Shoulder injury (diagnose me)

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was having some niggling issues with my right shoulder and then 3 weeks back I felt something ‘go', at that time I thought it was a muscle strain. Next day had a nagging ache in the joint and pain when raising my arm. 3 weeks later I have a constant nagging pain at the back of the joint, extreme pain if I try and twist my arm to get my right hand into my right hand back pocket and extreme pain at the front of the joint when I try and hit a ball.

I presume it’s caused by hitting golf balls (or more likely missing the ball and hitting the ground) and I presume it is not healing quickly because of my age.

I also presume, some others must have had the same injury – what is it and what do I need to fix it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was having some niggling issues with my right shoulder and then 3 weeks back I felt something ‘go', at that time I thought it was a muscle strain. Next day had a nagging ache in the joint and pain when raising my arm. 3 weeks later I have a constant nagging pain at the back of the joint, extreme pain if I try and twist my arm to get my right hand into my right hand back pocket and extreme pain at the front of the joint when I try and hit a ball.

I presume it’s caused by hitting golf balls (or more likely missing the ball and hitting the ground) and I presume it is not healing quickly because of my age.

I also presume, some others must have had the same injury – what is it and what do I need to fix it?
Maybe a doctor? :LOL: It sounds to me like a classic case of hurty shoulder.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I had a rotator cuff injury which sounds suspiciously similar. I got mine falling while skiing and it took about 4 months to heal up. Just had to take it easy and do some exercises

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
4 months!

if it fixes at all; https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rotator-cuff-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20350225

"Sometimes, rotator cuff tears may occur as a result of a single injury. In those circumstances, medical evaluation should be provided as soon as possible to discuss the role of surgery. Extensive rotator cuff tears may not be fixable, and transfer of alternative tendons or joint replacement may be possible."

Expert medical attention ASAP before you do any more damage; that one can be a bugger to fix.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The shoulder is the human equivalent of a car engine that bizarrely works despite being mostly held together by sellotape and rust. But once it breaks, it can be rather difficult to put it back together again.

"Feeling something go" is classic ligament/tendon, rather than bony injury, territory. See a sports medicine doctor (if you have private cover). The advice will include rest. More of it than you will want, but natural healing is your best option if possible. Don't over do the paracetamol.

Last edited:

The Fader

Visit site
I had a rotator cuff injury which sounds suspiciously similar. I got mine falling while skiing and it took about 4 months to heal up. Just had to take it easy and do some exercises

Sounds just like the injury my son suffered a few years ago.

Sports physio prescribed rest - 2 months from memory and then gradual strengthening of the shoulder using resistance bands. Took him about 6 months to get fully back to health. But swinging golf clubs in a fashion after about 4 months

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Sounds like your rotator cuff. Advice is plain and simple - go and see your GP.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said probably rotator cuff

Go to a doctor only a ultra sound scan can tell if you have torn a ligament or just strained one.

If it is a strain only they may well just give you a cortisone injection. Did mine 5 years ago and still get the twinges. I quit practicing then as it is the repetitive nature of practice that can make it worse.

PS the Physio wanted me to give up the game for good.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had an ultra sound scan which showed that I have 1cm tear in the supraspinatus tendon (Rotator Cuff injury). I had a cortisone injection this morning (ouch)! I have a physio appointment for next Thursday.

I am convinced that this injury (like all my other injuries before it) was caused by smashing my body into the ground under the ball. And, it must be the case that there are multiple others on here who have had the same injury. My question to them is . . at what stage did you get back on the first tee e.g. as soon as you could do it with a few pain killers or not until you were told that you are back to 100%? Now six weeks since I hit a ball!!!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rotator cuffs are strange things. One person recovers fast and another will have a niggle for life. One thing for sure is if you think "it'll be alright" you'll find yourself back at square one very fast.

I done mine in quite bad in my 20's. Is a right pain in the ass (or shoulder)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I did mine quite badly in Dec 2005. Impact with a car bonnet. It still hurts every day and every night.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had an ultra sound scan which showed that I have 1cm tear in the supraspinatus tendon (Rotator Cuff injury). I had a cortisone injection this morning (ouch)! I have a physio appointment for next Thursday.

I am convinced that this injury (like all my other injuries before it) was caused by smashing my body into the ground under the ball. And, it must be the case that there are multiple others on here who have had the same injury. My question to them is . . at what stage did you get back on the first tee e.g. as soon as you could do it with a few pain killers or not until you were told that you are back to 100%? Now six weeks since I hit a ball!!!
When you do recover spend sometime learning to pick the ball off the turf, like Tom Watson. No divots!!
Hitting the rock hard ground in summer isn’t good for your shoulders .
Especially if there is a tree root underneath.:(

CrapshotUK

Visit site
I had a similar issue which niggled for approx 2 years, I couldn't lift my hand above shoulder height.

I had a cortisone injection and within 10 minutes it had gone, not sure if mine was torn though?

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar issue which niggled for approx 2 years, I couldn't lift my hand above shoulder height.
I had a cortisone injection and within 10 minutes it had gone, not sure if mine was torn though?

WOW that was great for you. . . . me . . . 24 hrs after injection I can't detect any improvement whatsoever. Looking it up on google and it suggests that improvement comes anywhere from immediately to 2 weeks later. So many questions, so few answers !!

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Update for those that read this in the future. . . .

12 days after the cortisone injection and I have about 95% pain free movement. I haven't hit a golf ball but suspect that if I did I would 'feel' it and I don't know if that would cause further damage or set me back. I have asked the physio these questions (can I take pain killers and play golf) and I don't get a clear answer. The most significant and most curious difference is that for years (3/4./5) I have had a problem when I slept on my right shoulder, my hand would go numb and my shoulder would ache like toothache . . . that's all stopped - I can now sleep on my right side and my hand doesn't go numb! So what you might ask? . . . . it seems to follow from that, that this current injury has been lingering there for years waiting to snap!!! Could I have done anything before it snapped to stop it snapping - I don't know.