golf right now.
The ups far outweigh the downs.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd beg to differ!
I've been hitting the fairway very consistently and have a carry of 210 yards... I'm not even getting close to my 13 handicap, never mind anything else :(

My point is that it is not a lack of distance that is the issue.
Learn to hit the ball straight and pair that with a solid short game.
210 from the tee and 190 with a 3 wood will cover a lot of par fours.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say easily, you will need a very, very good short game, you are probably going to have a lot of up and downs per round. On my course we have 3 par 3's that are all 190+, you are basically hitting driver/3 wood into them every time. Then the longer par 4's you can't even reach in 2 so again you are relying on up and downs.
Payed off singles for years and am a short hitter with a good drive carrying 200 - 210.
Toptracer had my driver carry at about 170 if I recall.
Handicap was at a course that measured 6150 off the whites so relatively short by today's lengths I suppose

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
This season handicap has gone from 11.4 to 12.9 so definitely not happy. I know I can play to single figure and have done previously, had a few spells out the game for various reasons but have been playing constantly for 5 years now although very sparingly during the winter months. Did get down to 9.9 midway through 2017 but since then things have gone from bad to worse, really frustrating. I keep getting told I'm a better player than my handicap suggests and I know I need to hang in there but sometimes I just feel like giving up ........