And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst it's hard to trust what footballers say - many times Coutinho has said a lot of positive things about staying at the club, again whilst it's just words and the actions will show more I actually believe Coutinho has no intentions to leave and that's why he has no problems signing a new contract - he has made a lot of noise about being loyal to the club because of what they have done for his career - rare I know in football but he is certainly one person to be taken at face value so don't see any "con" going on.

Maybe the best way is to just each player on their own separate merits as opposed to blanket judging them

I bet you still believe in Father Christmas!

These guys are professional footballers not fans. Coutinho has undoubtedly benefited from his time at Liverpool and I'm sure he is appreciative of the effects upon his career.

However, if for example Real Madrid came sniffing around with an offer of 50% more money I doubt that he would feel himself committed until 2022.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
100% agree.

It is pathetic the way all clubs parade these players and their new contracts and the media suck it all up. I have just heard on the radio that Coutinho has committed to Liverpool until 2022. Yeah! Of course he has.

Certainly do not blame any club for protecting themselves but, at least, stop trying to con the fans. And I repeat this is not a dig at Liverpool, any number of clubs have been guilty.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on as it can work both ways.

However whilst I don't believe he will be there until 2022 it does show a commitment by Liverpool to keep hold of their best players and show other players their intent to build.

Put it this way could Liverpool really afford to let him go that really could of had a negative effect on attracting bigger players.

200k a week though for their best player I would question the quality they can get in looking at what other big clubs are spending on big stars.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

However whilst I don't believe he will be there until 2022 it does show a commitment by Liverpool to keep hold of their best players and show other players their intent to build.

Put it this way could Liverpool really afford to let him go that really could of had a negative effect on attracting bigger players.

200k a week though for their best player I would question the quality they can get in looking at what other big clubs are spending on big stars.

BBC Sport are reporting £150k and that makes him the top earner at Liverpool...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38741844

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends on wether they will spend the cash on 2 players[what was the fee].
I believe he has 9 of the 16 scored however 46 against paints a bigger picture,Snodgrass would not save Hull on his own.

Time will tell of course.

About £10m I believe. What will that buy them? You need goals to stay up. Yes, you need to stop them but without a goalscorer you are far more likely to go down. He scored goals, he made assists. In their position can they afford to lose him? I'm not saying he was world class or even top class but he may be the one player that kept them up and they have just sold him for less than Crystal Palace bid for Sunderlands left back.

D

Deleted member 15344

I bet you still believe in Father Christmas!

These guys are professional footballers not fans. Coutinho has undoubtedly benefited from his time at Liverpool and I'm sure he is appreciative of the effects upon his career.

However, if for example Real Madrid came sniffing around with an offer of 50% more money I doubt that he would feel himself committed until 2022.

Actually i just think that some footballers you judge them seperately as opposed to being lazy and lumping them all in together. It can happen that some of these players become fans as well as players - Coutinho has been nothing but complimentary about the club - signed numerous contracts to to reaffirm him wanting to stay and hasn't once entertained any overtures to leave been the model player and along with his friends at the club has enjoyed himself along with his family.

Coutinho might not be at the Club until 2022 he could leave before but then again he could stay longer - but right now I believe he sees himself staying at the club for as long as possible. I know loyalty is prob non existent for you but I still think there as the odd decent player around

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
About £10m I believe. What will that buy them? You need goals to stay up. Yes, you need to stop them but without a goalscorer you are far more likely to go down. He scored goals, he made assists. In their position can they afford to lose him? I'm not saying he was world class or even top class but he may be the one player that kept them up and they have just sold him for less than Crystal Palace bid for Sunderlands left back.

I agree with what your saying but only time will tell and who knows what the clubs plans are.
I suppose proper Hull fans would have liked to see a few quality additions and a fight to stay in the PL but without knowing what the clubs plans are its difficult.

Maybe they are struggling financially and are finding the PL to big for them.
I'm speculating of course.

