Help with this drill..

evemccc

Visit site
Help please…

I think I need to practice with purpose more and ‘play’ less golf. My aim is to improve my ball-striking this winter/ spring, specifically I want to thin it less and cut out fats totally. I’ll do this by going to the range more and hitting a ball into a net at my club before every round there.

(My bad shot with irons is to thin it. Sometimes I fat it but mostly the ball goes pretty straight but thin)

I need to improve weight transfer (I have a habit of going forward too early, as moving forward and transferring weight is my main swing thought, and then fatting it)

I think the drill that will help most with this is the towel under the trail arm drill - because this should keep my right/trail arm tucked in to my body to stop separation between arm/body and this prevents me from getting stuck behind….AM I RIGHT?

Does this drill help with improving strike? If not what is this drill for?

What other drills would you recommend?
Thanks

Jason.H

Visit site
Take a video with your phone from behind you or face on to make sure you’re not swaying. Also attention to detail with ball positioning. When I started playing golf again I would vary ball position to much depending on wind behind or into and struggled to get consistent strikes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a bit confused.
When you say you've thinned it do you mean you're hitting the ball around the equator with the leading edge of the club and the ball stays very low?

Jason.H

Visit site
A “thin can be as the club is coming down and hitting the equator or the club has bottomed out before and is coming slightly up again hitting the equator. I guess a top would be sticking above the equator pushing the ball down.

evemccc

Visit site
I'm a bit confused.
When you say you've thinned it do you mean you're hitting the ball around the equator with the leading edge of the club and the ball stays very low?

I don’t know where I hit the ball..I guess bottom groove or so..possibly equator. It goes lowish - but I wouldn’t say very low.

A common bad shot is for me to thin it with an iron so that ball flies on a lower traj than it should. I wouldn’t say it’s very low and it’s different to an awfully bladed wedge shot that is knee height.

It isn’t usually disastrous and it works ‘enough’ as the ball goes straight and has distance — but it’s not a good shot and I won’t get lower and improve to single figures without an improvement in this area.

I’m curious as to the towel under trail arm drill…what’s it supposed to help with?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm just trying to get an idea of your angle of attack.
A thin would normally be caused by a shallow angle of attack with no divot, whereas a fat would be a steeper angle of attack.
It would be important to know which you are doing to be able to help.

I would not recommend the towel drill as that just encourages a very flat/inside backswing

evemccc

Visit site
I'm just trying to get an idea of your angle of attack.
A thin would normally be caused by a shallow angle of attack with no divot, whereas a fat would be a steeper angle of attack.
It would be important to know which you are doing to be able to help.

I would not recommend the towel drill as that just encourages a very flat/inside backswing

I am pretty sure it’s a shallow AoA…I tend to hit my driver lower on the face than I’d like too…and have medium-lowish ball flight with driver so that leads me to think it’s a shallow AoA

Incidentally what’s the towel trail arm drill supposed to cure?

Thanks for comments and advice so far

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I am pretty sure it’s a shallow AoA…I tend to hit my driver lower on the face than I’d like too…and have medium-lowish ball flight with driver so that leads me to think it’s a shallow AoA

Incidentally what’s the towel trail arm drill supposed to cure?

Thanks for comments and advice so far

The towel drill simply put is supposed keep the arm and body 'connected' whatever that means.

If you feel you want to increase your angle of attack, try this drill....
Hit the front ball but not the back ball.
You may want to replace the back ball with a rolled up towel or something similar and softer.