Any tips to improve my short game? Basic drills etc

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The last couple of times I've played my short game well play around the greens has been embarrassing. I've never hit the ball as long or straight as I have been lately. If my ball lands on the edge of the green so a little chip and run or a nice little floated lob shot is needed its like a yoyo from one side to the next. What would you guys recommend as to drills etc as I can't let it go on.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
david pelz cant help himself but chuckle a little at how easy, the basic chip shot is. if you follow his set up and technique here you simply cant go wrong. its the distance control you have to work on yourself. the technique is simple. if you do this, you will never really make a complete mess of what is essentially a lot easier shot than any full shot in golf.

hope this helps pal!

[video=youtube;S2ueDwu2cXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ueDwu2cXk[/video]

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Once you have settled on your stance and style (ie. feeling the shot distance or mechanical Pelz style 'this length of swing') it all comes down to practice.
My personal advice is try to settle on one club for the majority of your shots and a standard ball type.
Once you have these things go to a practice chipping green and see what happens. If you hit hundreds of shots with the same club & ball you will start to see how it reacts and where it goes.
My routine (I try to keep) is arrive, chip, putt then go and play the round. This way you get your 'eye & swing' before you need to do it for real on the course.