And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
a very strong one at that!
IMO Gerrard was a much better player and i'd probably put Keane, Viera and Ballack above Scholes too.

In regards to Everton, no one has been wanting to go there.
I'd be quite concerned as an Everton fan right now!

i don't think the ballack we saw in the prem was close to the guy who performed in Germany. Keane and viera definitely got the crowds going with the performances as did Gerard. As premiership players they all maybe had the better attributes. But I think most of the worlds top footballers all raved about scholes. He was the engine room at Utd for many years and would have easily fit into the brilliant bar a side of a few years back. Not sure the others would have.

re Fergie letting good players leave. I think stam is the only one he regrets. All the others were replaced with future stars. No other manager has had such a long successful career so it's hard to guess how others would have dealt with them. Most other top managers if lucky preside over one era of players and therefor don't need to worry about the repercussions of player sales.

pogba as youngster through his toys out, scholes came in and won the league so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stones gone for £47.5m then, making him the 2nd most expensive defender of all-time. David Luiz and Stones make up almost £100m of central defenders, let that sink in.

D

Deleted member 1740

Just my opinion....

City just signed Stones for £47.5 mill....
Who are Eferton going to spent their money on ?!?!

£50m is a bargain for Stones.

I've just heard they're in negotiations with Johnny Evans to replace Stones.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i don't think the ballack we saw in the prem was close to the guy who performed in Germany. Keane and viera definitely got the crowds going with the performances as did Gerard. As premiership players they all maybe had the better attributes. But I think most of the worlds top footballers all raved about scholes. He was the engine room at Utd for many years and would have easily fit into the brilliant bar a side of a few years back. Not sure the others would have.

Gerrard was a key factor in Liverpool nearly winning the title. I know Suarez and Sturridge were excellent but so was Gerrard so that's not true.
Viera would've fit in easily, he was a better version of Yaya.

Keane was probably the only one that maybe wouldn't as the technical side of the game seems to be ever evolving. However saying that, although known for the physical side of his game he was a fantastic player too.

D

Deleted member 1740

re Fergie letting good players leave. I think stam is the only one he regrets. All the others were replaced with future stars. No other manager has had such a long successful career so it's hard to guess how others would have dealt with them. Most other top managers if lucky preside over one era of players and therefor don't need to worry about the repercussions of player sales.

pogba as youngster through his toys out, scholes came in and won the league so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

It's just cost yernited nearly £100m to buy him back, it's blatantly obvious it was a bad decision.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It's just cost yernited nearly £100m to buy him back, it's blatantly obvious it was a bad decision.

He would maybe never have progressed as a player to the level he is now at United because his attitude stank and he wasn't getting games. So no, it can't be obvious unless you have seen a parallel universe where Pogba stayed.

----

Also, must laugh at someone saying Keane wasn't technically brilliant; he read the game as well as anyone and that's why, despite not being the biggest, strongest or fastest, he's been the best midfielder of his type in the Premier League era.

Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard will always cause arguments and rightly so, they're fantastic. For me Gerrard looks the more star player in highlight reels because he was surrounded by so much dross for large periods of his career. Scholes and Lampard were more consistent for me. I'd say Scholes, then Gerrard and then Lampard. But none of them is a bad player!

Ballack though? Ahahahahaa. Wait, seriously?

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a very strong one at that!
IMO Gerrard was a much better player and i'd probably put Keane, Viera and Ballack above Scholes too.

In regards to Everton, no one has been wanting to go there.
I'd be quite concerned as an Everton fan right now!

Sorry, Scholes was ten times the player Gerrard was. If you asked every prem manager there has ever been who they would want out of the two, it would be Scholes every time. That includes the Liverpool managers ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

He would maybe never have progressed as a player to the level he is now at United because his attitude stank and he wasn't getting games. So no, it can't be obvious unless you have seen a parallel universe where Pogba stayed.

----

Also, must laugh at someone saying Keane wasn't technically brilliant; he read the game as well as anyone and that's why, despite not being the biggest, strongest or fastest, he's been the best midfielder of his type in the Premier League era.

Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard will always cause arguments and rightly so, they're fantastic. For me Gerrard looks the more star player in highlight reels because he was surrounded by so much dross for large periods of his career. Scholes and Lampard were more consistent for me. I'd say Scholes, then Gerrard and then Lampard. But none of them is a bad player!

Pogba was highly rated at the time by everybody at yernited and in Europe, his attitude was a concern but that can be managed.

I did have my hindsight T-shirt on at the time though.

We'll never know if he could've carried a side on his own like Gerrard did. One thing is Scholes was a great player.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pogba was highly rated at the time by everybody at yernited and in Europe, his attitude was a concern but that can be managed.

I did have my hindsight T-shirt on at the time though.

I really can't say I've seen enough of Pogba, only read. Apparently he was a big part of Juventus successes last year.
One thing is for sure, Utd desperately need quality in midfield. Have done for years now. They have paid the price for it... Hope he turns out to be a world beater....

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site

In terms of Keane's technical ability he was no way near as all rounded as Gerrard, Scholes or Viera.

Ballack was class mate.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought Evans was going to Arsenal?

We're in for Lamine Kone, and can see the Williams deal being pushed through now. He's the sort of player we need.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
In terms of Keane's technical ability he was no way near as all rounded as Gerrard, Scholes or Viera.

Ballack was class mate.

He wasn't as rounded as those three but he could do defensive things those three could only dream of.

I always loved the Keane vs Vieira battles - neither would flinch. Except when Vieira wanted a cry and to hug Bergkamp in the tunnel. :D

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As much as like him and do t want him to leave Utd, Blind would be a great defender/midfielder to get.... Rumour has it him, Mata, Schweinsteiger and Rojo all on the way out....

Status
Not open for further replies.