Are you a counter or not?

Do you always know your exact score to par?

• YES

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • NO

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • A bit of both

Votes: 31 28.4%

• Total voters

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When playing a round of golf either social or competitive do you know exactly your score to par?

The reason I ask is since I started I have never made a conscious effort to keep my score as I played. When I started playing at my club the card would be full of 7's,8's and 9's. At this stage knowing how poorly I was scoring as I went along would have really annoyed the competitive side of me.

Since then I have managed to play with the same mindset and not kept track of my score until the end when I double check before signing. Partners will tell me my score after nine holes but I seem to be able to forget this simply enough and carry on again through the back nine oblivious to exact score.

During all of this time I will always know if I am scoring well or not but not the exact score.

Recently I had a chat with some friends and they were saying I need to start keeping count etc so you can attack or defend depending on your score.

Fast forward to my first sub 80 round on Saturday and knowing I was playing well I decided to tally up my score on the 16th tee...+7 for 15...off a 13 handicap. Obviously I then knew I was playing/scoring really well and had a great chance of getting a cut. These thoughts were quickly followed by a duffed tee shot off the 16th tee, resulting in a lost ball and a triple bogey 7. Managed to steady the ship to go par par on 17 and 18.

So would I have scored better if I hadn't known my score??? Who knows???

Are there any players here who are able to play without knowing their exact score to par and do you really think this is something I need to start doing on a regular basis to get to single figures and below?

I think I know what most people will say but curious all the same. :)

PS I have tried to add a poll to this. Not sure if it has worked!

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said yes but, truthfully, it's only when I have a good score going.

I try not to think about my score and take each shot one at a time but if I have a good round going it'll be close to par so it's hard not to know it.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Numbers are my thing and way WAY back when I was just a young boy, I still always knew exactly what my score was, can't help it.

And I've got used to it since I started medals, handicaps etc. socdoesn't affect me or my playing of the next shot/hole.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a competition or knock up when we're scoring individually, I know where I am score-wise until it's too many.

In a team comp or better ball, I have no idea and don't even try.

It worries me slightly when my partner or team member keeps their own individual score (in a comp that is, knock ups do what you want).
I'm concerned that either they're playing for themselves and won't do what's right for the team, or gathering ammo for any inquest afterwards.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I make a conscious effort not to know my score.

A few years ago I came off the 17th green at 7-over gross, playing off 13 HC. I wish my partner hadn't told me, because I messed-up the 18th with a series of bad/stupid shots. That was the nearest I've come to winning a medal competition.

D

Deleted member 15344

Know my score in comps obviously

Match play - sometimes

Team comp - no idea , all about the team score

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always know my score. Playing golf has really helped me count big numbers.

But seriously, I couldn't possibly switch this off. It's not that I want to know, or even care much, but I always know how I'm scoring.

In terms of the score 'annoying' me, I tend to think in terms of Stableford points, putting terrible scores to one side.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No. 100% not.

No scorecard pressure for me.

I know when I'm playing well and also when poorly but would rather focus on the shot I'm about to hit rather than what I've already taken.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately yes. I have tried not to keep a running total in my head but find it impossible, particularly as you have to mark the score each hole. Also if you are playing best front, back and overall with the rest of your 3 or 4 ball then someone is always asking how the others are doing.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always in my head play stableford, no matter what form of the game I'm playing. It was a little tip I was given so not to get bogged down by the big numbers