Anyone recommend a drill for...?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...stopping the right shoulder turning out towards the ball on the downswing?

I've found one which involves no club, leaving your left arm pointing where the ball would be and clapping at the bottom of the swing with your right hand and it feels right, but I don't think it'll cement anything without hitting balls.

ianshearin

Club Champion
Visit site
This was exactly the reason that I kept Slicing the ball, bringing the right shoulder round which brought the club face across the ball.

I dont have any drills, I just concentrated down the range on holding the shoulder back at impact, not scientific I know but after a couple of range visits it's starting to feel better, I also let rip now and again with letting the shoulder go round just to watch the ball slice and therefore keep me focused.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
are you trying to start your downswing from the top? try to initiate the downswing by turning your hips / transfering weight to your front foot first. the shoulders and arms should follow almost naturally dropping the club into the 'slot'

works for me.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm trying to find a drill to cement the feeling over my right shoulder turning more under my chin, instead of shooting out towards the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting he buys one shtupit ;)
It's the idea of keeping the right shoulder back and it works a treat...doesn't it Jan :)
I'm sure you could think something up Gary or maybe your pro's got one:)

DSCI4719.jpg

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've not seen one of those anywhere at the club, but I can definitely improvise something to get in the way of an out to in swing path.

The odd thing is, none of the (few) pro's I've ever had a lesson with have said my swing is out to in, and I'm sure my arms don't fly outwards like they show when they demonstrate the fault, albeit exaggerating.

It'll be interesting to see if I launch a drinks bottle or headcover down the range!

A Question.

If a good swing is in to square to in, why is the club not past square and on the way in at impact if the ball is level with the left heel as with the driver?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gary, have you ever heard of the NMS fault fixer?

Jeez Bob...it costs between £160 - £234 depending where you buy it!!! :eek: Is it worth that much?

This does a similar job for £25

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-SKLZ-Golf-Slic...=item53e4a95e68

or just stick with my plastic botlle in the hotel corridor drill... :eek: :eek:

With regards to the slice eliminator for sale on Ebay. I can vouch that it is a good piece of kit and quite well made as well. Any bad swing you make you will hit the foam pads on the unit. After a few swings you will start to pass through without hitting anything. Once you do that then hit a ball and watch it soar into the distance long and straight!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A Question.

If a good swing is in to square to in, why is the club not past square and on the way in at impact if the ball is level with the left heel as with the driver?

It is.

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this, but...

If that is true, and you're set up pointing at the target, how can the ball do anything other than hook, slice, or pull, depending on where the face is pointing?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Gary, if the body was still and only the arms moved like a revolving door, then yes, you would be right. The clubface would only be square at one point.
But the body isn't still.
It's moving forward and turning.
As the clubface comes into impact, your lower half is driving towards your front foot, therefor creating a flat spot in the arc below your head
This is why it's important to keep turning through the ball.
This creates a swing that would best be described as in to square, square, square then in.
Hope that makes sense :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Gary, if the body was still and only the arms moved like a revolving door, then yes, you would be right. The clubface would only be square at one point.
As the clubface comes into impact, your lower half is driving towards your front foot, therefor creating a flat spot in the arc below your head
This creates a swing that would best be described as in to square, square, square then in.

Beat me to it Bob

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I agree but with a slight difference. As described above it gives the impression that the club is square for a relatively long time, I prefer to think of it this way...

If you 'swing your arms like a revolving door' then your swing is in.square.in

If you rotate/drive on to your left side into the ball a little bit then your swing is in.in.square.in

If you drive through more then your swing is in.in.in.in.square.in

and if you really drive through the you could be in.in.in.in.in.in.in.in.in.square.in

All you need to do is make sure you consistently impact the ball where the face is closest to square for the least deviation in ball flight - simples