Andy Murray -champ or chump?

B

birdieman

Regardless of whether you like or loathe Andy Murray what do you reckon his chances are both today and potentially the final on Sunday.

Tennis isn't really my thing but I would like to see how he gets on today. I think he's carrying the UK flag rather than just the Scottish one quite well now and realises now he's a bit more mature that he needs the centre court(mainly English) crowd behind him.

I think he'll win today, probably in 4 sets, hopefully 3.

Can he win the title? - if he serves as well as he can and Federer isn't at his best then he has a chance but if you were a betting man the wise money will be on Fed. Murray has regularly beaten Federer in other events so that has to help psychologically.

C'mon Andy.

ps do you think he'll smile if he wins? ;)

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He's got a very good chance of winning both games, as long as he gets those first serves in! He is close to being the best returner and passing player in the game so at least he can rely on that if his serves aren't quite there.

On the whole Scottish/UK/English thing, i can't believe folk are still going on about it! I mean, he was asked the question whether or not he'd be supporting England at the world cup! What did they expect him to say???

I reckon he'll smile, then cry, then jump up to the galleries and hug his mum!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
He is the first British tennis player for sometime capable of winning the big games, Henman had his moments but you always knew he would fall short, Murray is different HE WILL WIN WIMBLEDON just not this year. IMO Federer needs to win to become the all time leading major winner so he will win at all costs, with Nadal out it is his best chance.

If it was Tiger to beat Big Jacks record we all know it would be in the bag before the first tee shot.

daftscotsman

Club Champion
www.sportsplates.co.uk
He has the ability to WIN... However, with all the hype in the press, can he do where 'Tiger Tim' failed? Henman cracked under the pressure form the media, no question about it!

Should we thank the Scottish Sun this morning for the heading "If Andy Murray beats Roddick today, he will be first Brit in a men's final for 71 years, play in front of a TV audience of over 20 Million and stand to rake in £100M... NO PRESSURE BIG MAN"

Do Tennis players from other countries suffer the same distractions while trying to win their first Major???.....DOUBTFUL!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
He has the ability to WIN... However, with all the hype in the press, can he do where 'Tiger Tim' failed? Henman cracked under the pressure form the media, no question about it!

Should we thank the Scottish Sun this morning for the heading "If Andy Murray beats Roddick today, he will be first Brit in a men's final for 71 years, play in front of a TV audience of over 20 Million and stand to rake in £100M... NO PRESSURE BIG MAN"

Do Tennis players from other countries suffer the same distractions while trying to win their first Major???.....DOUBTFUL!

Yes but this is britain we only want to build them up so we can enjoy knocking them back down as soon as they displease us.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hope he makes the final, Feds too, as I am going to be there (unless someone offers me 10,000 for my ticket).

Can he win? Not this year. He will win a slam, but probably somewhere else first. To break his duck at Wimbledon, with all the pressure will be tough.

My money is on Feds.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Champion in the making, by far the best tennis player we've ever had.

Andy Roddick is a tough match for him, the worlds best server against possibly the best return of the serve in the modern game. My money would be on Murray to win today, but perhaps a bit much to expect him to win on Sunday.

But saying that, Murray has got to take confidence from his record against Federer over the last 6 times they've met.

Come on Murray !!! Get in the hole !! You da man !! That's what I'm talking about !!

USA USA USA !!!!!

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be honest, patriotic as I am, (not!), I'm *so* hoping that Federer wins the title to get the world record number of grand slam wins. He's the best player who's ever lived, and I really don't think Andy can take him if Roger's on form.

I actually don't think Andy's going to beat Roddick anyway!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Chump,Hope he doesn't win anything.

Just petty jealousy because Andy Murray is very good at something

Maybe its due to his racist comments?

Whats racist about saying he doesn't want England to win?

Unpatriotic? Possibly but only if you believe that every one in England wants the rest of the Home Countries to do well?

He's our best tennis player bar none for a long time and at least he's got more about him than the likes of Beckham who is so bland they had to invent a new kind of beige.

B

birdieman

To be honest, patriotic as I am, (not!), I'm *so* hoping that Federer wins the title to get the world record number of grand slam wins. He's the best player who's ever lived, and I really don't think Andy can take him if Roger's on form.

For what it's worth I dont think anyone could touch Sampras on grass, he would have had far too much power and speed for Federer. He was awful to watch at Wimbledon but absolutely clinical. Federer also seems to have few quality opponents to beat in his slam career, thankfully Nadal came along to offer some competition.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

And the winner of the most pathetic post ever on this forum goes to........

It has been pointed out often enough by the journalist involved that there was nothing in his Murray's comments. He was just responding to jibes from the journo and Henman about how bad Scotland were and had failed to qualify (again!!)

Even if he really meant it, I can't believe you still get so worked up about it. I do not care if any Englishman wants Scotland to get thumped (or win for that matter). Why do you have the need to be loved by everyone. It's time some of you grew up and moved on.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

Englishness isn't a race, so it can't be racist
So not only is your comment pathetic, it's factually wrong.

Just got to love it when the Scots get wound up... It was a tongue in cheek comment in regards to the previous thread that went on forever.

Please don't get your English taxpayers free education in a twist ;)

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Englishness isn't a race, so it can't be racist
So not only is your comment pathetic, it's factually wrong.

Just got to love it when the Scots get wound up... It was a tongue in cheek comment in regards to the previous thread that went on forever.

Please don't get your English taxpayers free education in a twist ;)

No probs Parmo, maybe a wee smiley to let us know wouldn't go amiss next time.
I'm off now for a spot of birthday shopping. A new wedge methinks.