Are you a one track pony?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing off 8/9 for the last few years I don't find it to difficult to make a score anywhere. a par every second hole is not too difficult to do as I am a conservative player. I can usually get up and down around 1 in 2 goes even if I miss every green or come up short.

It is going low that is the problem. I haven't struck the ball that well for the last 2 years. Lost a pile of club head speed and had back problems. I will hopefully address this over the winter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I appear to be the opposite. Through August & September I got a couple of 83s and a personal best 81 on other courses, interspersed with scores of 90+ back at my home course for the competitions. Frustrating.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I actually play better away from my home course. Haven't made a good score round my home course in months yet last two away courses I have played I have shot 6 over and 3 over.

D

Deleted member 21258

I can equally play well or bad on any course on any given day. Its pot luck I have concluded for me :D

D

Deleted member 1147

I wouldn't say I'm a one track pony, but I am a one green pony.

As anyone who I played with at Hankley last year, West Hill or Liphook this year, would testify, I played well tee to green but I couldn't putt to save my life.

So my long game can travel, but my putting definitely struggles too.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there is a tenancy to think you always play well at a new course.

However, I think this is largely down to 2 things...
1. Expectations - you think you will struggle to play a new course well not having played it before. Even if you only play ok, you have a perception of having played well.
2. You don't have the scars of previous games where you've played a hole badly, or gotten into serious trouble so you play with a bit more freedom.
- imagine having a water hazard or open ditch that you don't know about the 1st time you play a course. You play the hole normally and avoid the hazard. If you knew it was there you may have played a different shot or would have felt more pressure on the shot you did play. Similar with bunkers.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nope, but there's definitely courses I always seem to play well on, and others I never seem to.

No rhyme or reason either, it's all a mixed bag of styles and lengths, yet year after year, open after open there's ones I'll do well on. I should save my money and concentrate on the successful ones :p

D

Deleted member 17920

With regards to Dan, he works at Woodhall, he is literally there every single waking moment of his life. What does he expect 😂
Valid point :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Dan however can play elsewhere, he just cant play links courses well in tougher conditions so he cries like a baby.

He was actually talking about other players at Woodhall with Cam when this was posted, we have some who only play at Woodhall and score well but wont venture out and play comps elsewhere! I think its because they are fearful of going somewhere else and not scoring well.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Valid point :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Dan however can play elsewhere, he just cant play links courses well in tougher conditions so he cries like a baby.

He was actually talking about other players at Woodhall with Cam when this was posted, we have some who only play at Woodhall and score well but wont venture out and play comps elsewhere! I think its because they are fearful of going somewhere else and not scoring well.
yeah i know dan can play based on his results elsewhere, i also saw some of his instagram posts moaning about links.

made me chuckle

D

Deleted member 25172

Most certainly am a one track pony I'm afraid, as my scores from the Kent meet would've shown.

Obviously had a few good rounds away from "home", but I really seem to struggle coming to a new place. Think it's mostly down to my own expectations. I so badly want to get a good score in to prove that I can play any course, so when the first blob shows it's ugly face, I have a hard time to keep my head up and just crack on and leave it behind.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I definitely play better on away courses as my home course is tough, I’ve come close to breaking 80 ‘81s’ the last two years I’ve played down south, I don’t think I will ever break 80 on my home course.

Also had 40 points playing Edzell and Forfar this year.