And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
More up to date, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta. What value on them? Great names you picked there though.

I still can't believe jive got Pirlo on a free!

iniesta was a relative late bloomer. Before Pep took over at barca I remember he was always subbed on the hour, either on or off. Seemed Ryjkaard didn't know best how to use him. For me he's the best of that barca midfield. Has all the typical barca passing ability, but also a bit more directness to his game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Zidane was one of the best midfielders I've ever seen. Did it at every level, club and international, tournaments as well. It would be a scary figure for him if Pogba is worth £100m.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What about Ronaldo (Proper Ronaldo), Figo and Zidane in their primes.

Controversial maybe, but I think figo would probably only go for a similar figure now as he did then, back then he was exactly what clubs expected of advanced wingers. Nowadays his goals ratio wouldn't get him mentioned against the names of messi, Ronaldo or bale.

a stoker like Ronaldo now would be silly money. The record he had, even after all the injuries was sublime. Can still recall him getting a standing ovation at old Trafford after he dumped Utd out of the CL.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Controversial maybe, but I think figo would probably only go for a similar figure now as he did then, back then he was exactly what clubs expected of advanced wingers. Nowadays his goals ratio wouldn't get him mentioned against the names of messi, Ronaldo or bale.

a stoker like Ronaldo now would be silly money. The record he had, even after all the injuries was sublime. Can still recall him getting a standing ovation at old Trafford after he dumped Utd out of the CL.

As a huge football lover as a kid (and now) I grew up with them in their prime. Zidane was different class to watch and Ronaldo has to be up there as one of the best natural strikers going.

Obviously watching English football I grew up idolising Thierry Henry, what a truly sublime player he was. Can watch video's of him all day cause he was stunning to watch. That goal against United was just something else.

D

Deleted member 16999

City clearly have more money than sense.

I think Arsenal's Rob Holding will turn out to be a better player than Stones and Holding only cost £2M!!

:rofl: :rofl: mint :rofl: :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As a huge football lover as a kid (and now) I grew up with them in their prime. Zidane was different class to watch and Ronaldo has to be up there as one of the best natural strikers going.

Obviously watching English football I grew up idolising Thierry Henry, what a truly sublime player he was. Can watch video's of him all day cause he was stunning to watch. That goal against United was just something else.

Ronaldo was the first world star I really saw the career from start to finish. Remember seeing him play in Holland as a goofy teen (him not me) and didn't maybe understand how poor their league was / how good he was. I think his goalscoring record was phenomenal. The closest to him now I'd say is aguero for being a gaol scorer first and foremost.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ronaldo was the first world star I really saw the career from start to finish. Remember seeing him play in Holland as a goofy teen (him not me) and didn't maybe understand how poor their league was / how good he was. I think his goalscoring record was phenomenal. The closest to him now I'd say is aguero for being a gaol scorer first and foremost.

slightly different players but yeah Aguero has the same instinct about him.

He's by far the best striker in the premiership and has been the best we've seen for a while to be honest.

Favourite striker of recent years has been Drogba, he had absolutely everything you could want in a striker.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
slightly different players but yeah Aguero has the same instinct about him.

He's by far the best striker in the premiership and has been the best we've seen for a while to be honest.

Favourite striker of recent years has been Drogba, he had absolutely everything you could want in a striker.

Yeah, different styles. But both similarly lethal.

i liked drogba, thiught the English game suited him. And the partnership he had with lampard meant that his goalscoring limits were easily acceptable due to the amount of goals he assisted with. Shame he had the balance of a drunk man at last orders.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah, different styles. But both similarly lethal.

i liked drogba, thiught the English game suited him. And the partnership he had with lampard meant that his goalscoring limits were easily acceptable due to the amount of goals he assisted with. Shame he had the balance of a drunk man at last orders.

Drogba just had a fantastic knack of scoring goals at the right time!

Don't forget at the time Chelsea operated with 2 up front and Lampard close behind which meant Drogba wasn't the main focal point of attack.

He was an absolute defenders nightmare. Still absolutely tearing it up for Toronto, 19 goals in 23 games at the grand age of 38! Mickey Mouse league aside...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Drogba just had a fantastic knack of scoring goals at the right time!

Don't forget at the time Chelsea operated with 2 up front and Lampard close behind which meant Drogba wasn't the main focal point of attack.

He was an absolute defenders nightmare. Still absolutely tearing it up for Toronto, 19 goals in 23 games at the grand age of 38! Mickey Mouse league aside...

His goalscoring wasn't really meant as a slight. Don't get me wrong, if I was putting my money on someone scoring then he would be down the list. But if I wanted a very good goalscoring that could fit into almost any team, then he'd be the main man.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not denying any of the strikers already mentioned, but PL wise Alan Shearer is still by a mile the best goal scorer we've seen in the modern era.

D

Deleted member 16999

yeah very good shout.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy always comes to mind as a pure goalscorer.

Unfortunately the foreign players tend to spend a short time here and make a big impact, At the end of last season 8 of the top 10 PL all time goal scorers were English, that's more likely to be down to seasons played, not sure how the list looks if it was done goals per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.