Are you happy at your playing standard

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Are you happy with the standard you play/handicap ?

This came up in conversation on ladies captain day.

Would you like to play better / to a lower handicap or just more consistent each time you go out at the standard you currently play at.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm absolutely not happy. I've worked hard in the last 8 months on my swing and I have hardly put a better score together despite often hitting the ball well. I need to convert the work into more consistency and I'm sure then that will lead to handicap cuts. The biggest problem has been that the swing changes have messed up my driver and I'm now lacking confidence with it, going from what used to be one of the most reliable clubs to the most erratic.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm absolutely not happy. I've worked hard in the last 8 months on my swing and I have hardly put a better score together despite often hitting the ball well. I need to convert the work into more consistency and I'm sure then that will lead to handicap cuts. The biggest problem has been that the swing changes have messed up my driver and I'm now lacking confidence with it, going from what used to be one of the most reliable clubs to the most erratic.

9/10 I score better when I scramble well, not when I'm hitting the ball "well"!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m at 16.3 at the moment nowhere near happy

Idiotic mistakes are keeping too many doubles on the card in comps

I think I’ve got it in me to get to about 10-12 but single figures looks unlikely unless I can find an extra 20 yards off the tee

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It varies. The day before yesterday I was. I felt very much in control of my game. I mean, don't get me wrong, of course I would love to hit the ball further or to hole more putts even on a day like that, but I felt that I was playing really well with what I had, most of the shots came out like I wanted them to and even if some of them did not, they still had an outcome that I could recover from with the next shot.

Yesterday it was the complete opposite. Conditions were brilliant and I probably hit the ball further than on any other day before this year, most of my drives were just picture perfect straight and long and I hit some real beauties with my irons as well, but apart from that, I could not get a score together if my life depended on it. I hit three balls into water hazards (totally unneccessarily I might add), I missed several short putts and left almost every chip shot woefully short. It was like half of my shots were alright and for the rest of the time my brain just wasn't in it. I just could not concentrate. And that drives me mad. Because I know I can do better than that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Happy to a degree. Lost two shots this year and hitting it well intermittently. Not in a great run of form so more consistency would be nice. I think its as simple as if I play better the scores and cuts take care of themselves. I have areas I need to improve but its a B rating for the season to date

Wolf

Visit site
Nope not at all. Handicap isn't reflective at moment of let's say previous playing abilities but that's due to not enough time to put work in on the driver and only playing comps when chance allows it, generally means good scores tend to be in bounce or matchplay round, by time I get a scorecard in my hand I've been showing the inconsistent play off the tee that's held me back all year. Just got to stay patient and give it time

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I always want to play better and improve. Recently tee to green i have been coming on leaps and bounds but regressing in putting. Putting used to be my favourite thing but last few weeks i have lost confidence.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I could live with the standard of play but not the unforced errors. Just so expensive to the score

As an example, Saturday I’m playing a par 5 with a stream in front of the green. Not a long hitter so chose to lay up with the 3rd with a PW but then hit it too thin and it bounced into the water

What the chuff! I practice this shot loads and would hit it without issue 9.5/10 times, why would the one time I get wrong be the only time it actually matters!

This is the kind of nonsense shot that needs to be eliminated

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have regressed a little this year so not happy. I do not expect to make a massive leap in my h/c or quality or play but I can be more consistent and hit better shots than I currently do. Lack of distance will always cost me but I am okay with that as long as my ball striking is good. It has not been often enough this year.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
9/10 I score better when I scramble well, not when I'm hitting the ball "well"!

id agree with that too, but my bunker play is hugely better than 12 months ago thanks to practice, and my Callaway Sureout club , my chipping, whilst still needs improving, is definitely better, my putting, streaky at best, and can be improved on big time. So most of the shots needed to scramble are better but I'm still not scoring well

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Are you happy with the standard you play/handicap ?

This came up in conversation on ladies captain day.

Would you like to play better / to a lower handicap or just more consistent each time you go out at the standard you currently play at.

Everyone can be happy with how they play....a shot, a hole, a round, maybe even a week! But after that surely we're all striving to improve and be more consistent!

Not sure who is going to answer your post - "Yea I'm really happy with the standard of my play and my current handicap can't get any lower and I could never be more consistent"

It's a game you never master.
The sooner people realise that....the more they enjoy it and not stress about in my opinion.

It's just a game.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Thinking of jacking it in. :(
I've driven the best and most consistent over the last three weeks, very slight fade and a decent distance almost everytime.
Yet I still can't put a score together. My wedges are poor and my chipping is woeful.
I guarantee you that the minute I sort those two out my drive will go bad again...

Stupid bloody game! :mad:

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
No. In short! Those days (holes?!) when it all comes together show me I can be much better than I am.

The aim at the moment is bogey golf and playing to 18. Nowhere near it at the mo!

D

Deleted member 1147

No, I'm not happy with my standard.

I can hit every shot well, and can manage my game quite well. But I still cannot score well enough.

At both stages of Open qualifying that I went to I didn't see anyone hit ball better than me, or chip, or putt better than me. But most of them scored a damned sight better than me.

I need to narrow my misses, keep my concentration and just get the ball in the hole in fewer shots.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nowhere near. Swing and grip changes so having to stick with it.

My main issues is consistency. I'm playing brilliantly for most holes but every time I'm slightly out of position it's a double or worse.

Perfect example, for 14 holes I was -1. The other 4 were 3 doubles and a triple.

Good enough for buffer but unfortunately my handicap is going the wrong way despite the best ball striking of my life.