Are you a one track pony?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Alwaysthebridesmaid and I were chatting about his scoring on the Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa which is always very very good. He goes away and plays like a complete chomper (especially on links courses)

I know we all have courses that suit our style/game and we do well on. Some people just do play well on one track and can’t get their game to travel.

Are you a one track pony?

D

Deleted member 15717

I can play equally bad on any track.

In my opinion, those who are members and play well around their own place is because you learn where you can miss it, and also have built up a library of whereabouts you are likely to be if you hit it in trouble as you know distances etc. Going away from home changes things as the reference points aren’t there.

I’d probably say heathland or parkland I am fine, but can struggle on links as have a high ball flight and struggle to keep it down

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm a lot better than I was
Historically, I've needed to play a course a few times before I'm able to put a reasonable score together.
But in more recent times I've been able to score decently on a first visit.
But I still play better around The Zoo....

Wolf

Visit site
Not sure now what I'll be like once my new membership starts next month at new club that's gonna be interesting.

In the past though I always travelled well to Links courses as hit it straight and decent short game. Always struggled at longer parkland courses especially if the conditions are soft as length has never been my strong point so have to rely heavily on wedge game and putting

D

Deleted member 15344

Reckon my game travels pretty well around all types of courses , played pretty well on all the links courses I have played except RSG and really enjoy playing on them

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I generally find my handicap travels pretty well when I play other courses. I’m sure I’d struggle if I was playing a long course and Links courses might prove a challenge.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely getting better. I think my head goes a bit quicker somewhere else which is annoying. A good day can be very decent but I need to concentrate harder to hold it together.

It's definitely a good test of your golf to play at other courses.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
No, I play two entirely different course with no real issues. One tree lined with quite a few doglegs and the other a traditional links. Started golf on links so hit the ball a bit lower which is a slight disadvantage playing parkland. What do I prefer/play better on, either way is no problem. Playing links from the start makes it easier to play parkland...I think.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely not. Ironically was looking at my handicap stats yesterday. In 3 years my handicap has reduced -

.1 from comps at the players
1.0 from comps at Burnham
.6 from opens.

With regards to Dan, he works at Woodhall, he is literally there every single waking moment of his life. What does he expect 😂

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to do ok at new courses as I concentrate that bit harder on shot selection and generally play a bit more conservatively which tends to reap rewards.

However, there are a couple of courses which I never play well at. Which is annoying. To say the least.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Lot easier now. When I started 60 years ago the were no course guides, no DMDs, no GPSs & not even 100 & 150 yard markers. With a course guide & GPS I can have a reasonable round on a strange course if I'm hitting the ball well. In the old days my standard practice was to walk forward until the distance looked like a 9 iron, then pace back to my ball, if time allowed. So much easier now. Nothing worse than hitting what you thought was a perfect shot only to realize that you'd misjudged the distance.