Another Mass Shooting in the US

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
i often wonder if we had a completely uncontrolled gun culture in the UK would we have a similar problem???

Maybe not with the mass shootings but maybe every petty squabble and road rage incident ending up with people reaching for a gun.
I think it would be more likely that these levels would increase dramatically as the access to guns would be far easier. People react badly now with fists, feet, clubs, knives or whatever else comes to hand when they lose it. Our gun laws have been tightened since Hungerford and Dunblane. The Australians did the same after the Port Arthur Massacre. We learned and changed the laws.

The Americans haven't and so it will continue. Their response is to give more armed guards. But where do you stop with that? Armed guards everywhere? Strengthening up the death penalty rules will just make the killers feel like they've nothing to lose. They'll get executed for one as much as for one hundred.
Until the gun lobby loses its influence then this will continue.

A nephew of my partner put a video on Facebook from the NRA about how people wanted firearms in the UK. It was a mixture of total fabrication, misrepresentation of the facts and outright lies and I told him so. But he believed it till I put him straight as they think everyone else thinks like them.
Obama tried to restrict gun sales but he was kicked back despite his best efforts.

Look at all the American films that glamorise the use of guns as the only way to resolve any situation. The ease of getting guns, and the sheer number currently in circulation now means that even if you did start restricting them, the problem won't go away.

I wish there could be a change as too many poor innocent people are being killed, but if all these massacres don't make anyone change their mind, then nothing will.

This recent BBC article makes interesting reading.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
being reported that the shooter is a US marine veteran......guess that throws water over their ideas of having armed veterans on the entrances to places of worship and other public gatherings.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
being reported that the shooter is a US marine veteran......guess that throws water over their ideas of having armed veterans on the entrances to places of worship and other public gatherings.

Which is rather different to what I heard reported very early on - 'suspect bearded and of middle-eastern appearance' - no kidding. Well that was LBC so what should I expect...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will try and take this on board. I accept my mannerisms may not be to everyone's liking and how I put things across and will try and adjust accordingly.

fwiw, a post like yours to me is far better than just rolling out the old troll comment, yours was constructive.
Perhaps its starements like this one "I will play devils advocate " that brings out peoples impression of you.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i often wonder if we had a completely uncontrolled gun culture in the UK would we have a similar problem???

Maybe not with the mass shootings but maybe every petty squabble and road rage incident ending up with people reaching for a gun.
I would say just as bad, if not worse as we are much more compact in our population density.
Our issue with knives is bad enough, and even now we still have gang shootings mixed in. The more force you use to "defend" yourself, the more force is meted out against you.
I hope that we never routenely arm our police because of the message it gives to those ready to use or accept lethal force.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I will play devils advocate and question what some see as the norm (y)
Here's me thinking it was a forum for discussing opinions, my mistake.

Fair enough and that is what the forum is for, but if a particular poster gets too argumentative and doesn't accept that others have different opinions, then that poster will find the mods taking an unhealthy interest

less is often more and knowing when to stop is an art form that should be practiced regularly

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

The sad thing is mass shootings probably would. Look at incidents with people running cars into crowds to kill people. Now give them access to military grade weapons, although not automatic. Would you mess around with using a car, or just pull up and open fire? Running a car into a crowd will injure some and maybe kill 1 or 2. Open up with an AR15 loaded with 30 rounds and a lot more people will die.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Missed this early so will give a reply, though you and most probably won't like it.

Do I feel compassion to those who are/were effected by such events, 100% definitely however, to contradict that, what has happened has absolutely no bearing on my life, I read it/see it, then move along with whatever is next in my day, be that the kettle boiling or the door bell going.

So is real terms, in answer to your question, no, not really, that doesn't mean I have no humanity or compassion, for me it's just another event, sad and tragic but much like my local footballs teams result, a nano second later, I'm not really bothered.

Quite frankly what troubles me more in this world is the treatment the human race dishes out to animals, not how the human race treats each other, and that is being said as a meat eater.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Missed this early so will give a reply, though you and most probably won't like it.

Do I feel compassion to those who are/were effected by such events, 100% definitely however, to contradict that, what has happened has absolutely no bearing on my life, I read it/see it, then move along with whatever is next in my day, be that the kettle boiling or the door bell going.

