Another Golf Club Closure

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shame , one of the first courses I played at.

Was always well maintained back then when councils had money to look after parks and leisure.

Might have to try and have a last bash there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a shame, as with some proper investment it could be a really good course.
They have been redoing the range there for ages, and even got that wrong needing further remodelling.
Will try and get one last game there once the wetness has gone a little.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A couple more have just been announced

Newbold Comyn Golf Course and also here
Bushey Country Club

It's undoubtedly a concern across the entire sport. It's hard for Private or Members clubs but for municipal courses where councils are under pressure to reduce costs, closing golf courses has two benefits.
  • No more upkeep costs for the course.
  • A substantial slug of money for the land which can be very high value dependent upon location.

I'm not saying this is right as, like many, I cut my teeth on municipal courses and for many this is where they start and for some continue.

However, Private and Members clubs have to take some of the blame as, because of the declining membership figures, they reduce their day rates via groupon, etc. This means it is just as easy for the nomadic golfer to play a private course as a municipal. It also doesn't help private courses either as low day rates mean less people are likely to take up membership and instead just remain nomadic golfers.

It's been said, and I agree, that golf nowadays has become too cheap. On monthly outlay it's less than watching your local football team or gym membership or other such pastimes. It's a downward spiral.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple more have just been announcedNewbold Comyn Golf Course and also hereBushey Country ClubIt's undoubtedly a concern across the entire sport. It's hard for Private or Members clubs but for municipal courses where councils are under pressure to reduce costs, closing golf courses has two benefits.
  • No more upkeep costs for the course.
  • A substantial slug of money for the land which can be very high value dependent upon location.
I'm not saying this is right as, like many, I cut my teeth on municipal courses and for many this is where they start and for some continue. However, Private and Members clubs have to take some of the blame as, because of the declining membership figures, they reduce their day rates via groupon, etc. This means it is just as easy for the nomadic golfer to play a private course as a municipal. It also doesn't help private courses either as low day rates mean less people are likely to take up membership and instead just remain nomadic golfers. It's been said, and I agree, that golf nowadays has become too cheap. On monthly outlay it's less than watching your local football team or gym membership or other such pastimes. It's a downward spiral.

While I agree the lower pay and play rates mean less reason to play the poorer municipal courses I think the nomadic golf life is attractive to those that still want to play but have busy lives so don't feel a membership offers enough value or like to play more courses or cannot guarantee playing twice a week and probably plenty more reason.

I totally disagree with the cost side of it re other sport outside of the Premiership which is way way too expensive. My gym membership is £20 a month and that includes all sorts of sports, tennis, squash, soccer, badminton etc.

Golf is not a cheap sport. For my son and I including lessons and consumables (balls, food, bar bill, lessons, driving range) we are spending more than £200 a month. Add in new clubs and gear now and then and it very soon mounts up against other hobbies and that is without the time issue which is far greater than most other things.

Municipals closing is all to due to councils not being able to afford it. It is tough but golf will in time find it's level like all businesses it's just a shame what you lose on the way.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I saw yesterday that Bracknell Forest has transferred ownership and day to day running of Downshire Golf Course to a private company. I fear it won't be too long before this then goes the same way as Blue Mountain despite that supposedly being protected by a covenant.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are councils out there for which their municipal course is their greatest (and only) net contributor!

To achieve this they generally need to take a long term view and, from time to time, that may need investment and short term losses.

Council accounting makes this increasingly difficult, and downward spirals combined with the financial and political (housing quotas) benefits of selling with planning permission are obviously attractive.....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree it is sad that courses close, people lose jobs and that can cause all sorts of issues.

I feel we could save courses if they were instead maybe 9 or 12 holes, shorter courses and more open and playable.

We don’t need more long slog ultra hard courses with silly holes though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree it is sad that courses close, people lose jobs and that can cause all sorts of issues.

I feel we could save courses if they were instead maybe 9 or 12 holes, shorter courses and more open and playable.

Don't get the shorter bit at all.

