AP3 fitted with AMT Red or XP95

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Some advise please with shaft selection AP3s, sorry its long!

I was fitted for some 718 AP3 as I have never really had a whole lot of for my 716 AP1 couple of weeks ago, I have a slow swing speed AP1 7i 146 yards carry, according to the GC2 & HMT. The AP1s are fitted with KBS Tour Regular which I believe are 115g shafts and peak height was 20 ~ 22 yards. It was suggested that I should try a lighter shafts to add some height and increase the descent angle and help to stop the ball on the greens, makes sense has a I tend to play to front to allow for the ball to release.

The AP3 7i with the AMT Red Regular shaft increased the peak height to approx 26 ~ 28 yards, hence a steeper descent angle, the carry on the LM was similar and the spin increased, which was all good and I also like the look of them over my AP1s.

However the fitting was in the studio so I asked to borrow the club so I could see the ball flight in daylight and compare it with the AP1s, which I did today. I wanted to try the AMT Red along side the XP 95 as the AMT Red 7i shaft is 94g, but the marketing stuff says:

AMT Red is designed with Ascending Mass Technology so that 4i ~ 7i are 93g then 8i ~ PW the shaft increases by 3g to allow for power and precision???

Now being a sceptic about golf equipment marketing, I can't help but think that is is a bit of tosh, hence wanting to try the XP95 R300 which is constant 93g weighted shaft 4i ~ PW

Hitting the AP3 7i Head against my 716 AP1s, the AP3s defiantly had a much higher ball flight, without loosing carry distance, if anything maybe a bit more, so the lighter shaft has helped the with the swing speed, and the lighter shaft felt a bit smoother. However I could not see any difference in the ball flight between the AMT Red and XP95. Which is my issue, because with only being able to be fit for 7i head (as supplied by Titleist, I could not see if the progressive weight increase makes any difference at all over the XP95 with the constant weighted shafts.

So my question are:

Should I believe the Marketing stuff and trust that the AMT Red shafts will be better 8i ~ PW?

Or should I stick with constant weighted shafts and go with the XP95??

Finally does anyone know if the Titleist National fitting centres have all heads to try with different shafts, as much as I'm loathed to spend another £50 on alternative fitting at Celtic Manor, to make sure I don't make another expensive mistake I would consider this option?

Thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been to the National fitting centre a couple of years ago and think they had everything there to try. I had a fitting, and bought, some 718 AP1's a few weeks ago and ended up with the AMT Red shafts after trying about 4 different ones - was happy to accept the figures showed it was best for me and they've gone pretty ok since. As far as your choice is concerned it's got to be entirely your decision and if you're not happy then don't go for it.