Anything out of the ordinary at your home course?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Many moons ago I was a member of a course that had a plaque near to the second(I seem to remember) green marking the spot where Graham Hill's (father of Damon Hill) plane crashed and he was killed.

Course was also odd in that it had 9 holes and 18 tees so two different tee positions for each hole. The only way this could work was by having the first tee open for two hours and then closed for two as the first set of people came round for tees 10-18.

Bit bonkers and made for quite tight groupings as everyone naturally crammed the two hour window but seemed to work for the most part.

edit: there's also another little track I occasionally play in Kent where you can see an old parked-up cargo 747 from most of the holes.

billyg

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nothing really unusual at our place (Kent & Surrey Edenbridge Kent) but our signature hole the 195 par3 15th is and island hole with 3 bunkers on it, all which i have managed to hit quite recently. We have about 70 bunkers and I think I have only two to go to complete the set.

As for blind par3, the (i think) 10th at Redhill & Reigate is blind from the mens tees, if you walk to the ladies you can just see the green. 8i or 9i over the trees, OOB if you go 10 yards to far.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not my home course but one near me (Ivinghoe) actually has a dog-leg par 3! I kid you not.
There is a thumping great tree on the corner, you can't see the flag from the tee and you have to either play to the corner then chip,n,putt or try to fade one round without over cooking it and going OB.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have the Ascot Racecourse helipad next to our 5th hole which results in in holes 3 to 7 being closed during Royal Ascot week so they can ferry the jockeys to the course. Ordinarily you think that would be a pain for the week but since the roads around Ascot are pretty much gridlocked you can't get near the place anyway!

Unless you arrive by helicopter too!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, but don't miss the 18th green by more than 6 inches right. ;) We also have a winter tee on the 9th which is out of bounds.

The 6th hole at Reading, my first club, has a blind par 3. Green must be 40 feet above the tee, and you can only see your ball on the green from a few yards short of the hole. From memory it is about 150 yards, but plays longer.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
our 18th and 9th fairways are gaining some interesting contours as they slowly sink in to the land fill waste site this part of the course was built on.
They had to do some bore hole tests recently to see where contamination in a local brook was coming from,

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A fox that's partial to kit kats
And a family of about 100 ducks that seem to know when its shooting season...They all land and spend the season on the golf course so when a player passes by them munching on a bar there all off after him like the rats sfter the pied piper of hamlin....
Its funny to see actually. :D :D

SwingSlow

Head Pro
Visit site
Not home course, but the one at the end of our lane. Braxted Park, a delightful 9 hole course in the grounds of the Braxted Park estate has a short Par 3 where the raised tee is on one side of the road leading to the main house and the green is one the other. A sand wedge or Pitching wedge which you hope to hit straight and then stop as over-hitting risks putting it in one of the lakes in the grounds.

Home course is long on Canada Geese, ducks, rabbits and the occasional deer.