Anyone use a 7 Wood

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a gap between my 5w 19deg and my 5 iron (I do have a 4 iron but only dare use it when swing is working well) , have tried lots of hybrids and just don't get on with them, so as I hit my fairway woods well was thinking of a 7 wood to help fill the gap.

If you go into AG or other golf shops and ask about a 7 wood they tell you what you need is a hybrid (no it isn't) and they don't normally stock them.

So does anyone use one, and can anyone recommend some.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes and it's very very useful round our course. I have a Callaway X2 Hot 4 and 7 Wood and they are both a dream to hit. Highly recommend them.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. Great club for longish par 4s where you need a bit of distance but also want a high flight into the green. Excellent for laying up on par 5s too as with the extra loft yuo get a bit more forgiveness/margin for error. I currently use a Callaway x with a steel shaft.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to have a 7 wood until i replaced it with a hybrid- really useful club and if you don't get on with hybrids, go get one.
Very forgiving and you can use it in less then ideal lies

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a v steel 7 wood a few years back, thing was awesome. I just find trying to find high woods with stiff shafts like 7/5 woods now is getting harder,

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a gap between my 5w 19deg and my 5 iron (I do have a 4 iron but only dare use it when swing is working well) , have tried lots of hybrids and just don't get on with them, so as I hit my fairway woods well was thinking of a 7 wood to help fill the gap.

If you go into AG or other golf shops and ask about a 7 wood they tell you what you need is a hybrid (no it isn't) and they don't normally stock them.

So does anyone use one, and can anyone recommend some.
Cobra amp cell is spot on for what you need. Can adjust it from a 5/7 so 2clubs in one.clubhouse golf are doing them for £99 at mo.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have a (big hitting) mate that uses one - doesn't get on with hybrids, so ideal for him.

As an Ebay purchaser - of Ping gear - he did struggle to find one with Stiff shaft - then he had a choice of 2 or 3!

They are often associated with Ladies and Seniors, but it's his 215-220yd club!

Last edited:

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
I struggle with longer irons and hybrids. I had gap between my 5 wood 200 yards with low all flight and 5 iron 170 yards. Callaway Razr fit extreme 7 wood was the answer as I hit it 175 to 190. The ball flight is noticeably higher than the 5 wood but the carry isn't much different.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I have a V Steel 7 wood hit it about 195yds. Flight for me is a high draw that drops like a dead pigeon. Use it on 2 of our par3's. It does tend to be in and out of the bag depending on where I'm playing.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a Cleaveland Classic XL 7 wood, never got on with hybrids, this thing is so easy to hit from nearly any lie it is often my go to club have even used it from fairway bunkers.

I have never got on with hybrids and find the 7 wood great and i'm not even 40 :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I brought an Adams Tight Lie from the for sale section on here.

I don't get on with hybrids and decided to see if I prefered a 7 wood to 3 iron.

After a little while decided to put the 3 iron back in as, quite frankly, I was more consistent t with it making the 7 wood surplus to requirement.

Nothing to do with the club, just me.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
7 wood? Yes... why not.

I don't have one at the moment, but I have in the past. (Callaway heavenwood). I've also had a 9 wood and own a 5 hybrid.

(lots of experiments over the years...)

t.b.h. I think a hybrid works out a little more reliable overall. The problem with the 7 and 9 woods is that if you get underneath it, the ball can go stupidly high.

I guess in theory, a mid handicap player would choose to use one over the other primarily based on swing speed... so you'd need to compare results. I carry a 4 iron (always) but a 5 hybrid quite often. The hybrid is for hitting higher balls over trees and stuff. (good carry too over water etc.)... variety is the spice and all that. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just put a 5 wood in. this is my high flying shot. I have a 22hybrid that takes over once the 5i is out of reach.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's my go to club when I'm laying up or I'm on a short par 4 and just need to be on the fairway from the tee. Even a mis-hit from the fairway will usually scoot the ball 150 yards forward. For me it works better from the rough than a hybrid too.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a TM Burne 7 wood (see below). Great club from fairway, semi rough etc.The great thing is by adjusting the grip position it's good from 130 to 170 yards with my oap swing speed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I used to use a Seal ( think component company like Snake Eyes) steel shafted 7'er for a long time.
Supremely versatile. High, low, draw, fade, you name it I could hit it!
Shaft gave up one day and the supposed direct replacement just doesn't work for me.
Might see about getting a different shaft in it at some stage..,