Are Epon golf clubs sold in the United Kingdom?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never heard of that brand - I suspect that they haven’t made it over here. How are they perceived in the US?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Never heard of that brand - I suspect that they haven’t made it over here. How are they perceived in the US?

More or less a custom-ordered boutique item similar to Miura, Epon clubheads are imported by Fairway Jockey and assembled into clubs as ordered by the fitter or the customer directly.

I have one of their driving irons--an excellent club on the tee of tight driving holes and a crutch for one of my iidiosyncrasies.
I like hitting driving irons into tight landing areas but prefer lofted fairway woods into greens.
Makes for unusual set configurations.

But I digree. Epon is not a big name in the US but is generally well-regarded among gearheads.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That Nairn course for which you post a link looks absolutely beautiful.
I'm sure it would eat me up and spit me out, but it does look spectacular.
you should see it after the course changes, the bits you see are the old course, thats a piece of piss compared to the M&E changes, now there are bunkers in the middle of every fairway..... to coin a phrase ..... was overrated:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The old layout was easy as. My worst round there was 2 under, gross. Shore and Dunes, got me every time.
Would still argue that a drive into a bunker isn't a good drive. If it is within range, you need to go tactical.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strictly speaking, if you stuff it in a bunker, you haven't hit the fairway.
What if you hit it 250 yards into a bunker, that's not really 'stuffing' it.

For the record I don't really mind fairway bunkers, just makes you think more about what club you're hitting. My mate who plays off 30 absolutely despises them, and like the poster above, believes he is essentially being punished for hitting a fairway. He'll get furious if he goes in one - quite funny to be honest.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's still in a bunker. Or the rough, or a penalty area. None of these qualify as being on the fairway, however far they are from the tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's still in a bunker. Or the rough, or a penalty area. None of these qualify as being on the fairway, however far they are from the tee.
I just mean I get why people wouldn't like them. If you go in the rough you've typically pushed/pulled/hooked etc so you've hit a bad shot. But with fairways bunkers you can hit a perfect long, straight tee shot and go in one. But all it takes is a bit of forward planning and hitting something that won't reach it of course. It's more of a course management error than a bad shot error I guess.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I just mean I get why people wouldn't like them. If you go in the rough you've typically pushed/pulled/hooked etc so you've hit a bad shot. But with fairways bunkers you can hit a perfect long, straight tee shot and go in one. But all it takes is a bit of forward planning and hitting something that won't reach it of course. It's more of a course management error than a bad shot error I guess.

For sure, but you have to think why the course designer put it there. For sure, it is no accident thst it is there. So either you were meant to go right of it, left of it, or short of it. If you end up in it, you played the wrong shot, and were not trying to play the hole as the designer wanted. In this instance, long and straight was not the answer to the question asked.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Strictly speaking, if you stuff it in a bunker, you haven't hit the fairway.

Fair enough and quite true. But the vast majority of American fairway bunkers, which are fewer in number to begin with, are to the side of the fairways. Bunkers in the middle of fairways are a British thing. Makes playing a course for the first time quite exasperating, I would think. Maybe not so much now with GPS.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough and quite true. But the vast majority of American fairway bunkers, which are fewer in number to begin with, are to the side of the fairways. Bunkers in the middle of fairways are a British thing. Makes playing a course for the first time quite exasperating, I would think. Maybe not so much now with GPS.

You often see one 30-40 yards short of a green rather than in the driving area and particularly on very old courses. It was an old ploy before the days of yardage charts to make estimating the distance harder to do.

Our course was built in 1919/20 originally with a few cross bunkers, mainly designed to catch very poorly hit second shots rather than impede good drives.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our place over the years has had its bunkering changed 4 or 5 times. back in the 30's there were something like 170 bunkers on the course, went down to 130, then 120 then 96 back 120 again for the Walker Cup, now chanhing again with the Mackenzie and Ebert redesign goin on at the moment. I'm told most started on on the fairway with about 30 /40 ish on the middle of the fairway, as they narrowed the course some that were edge are now in the rough, i think we may be down to around about 120 again once the new layout is done