So is real terms, in answer to your question, no, not really, that doesn't mean I have no humanity or compassion, for me it's just another event, sad and tragic but much like my local footballs teams result, a nano second later, I'm not really bothered.

Quite frankly what troubles me more in this world is the treatment the human race dishes out to animals, not how the human race treats each other, and that is being said as a meat eater.

You really are the biggest **** on here. You are comparing people dying with the result of your local footie team? Over here you have to be careful incase someone pulls a gun on you. BAck home you have to watch out for someone pulling a knife. The world is on a social decline, look at things that have happened in London regarding vehicles getting driven into crowds, or when that soldier got hacked to death in the street in broad daylight.

Put your blinkers on if you want but there is a problem everywhere in the western world and it is only going to get worse. When we going to see another Dunblane in the UK? The mass shooting thing in the US, is becoming a real problem. YEs it has always been there but not on a scale that it is now. Down the road from me a few days ago a kid took a gun to school and shot another kid just because they had an argument. Think about that over your next cup of tea, kids taking guns to schools to sort out someone they had an argument with.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As if this wasn't dreadful enough, it now transpires that one of the victims of this survived the Las Vegas shooting incident. To add to it the town of Thousand Oaks is apparently under an evacuation order for the wildfires currently raging in California.

Wolf

Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49221936

Another mass shooting in the US 😢

Keep thinking that one day they wake up to reality of their gun laws

Obviously Trump won’t call it terrorism even though it is
Was just reading about this myself. 2nd mass shooting in a week what with the one in California.

At time I've posted this there's been another reported shooting in Dayton Ohio, with a further 20 reportedly killed.

They'll never get rid of the ridiculous 2nd Amendment that effectively makes this possible. Such an easy law to change and prevent these issues, yet they argue the solution is more people to carry guns.

I'm 100% with you Phil it's terrorism pure and simple but it's not just Trump that won't say it is but the majority of the US,.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/dayton-ohio-active-shooter-shooting/

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a ton of American friends on social media and as usual the responses are 50-50. Half think it's terrible and all guns should be banned. The other half thinks it's terrible and every mall owner and teacher should be armed.

And so it goes on and on and on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
America will keep shooting itself until the end of time.
There are too many guns already in circulation
It can't be stopped, it's gone too far.
I hope America is proud.
And we're becoming sensitised to it.
It almost reads like there's been another crash on the M1...another everyday thing that gets a mention on the news and then gets forgotten about.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So another 20 innocent people die in America at the hands of a lone gunman.
The Texas state Attorney General Ken Paxton said.......

''gun control would probably not have stopped the attack.

He added that if a "crazy" gunman launched such an attack, there was no way that law enforcement officers could be there to stop it.

"The best way is to be prepared to defend yourself,"

So, more guns needed then.

Trump sent his thoughts and prayers

(Mod note , merged as this was a duplicate thread )

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf

Visit site
So another 20 innocent people die in America at the hands of a lone gunman.
The Texas state Attorney General Ken Paxton said.......

''gun control would probably not have stopped the attack.

He added that if a "crazy" gunman launched such an attack, there was no way that law enforcement officers could be there to stop it.

"The best way is to be prepared to defend yourself,"

So, more guns needed then.

Trump sent his thoughts and prayers

(Mod note , merged as this was a duplicate thread )
Just saw that on the news myself absolutely ridiculous statement and the reason these crimes will never stop.

Also saw the interview with the Marshall stating " they're treating it as a hate crime, because that's what it is without seeing the evidence, so we're trying to get ahead of the evidence" 🙄

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Are there too many guns in circulation in the US now? Maybe there are but surely its worth doing something about the number out there. After Hungerford and Dunblane the restrictions in the UK meant lots of guns were banned, and the restrictions for owning others were very much tightened up - it worked. Why can't the US ban certain types of guns? That way they won't affect the 2nd Amendment. Why can't the US authorities issue an ammunition ration card? Only so many bullets issued against a ration card, and the card to be accompanied by the return of 95% used shell cases.

There's options to improve things but it needs the political will to do so - oh well, never mind.