Any washing machine plumbers ... .

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
My dad tells me his washing machine won't empty the remaining water

Sounds like pump dead. It's pretty old now so he's ordered a new one, but they won't take the old one away if it's got water in it. He's got it down to bottom of the drum,level but can't get anything in to symphony it out.

Any suggestions ?

C

c1973

Don't buy the new one from the folks who won't take away the old one, buy it from someone who will.

Seriously, I'd disconnect it put the hose into a basin and tip the machine till most of the water comes out. You won't get it completely empty and in all probability there will be a little water spilled.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't buy the new one from the folks who won't take away the old one, buy it from someone who will.

Seriously, I'd disconnect it put the hose into a basin and tip the machine till most of the water comes out. You won't get it completely empty and in all probability there will be a little water spilled.

Yep, the first bit was my logic too!

He says that the hose is substantially inside the back of the machine which seems odd.
I'll have to get his next door neighbour to help him do the tipping - thanks for the hint

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you (Dad) disconnected the drain hose from the sink drainage pipework yet?
Normally when you get the open end of the hose lower than the water gravity will take over without the need for the pump.
Put the open end in a bucket and it should drain most of it (just flows through/past pump impeller).
If it doesn't then there may be a blockage in the pipe/pump.
Don't look too hard in case it was just a simple blockage leading to new machine!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you (Dad) disconnected the drain hose from the sink drainage pipework yet?
Normally when you get the open end of the hose lower than the water gravity will take over without the need for the pump.
Put the open end in a bucket and it should drain most of it (just flows through/past pump impeller).
If it doesn't then there may be a blockage in the pipe/pump.
Don't look too hard in case it was just a simple blockage leading to new machine!
Thanks John. That's what I let him with tonight. Well see tomorrow

Appreciate the reply

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My machine has a inspection flap at the front where you can access the pump impeller. This can be blocked with stuff that falls out of pockets etc. Under the same flap there's also a small drain hose which will also expel some of the water if pump fails.

Only 20-30 quid for a new pump!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
My machine has a inspection flap at the front where you can access the pump impeller. This can be blocked with stuff that falls out of pockets etc. Under the same flap there's also a small drain hose which will also expel some of the water if pump fails.

Only 20-30 quid for a new pump!
Had that myself it took 15 mins to change the pump, theres videos on Youtube showing you how to do it

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys
I know it sound simple but my dad is 81 and on his own miles away, so quite simple but I appreciate the advice.
We got one of his neighbours to go round and they tipped it on its side and drained it.

So thanks again - great forum this for the non golf needs :)