Another Rules Question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had a situation come up in our fourball this morning that none of us knew the answer to, and I also can't find it on the R&A site. That might be because it's obvious but I thought I'd ask here.

All 4 players have teed off, including 1 extra ball as a provisional.

Player A mistakenly plays player B's provisional ball thinking it's his own, then throws what he thinks is Player B's provisional ball over to him but it's really his own ball.

I know it's a 2 shot penalty for playing a stroke at a wrong ball, but once he's picked his original ball up is it then an automatic NR on that hole or can he drop his ball (with or without penalty) where it was and continue?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player A played a wrong ball, and that is a 2 shot penalty. The ball he wrongly played is replaced and Player B plays on without penalty under the normal rules for a provisional. As far as Player B is concerned, nothing happened that affects him. He may still find the original and trouser the provisional, or he may play the provisional.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But what we weren't sure of was if player A is allowed to replace his ball that he mistakenly picked up thinking it was player B's provisional, and carry on with it?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Player A breached 2 separate rules here and as 2 separate acts caused these then penalties apply for both.

First breach was playing wrong ball so 2 stroke penalty. Rule 15-3.

As Ethan said he must replace Player B ball as close as possible to the spot he played it from but not in the divot. Player B is entitled, in equity, to the same lie and conditions that had been present before Player A played his ball.

Second breach was lifting a ball. This is covered by Rule 18-2. Ball at rested moved. He incurs a further 1 stroke penalty and must replace the ball. Failure to do so correctly is a 2 stroke penalty.

Player A also deserves to be made buy the group a drink for causing so much hassle. Either that or both he and B should both buy the drinks if they had not made their balls easily identifiable by adding a mark to them.

If you are player A then shame on you ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks chaps.

Incidentally, player B's provisional ball didn't need to be replaced as he'd (I'd) found my original, which is why player A picked up his own ball (thinking it was my provisional) to throw it back to me.

I knew you lot would put me straight :)

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They'd be a difference if player and A and B were on the same team (e.g. betterball) as they would be partners at that point. Player B would thnn occur penalties under the appropriate rule (18-2?).