Advice - Washing machine not draining

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair point, definite lightweight. Far too many things for me to get wrong plus how do you get your arms in those spaces without scraping your skin constantly? Mystifies me :unsure:
It's simple......you don't worry about leaking claret, just clean up after yourself:)
Sadly though the drive to satisfy the consumers desire to pay £2.50 for that new washing machine has given us machine that are very difficult to repair cost wise and access for the engineer.
But it's ok, enviromental issues are one sided;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's simple......you don't worry about leaking claret, just clean up after yourself:)
Sadly though the drive to satisfy the consumers desire to pay £2.50 for that new washing machine has given us machine that are very difficult to repair cost wise and access for the engineer.
But it's ok, enviromental issues are one sided;)
A question for you. Wearing brushes seems to be a constant issue. Is there merit in saying after 3 years, Mr Repair Man, please come and replace all the brushes please? A service in effect?

If not, is there a way of knowing when they do need replacing?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A question for you. Wearing brushes seems to be a constant issue. Is there merit in saying after 3 years, Mr Repair Man, please come and replace all the brushes please? A service in effect?

Carbon brushes vary in hardness and thus how quickly they wear you also have to factor in usage amounts. For example, the old Hotpoints had carbon brushes that were made of putty, and latest a couple of years whereas Bosch had Miele brushes lasted at least 10 years and still do.
Whilst someone selling a reconditioned machine might replace the brushes before selling it but as a consumer whilst changing the brushes every so long may help that side of things, you will still have a build up of carbon dust within the motor as well as the possible damage of running the motor more than might be expected with new brushes that need bedding in when newThis can cause a small amount of arcing on the armature which may be damaged long term by multiple sets of new brushes.
Many new motor are now brushless, in a through back to the old induction motors but with smart electronics to control the speed in a better way.

In answer to your question......no I wouldn’t change brushes until they are needed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I know on Hotpoint changing brushes is possible and a relatively easy job if you are competent enough. Got about 4 years on my last machine before they need changing. It became fairly obvious when the drum would struggle to rotate properly. Some makes use brushless or sealed unit motors and the cannot be changed anyway.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our first Hoover washing machines lasted 30 years.
Much like Triggers brush , new suspension springs, controller, heater and various other parts replaced over the years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know on Hotpoint changing brushes is possible and a relatively easy job if you are competent enough. Got about 4 years on my last machine before they need changing. It became fairly obvious when the drum would struggle to rotate properly. Some makes use brushless or sealed unit motors and the cannot be changed anyway.
It would be ideal if the machines had a warning light, similar to on cars, so that when the brushes got below a certain depth it came up and you knew they needed to be changed. As it stands you don't know until the problem is on you. The only warning signs for us were in the last 4-5 days and that may have even been too late.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be ideal if the machines had a warning light, similar to on cars, so that when the brushes got below a certain depth it came up and you knew they needed to be changed. As it stands you don't know until the problem is on you. The only warning signs for us were in the last 4-5 days and that may have even been too late.
Interesting idea, but would never happen just because of the injury risk to the uninitiated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting idea, but would never happen just because of the injury risk to the uninitiated.
Does the same not apply to cars as well? If a light comes on in my car I take it to a garage, some would try at home. If a light came on the washing machine I'd ring the repair man, some would watch a YouTube video. It's the way of things.

I take your point. Water, electrics and fools are not a good mix.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I worked at Harworth pit, one of my very first customers in the medical centre was due to an accident at home. He changed the motor on his washing machine and was turning the power on,off,on,off,on ,off etc etc. His forearm touched the motor and the power was on. It put a right hole in his arm and grabbed him. He couldn’t let go. His Missis turned the power off. He was still shaking like a dog crapping when he got to me 20 mins later. I sent him to hospital.
For me there are little jobs on washing machines some folk can do, but there are certain jobs where trying to save a few quid can cost lives.
Funnily enough me and Missis T went to Majorca a couple of years ago and the guy I treated was in our hotel. We had a right old laugh about it talking about old times