Approach Shots

Fred_Couples

Visit site
Anyone know of any good tips to improve approach shots?

I have a tendency to slightly hook my long irons and yet with shorter irons I can slice them if I give it the full swing.

I have tried recently to take a club more and do a half or 3/4 swing and this is a lot better, but is that normal?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some clubs especially 60 degree wedges etc aren't designed to be hit flat out. Its actually quite hard to move a modern short iron (I guess we're talking 8 onwards) unless the swing plane is out and you are coming way over the top and cutting across it.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's been raised many times and we were talking about this on the course the other night...

A 3/4 swing is generally a players full swing. The full swing that they are thinking is their full swing, is actually an over swing and it is this that causes deviances in each and every shot. Once you get used to your 3/4 swing being your actual full swing, you'll get more consistent and the scores with come down.

That's the theory anyway. i'm having much more success on the golf course now that i actually understand what my full swing is.

Of course, there are many other things that can lead to poor shots but stopping overswinging is something major and relatively straight forward to fix.