And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
with all due respect, figures are growing. 30m on a player now isn't a big signing, that's a CL squad player fee.

The he reason I see last season as your chance is that you had the better season. You were still better than those others, so it was something to sell yourself as a club on. You could claim to be league contenders as you'd been runners up. Where as next season could be like many before, CL participants.....

£30M is a big signing for a club that adheres the financial fair play laws, even Leicester made up a company to sponsor their stadium last season to allow them to spend more money

That's your opinion and that's fine it's only valuable to you.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
OK, please tell me what we should be doing and which teams are going to go backwards to allow us to walk up the league.
Obviously I'd like to be totally wrong and finish top 4, others would like me to be totally wrong and see us relegated.
Martinez had us at 5th his first season with a points total that would of seen us runners-up last season, he finished 11th the last 2 seasons, not exactly stability or improvement was it.

Maybe the teams that came backwards to allow Leicester to walk up the league👍🏻.

Couldn't Arsenal say the same?

Martinez had you 5th,but you'd take 6th in 3 seasons under Koeman?

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe the teams that came backwards to allow Leicester to walk up the league👍🏻.

Couldn't Arsenal say the same?

Martinez had you 5th,but you'd take 6th in 3 seasons under Koeman?

Yes I'd take 6th in 3 seasons if it's progress, if he does that then I'd hope he be signed on a longer contract and be mixing it top 4 after that, would rather have the long term progression than a new manager every 3-4 years.

Freddie has stated Arsenal had a bad season last season and still managed 2nd surely even you can see progression must be 1st, the chances of all the big 4 having another bad season is virtually impossible.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Yes I'd take 6th in 3 seasons if it's progress, if he does that then I'd hope he be signed on a longer contract and be mixing it top 4 after that, would rather have the long term progression than a new manager every 3-4 years.

Freddie has stated Arsenal had a bad season last season and still managed 2nd surely even you can see progression must be 1st, the chances of all the big 4 having another bad season is virtually impossible.

For me progression would be a sustained challenge whether we finish first or not

D

Deleted member 16999

For me progression would be a sustained challenge whether we finish first or not
I genuinely don't understand that, surely you want to see the return of winning titles not just challenging for them?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
£30M is a big signing for a club that adheres the financial fair play laws, even Leicester made up a company to sponsor their stadium last season to allow them to spend more money

That's your opinion and that's fine it's only valuable to you.
with the new tv deal, 30m on one player is a fee that every premier league club can afford. If your team is scared of paying that much out a couple of times then it won't be long til you are caught. No point to the new stadium if the benefits aren't reaped.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I genuinely don't understand that, surely you want to see the return of winning titles not just challenging for them?

Only one team can win the league, and in the end it can come down to a bad referee or an injury at the wrong time, progress from where Arsenal are at the moment would be a sustained fight for the title, obviously I want to win.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winning the right way is very important. I would absolutely hate it if a new man replaced Wenger and then used Kroenke's billions, started buying Pogba's for £100M and Messi's for £200M. I like it the way it is, spend the money we have from our football generated activities and see how far that gets us. If we win then great , it will be worth something. Buying the league would not make me happy.

There is a big difference between the Arsenal way and the Chelsea way (and City way) thank you very much.

Sorry if that sounds perverse but that's how I see it.

It's all relative to % income when you generate nearly twice as much you can spend twice as much, ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Is that the same Martial that couldn't get a game at the Euro's? Behind in the pecking order Benzema, Giroud and Cignac ?

Not saying Martial won't come good but he has a bit to prove to justify his hefty price tag.

Maybe with France struggling to score when it mattered ( no surprise with Giroud upfront ) they should have got him on the pitch

The "hefty price tag" is what these sort of players go for these days - you either take the risk or you try with players like Akpom - what sort of players do you think the top teams are taking a risk on - the £30 mil teenager or the guy who was on loan at Hull ? Arsenal prefer the teenager on loan whilst the £30mil player goes to a Chelsea or City or Utd and proves his worth

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Arsenal last 4 seasons

Yet you'd be happy with your team going from 11th to 10th 😂😂😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Maybe with France struggling to score when it mattered ( no surprise with Giroud upfront ) they should have got him on the pitch

The "hefty price tag" is what these sort of players go for these days - you either take the risk or you try with players like Akpom - what sort of players do you think the top teams are taking a risk on - the £30 mil teenager or the guy who was on loan at Hull ? Arsenal prefer the teenager on loan whilst the £30mil player goes to a Chelsea or City or Utd and proves his worth

And Liverpool sign Mane,Manninger & some 30yr old Pole.
You optimistic about the new season Phil?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, qualifying isn't an achievement, actually winning it is an achievement.

We may not have been in it for 18 continuous years, but we've won it (when we probably shouldn't :D ), lost a final (that we probably should have won :angry: ) and won a Europa League :thup:. As opposed to being in it 18 continuous years :rolleyes: and losing one final.

I can tell you which I prefer. ;)

Didnt know you were a Liverpool fan also.........or same record as us.

Was Blakey on the bus last time arsenal paraded a euro trophy?

D

Deleted member 16999

Arsenal last 4 seasons

Yet you'd be happy with your team going from 11th to 10th 😂😂😂
Obviously you don't wish to be involved in serious debate or can't be bothered to read answers when you ask questions, have you ever wondered why 99% of your posts go unanswered.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Obviously you don't wish to be involved in serious debate or can't be bothered to read answers when you ask questions, have you ever wondered why 99% of your posts go unanswered.
Yet again Paul your post makes no sense 🙄

Life must be a real struggle

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fwiw, I understand sawtooth(Sean's), view on the way he wants arsenal to win, and not just a billionaire blowing everyone else out the water. If one gave arsenal 800mill to spend in 2 years on the likes of messi, Ronald's etc they would win the league. Same for me, again, unless 10 others have them, then I'd want one. Slightly hypocritical, but I prefer the old school chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.