Advice - Washing machine not draining

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a blocked pressure system.
If it wont take much if any water, it thinks it already full and because the pressure system wont clear the machine thinks it full of water and thus wont allow it to spin.

Checking of the pump though is easy. With the coin trap removed, you should be able to see the pump impellor at the back which should have magnetic resistance as you turn it. If the impellor is free and almost springs from percentage turn to the next I would say it doesnt look like the pump, however sometime they do "stall" when starting up so then they dont drain. Likewise Ive had quite a few where the impellor detaches leaving a ratlling pump that doesnt drain:)

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea on the fixes, but on a purchase we've always bought a Hotpoint. They last, well not forever but 10years+. This current one is about 8 years old. Not a problem.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whenever I've had that kind of problem with a washing machine it has tended to be due to something like a coin in the pump impeller jamming it. Most machines have a removable cover that allows you to check and remove an object. Its normally behind a removable strip at the front bottom edge.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whenever I've had that kind of problem with a washing machine it has tended to be due to something like a coin in the pump impeller naming it. Most machines have a removable cover that allows you to check and remove an object. Its normally behind a removable strip at the front bottom edge.
You are right, it's what most of the YouTube clips show as well. I've checked that, all is clear. The next step is to take it apart but that is above my skillset. I can take things apart but fixing them and putting them back together is a whole different story. I'm waiting for a proper person now.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are right, it's what most of the YouTube clips show as well. I've checked that, all is clear. The next step is to take it apart but that is above my skillset. I can take things apart but fixing them and putting them back together is a whole different story. I'm waiting for a proper person now.
Did you check the impeller rotates freely when you turn it with a finger, they can get gunked up and need a bit of pressure to free them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you check the impeller rotates freely when you turn it with a finger, they can get gunked up and need a bit of pressure to free them.
To be honest I'm not sure what that is, even after googling. The filter is clear when I remove it. There is a twirly thing behind that that spins freely and is clear of any gunk. If it's something more substantial than that, needs the top removing, then I'm best leaving it alone.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure what that is, even after googling. The filter is clear when I remove it. There is a twirly thing behind that that spins freely and is clear of any gunk. If it's something more substantial than that, needs the top removing, then I'm best leaving it alone.
The twirly thing is the pump impeller ??

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Beko washing machine. Clothes have been coming out wet, now it locks the door but little water goes in before cutting off. I've unscrewed the filter but it's clear, nothing blocked.

Any suggestions? It's about 4 years old.

I'm guessing it's pump related but before I get a proper person out I'd like to check here first.

Have you switched it off and on again?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a similar problem, though different brand, a while ago. Not long afterwards, the sink (common outlet) wouldn't drain, so flushed with drain clearer. Retried the washibg machine a couple of days later and problem had gone! And has been fine since!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a similar problem, though different brand, a while ago. Not long afterwards, the sink (common outlet) wouldn't drain, so flushed with drain clearer. Retried the washibg machine a couple of days later and problem had gone! And has been fine since!
A common problem with people flushing the fatty contents of their plates and pans down the sink when the washing machine and/or dishwasher are on sealed spigots on that sink waste;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Proper man came around:

Carbon brushes are fully worn down
Pump is goosed
Mother board (or similar, I was spinning at this point) has burnt out, possibly linked to the above

£220 to fix.

New machine getting delivered on Thursday

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Proper man came around:

Carbon brushes are fully worn down
Pump is goosed
Mother board (or similar, I was spinning at this point) has burnt out, possibly linked to the above

£220 to fix.

New machine getting delivered on Thursday

Lightweight; there's got to be YouTube videos for fixing these... :);)