The course initially referenced has both 1st and 10th at clubhouse, and you can get a 9 hole ticket (well you could when I played it every week).
We have an 18 and 9 currently and the 9 has it's own membership although full members can play it anytime, but few visitors come just to play it and those heading out for 9 holes in the evening will head out on the main course pretty much all the time (despite the 9 being excellent and interesting)
9 hole course just round the corner from me, open and short - and empty at the moment.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't get the shorter bit at all.

The course initially referenced has both 1st and 10th at clubhouse, and you can get a 9 hole ticket (well you could when I played it every week).
We have an 18 and 9 currently and the 9 has it's own membership although full members can play it anytime, but few visitors come just to play it and those heading out for 9 holes in the evening will head out on the main course pretty much all the time (despite the 9 being excellent and interesting)
9 hole course just round the corner from me, open and short - and empty at the moment.

Yet my course is 9 hole and very busy, good membership and good walk on's. There is room for both but maybe 9 hole for municipal would work, less maintenance and cost and some good income.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It is sad when any course closes, but council courses are so important to getting new players in. With private clubs, juniors are only really going to play if they have a parent at the club.

But cheap municipals teaming up with schools could easily get people who would never play the game otherwise into the sport.

Hounslow Heath has closed near me, although the private company that bought are building a driving range and pitch and putt it's not the same thing.

The course wasn't great but the front 9 especially had some interesting holes, if they worked on those 9 to get them up to scratch and built a proper club house that could have been a lovely 9 holer for beginners, and much much cheaper than any other club in the area

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The course in question is an 18 hole, with tee starts possible on the 1 st and 10th most of the time.
It also has a covered driving range that hasn’t long been remodelled with lots of incoming soil to level and lengthen it.
It also has a short 9 hole that was an 18 hole pitch and putt (and very popular in the better weather) as well as foot golf on the 9 hole.
As with all things Medway council related, the maintenance was put out to contract, at large expense and declining standards of maintenance on the courses.
Its easy to claim the course is making a loss when you have run it down and reduced numbers want to play it, but at the same time this course is wanted to be closed there is also another range closing on the same day in the Towns. For those who fancy trying the game the opportunities are reduced further.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Edinburgh is well served for council courses but with increasing pressure on their finances I think it’s only a matter of time before the council look seriously at closing some of them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yet my course is 9 hole and very busy, good membership and good walk on's. There is room for both but maybe 9 hole for municipal would work, less maintenance and cost and some good income.

Don't get me wrong, there are excellent 9 hole courses out there and they, like any other business, can be well run, busy and profitable.

What I couldn't understand was how changing an 18 of that nature into a 9, or 12, was expected to make it more attractive or profitable. All the experience around here is to the contrary.

Another example, one of the oldest and most enjoyable courses in the area is a 9, with good alternate tees on most holes to play as 18. It's right next door to both other established courses and many new ones from the 80/90 era. Has some of the best greens around. It seriously sturggles to attract mambers - as does another a few miles down the road and often referenced here when people ask about courses in the area where it's given the 'excellent course, great area but it's only 9 holes' tag.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, there are excellent 9 hole courses out there and they, like any other business, can be well run, busy and profitable.

What I couldn't understand was how changing an 18 of that nature into a 9, or 12, was expected to make it more attractive or profitable. All the experience around here is to the contrary.

Another example, one of the oldest and most enjoyable courses in the area is a 9, with good alternate tees on most holes to play as 18. It's right next door to both other established courses and many new ones from the 80/90 era. Has some of the best greens around. It seriously sturggles to attract mambers - as does another a few miles down the road and often referenced here when people ask about courses in the area where it's given the 'excellent course, great area but it's only 9 holes' tag.

Presumably because a 9 hole course take half the time to maintain than an 18 so greenkeeping overheads are less. The council could also sell off half of the land for development making a nice profit, whilst keeping the community asset running as a 9 hole golf course.

It's not perfect obviously but if the alternative is it closing altogether I would certainly prefer having a 9 hole golf course than no golf course