Are you a counter or not?

Do you always know your exact score to par?

• YES

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • NO

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • A bit of both

Votes: 31 28.4%

• Total voters

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try to avoid but sometimes with a good start it's hard not to know. Will always try to change topics on the 10th tee because that's usually where updates on score happen.

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Always know where I am until 4+1 ( ie buffer) and then just keep playing. Sometimes it works and I get a couple of birds and get back in buffer other times finish 6/7 over and hoping the CSS goes up

Team matches I don't generally score as they are scratch match play so score is pointless other than the hole you are playing at that point

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't total my score during play and if playing well will ask my partner not to tell me my score at the turn. Its part of an intentional mental exercise I started trying to learn last year. It's difficult to explain this, of course I do know if I'm playing well, but its a loose feeling without knowing my actual score. I can put a run of good holes out of my mind easily and at my best I can just think about the next shot.

The big problem is the opposite scenario. I find it extremely difficult to put bad holes/shots out of my mind and just move on as if nothing happened. I'm trying to improve my way of thinking at the moment but it's not been very successful because I'm sick of playing in the flipping wind and it's a stupid game and I hate it and I want to smash my clubs and stamp on those stupid balls and burn everything.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never know my score relative to par. Just play a hole, write down the score then move on.

I cant even remember my score on a hole 3-4 holes ago unless i look at the card usually :rofl:

Its good for staying in the moment but when people are talking about a round afterwards ive not got a clue what holes are what :D

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
It worries me slightly when my partner or team member keeps their own individual score (in a comp that is, knock ups do what you want).
I'm concerned that either they're playing for themselves and won't do what's right for the team, or gathering ammo for any inquest afterwards.

I like to keep a card, in pairs it's only for reference to how my game is,

Seriously ... When some folk have just went (say) 4, 5, 4, 5 they actually have no idea what's what :confused: How can you not know :confused:

The other week I had two double bogeys on the first nine, reach the turn in 42 (+6), so I was very happy, Had a great back nine but it wasn't until I reached the 17th tee I realised just how good I was doing, walked of the 18th (+8), having missed a birdie on the last. I was shaking on the last green knowing I had a chance of a sub 80, my handicap took a tumble as you can see in my signature

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm a "no," although after a round I can recall the score and all of the shots. Its more a case of I just don't see the point of it during the round. Its just clutter/white noise. The score that matters is the one after 18 holes, not 17 or 16 etc. I know when I'm playing well and hen I'm playing badly.

Embarrassingly, I've actually had a guy come up to me in matchplay, shake hands and say good luck in the next round. I just play it shot by shot and hole by hole...

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interesting thread! I never know my score, which actually comes from years of playing cricket. I used to always know my exact score when batting and I used to tense up at various times because of it (e.g when stuck without scoring, or in 40s) and it was detrimental, and when I finally stopped this habit found it liberating. So I've tried to pass this onto golf... that's what I tell myself anyway - it's not that I can't add all the 7s and 8s!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a "no," although after a round I can recall the score and all of the shots. Its more a case of I just don't see the point of it during the round. Its just clutter/white noise. The score that matters is the one after 18 holes, not 17 or 16 etc. I know when I'm playing well and hen I'm playing badly.

That's how I've seen it Brian. What's the point in keeping track? You will know if you are playing well or not and then count up at the end. I don't feel the need to keep my score in my head. After all its not hard to keep a running total...any numpty can do that...I just choose not. Mental strength :thup:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a yes. I just know where I am when playing.
I have tried to play without knowing and I never ask my marker how I am doing til the end, but I mark my score (gross) in the markers section of the card. And I'm just good with numbers :) lol

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Indeed, it's not like it takes much brain power is it.

Bogey the first : 1 over
Par the second: no idea what my score is now :confused:

I don't have a problem with addy up's, just don't bother...

But if you were talking about long goes into's...oh my poor wee head cannae cope... she just doesnae have the power captain.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
During all of this time I will always know if I am scoring well or not but not the exact score.

Recently I had a chat with some friends and they were saying I need to start keeping count etc so you can attack or defend depending on your score.
Bad advice from your mates imo!

Knowing you are scoring well is fine, but we hackers don't really have the ability to 'attack or defend' on request! Your experience seems pretty typical of those that tot up!

The only time I would believe it's worth knowing is if the last hole is risk/reward (say 2nd shot over water or lay-up) and you are just on or outside Buffer (depending on SI).