Anyone ever joined a golf club on their own?

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm keen to play more, improve and enjoy the golf course. Problem I have is not having many golf playing friends, at least none that live nearby!

So I'm looking to join a local club next year, without knowing anyone. I presume that most clubs are friendly enough places to find playing partners?

I just don't want to turn up and look like a Billy no mates... :)

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have joined my last two clubs on my own due to moving about a lot through my old job. I have found that both times it took a few weeks to get to know people but if you enter a few comps you soon get known and will find a regular group that play together.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did.

You need to put in some effort and try and mingle so that you can get some games. Im happy at mine because on Sundays they have a start sheet where you just put your name on whatever time you want, so gets me playing with different people.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I joined my current club on my own - turned up when it was busy asked the Pro if there was someone who I could join up with to get 3 Cards marked. Was overheard by some guys who were just about to go out they said they played same time every Saturday and if I wanted I could join them. Still there 6 years later with same group.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I did it 2 months ago!Still only know one person (who i knew through the forum) but i'm enjoying playing on my own at the moment. Great way of de-stressing as work is pretty hectic at the moment, and working on my game.

The major drawback is that i have to tee off pretty early/late to get round as i play so much faster than the groups that are out. I rarely play 18 unless i get out before the crowds on a Sunday morning, i get fed up waiting around on every shot, but that's my problem.

Hopefully get to know a few folk next season when i start playing the competitions etc (not allowed at the moment as i'm still on the waiting list for full membership)

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been a member of several clubs over the last 10 years,i've always moved/joined clubs alone.
Only know one member at my present club,but will put my name down on the draw sheets and try to meet as many members by playing alongside them in the comps.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did too, got a regular 4 ball going within a few weeks and made a heap full of friends before the end of my first 3 months.

Golf clubs on the whole are friendly welcoming places, just make the effort, no one in a group is going to "bother" you on your own, you have to "bother" them!

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
yeah, i joined my club on my own. i live in bath, but work mainly in plymouth/portsmouth. i know a handful of people at the club, but as im only home at weekends, and sometimes away for 8 months at a time, i dont have a regular game. i enjoy playing on my own early morning at weekends or in comps.

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
Joined a club on my own overseas and just rolled up to play. I was tqken aback how friendly and welcoming most members were. I was soon playing in a regular group. Picked up a great habit from this experience of always asking lone players if they want to join our group. Most clubs have roll ups where you just turn up and put your name down. This is a good way to start.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I had to join on my own as my golf playing mate was working that day so he had to join the day after. ;) We're changing clubs next year but to be honest I don't think I would if I didn't know anybody. Talking to someone a few weeks back and he was telling us about the worst days golf he had ever had when he won a round of golf for 1 at a fairly posh club and he stood near the 1st tee asking to join 2 and 3 balls and they all said no he couldn't.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
joined last year as a novice, still at that stage, but now know a lot more people through playing with different groups on competiton day and by playing the roll up on sundays.

and thanks to Golf Monthly have met and played with many more people.

backspin22

Club Champion
Visit site
I've had to move house a few times and also have to pick my times to suit PL kick-offs , due to my desire to support my team.I normally play at hangover time (1300) so most of my mates are around there, but I've met a lot of good lads, both at 0800 and 1300.
If you're a decent lad, know your etiquette, you won't have trouble finding decent playing partners. Some clubs are a bit up themselves - maybe ask around a bit before joining.
If you occasionally find yourself amongst tossers, they're tossers. If you always find yourself amongst tossers, it's you. :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club is pretty good with new members. We have a number of roll ups over the weekend and the pro and the steward are pretty good at putting people in touch with the guys that run them. Of course there is a degree of having to put yourself out as well.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've done it once, it was OK.

I stayed there for a few years before other stuff meant I stopped playing there.

Do some research, make sure they have roll ups (not all clubs do) and make sure the comps have a sign up sheet/random draw.

gazrow

Club Champion
Visit site
I joined my club on my own and they have a buddying system, where they pair you up with an experienced member to 'show you the ropes.' It may be worth asking local clubs if they have anything like that in place.

Failing that, you'll find that golf clubs are amongst the friendliest places to be!

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I joined on my own. It was fairly painless. I played with quite a lot of different people who were all very welcoming and after a couple of months had a regular 4 ball which is still going strong.

As others have said, you have to put yourself out there and ask for a game.