D

Deleted member 18588

Actually i just think that some footballers you judge them seperately as opposed to being lazy and lumping them all in together. It can happen that some of these players become fans as well as players - Coutinho has been nothing but complimentary about the club - signed numerous contracts to to reaffirm him wanting to stay and hasn't once entertained any overtures to leave been the model player and along with his friends at the club has enjoyed himself along with his family.

Coutinho might not be at the Club until 2022 he could leave before but then again he could stay longer - but right now I believe he sees himself staying at the club for as long as possible. I know loyalty is prob non existent for you but I still think there as the odd decent player around

Of course you do !

He plays for your club so you want to believe it. I just think we have seen far too many instances of both players and clubs ignoring the length of contract once it suits them.

It has absolutely nothing whatsoever with a player being "decent" since as I have said before they and their advisers will base their decisions on what is right for the player's career not the club and certainly not the fans.

The professional game is a job, nothing more and nothing less and all of us make our calls from personal perspectives not from the employer (club) or customer (fans).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with what your saying but only time will tell and who knows what the clubs plans are.
I suppose proper Hull fans would have liked to see a few quality additions and a fight to stay in the PL but without knowing what the clubs plans are its difficult.

Maybe they are struggling financially and are finding the PL to big for them.
I'm speculating of course.

I think you are right and maybe they are just planning for the Championship next year. After all Bruce left pre-season because he could see what was happening and didn't want to get tarnished by it. Phelan should have been smarter and declined the job. I just feel for Hull fans as you want to see everyone fighting to stay up and selling your best player sends out all the wrong signals.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't say they were rubbish, just not as good as they were made out to be. My point is that they were made to look better than they actually are by the players around them. Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Ferdinand, Terry, A. Cole, Rooney have all been feted as world class but all seven played in the same team and did nothing at international level.

De Bruyne is only 25 and is now starting to show what he is capable of. Torres and Morientes performed for Spain at the highest level, Veron likewise for Argentina. Lukaku is still to prove himself.

You said that playing with other great players, even you would look good. No doubt playing with good players normally elevates the team and the player, but not to 5 times the players abilities.

Gerrard played with great players and rubbish players, he still stood out.

Torres played with overall better players at Chelsea, but he was a worse player than what he was at Liverpool. Morientes was great for Real and Spain, but not so great for us.

Lukaku has proved himself as a great player.

England have has worls class players, just because they haven't won the big trophies doesn't mean some of the players haven't been world class. They haven't had a world class manager though.

Other things such as tactics, team shape, role, also have a part to play.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I found this interesting and if true and possible, Levy is a very astute businessman, further to that, I heard their was a shortage of crains to hire so he's bought 6, he's already had offers for those crains yielding a £3m profit on their original purchase price!

Report.

At the beginning of this season, I was given a story that seemed so implausible at the time, that had it not been from such an impeccable source I would have dismissed it as nonsense. The story was that Spurs have a secret plan to go into the new stadium next season, yes the 2017/18 season.

I was told, that by the beginning of the season, the project was already 3 months ahead of schedule and that the builders were on massive bonuses to finish the project so that the club could play there the following season.

At the time I kept thinking that it would be impossible to demolish the old stadium and build the remaining third in three months, but every time I have returned to the stadium and seen how advanced the work is, it has played on my mind. Why was it so important that the builders cut the corner out of the North Stand when they would still have 14 months to build the final third of the stadium? Why have the club not signed the contract for next season with Wembley? And why, have the marketing team not begun selling Wembley hospitality packages for next season* to existing executive members, when they have already sold them their seats in the new stadium? *Last season contracts went out in November.

Over the Christmas period, I read up on the construction plans and was intrigued to read that the single tier 17,000 all-seated South Stand will not be a concrete construction as is the rest of the stadium, but a steel construction with a concrete finish. This suggests that it would not only be erected quicker than the rest of the stadium, but could be built independently after the rest of the stadium was built.

Just last week I was talking to a member of Spurs staff and was surprised to hear that they had not been given any information on their roles for next season at Wembley, however, the insider told me that whenever the 2017/18 season is mentioned, the hierarchy always use the term, “If we go to Wembley”, not “When we go”.

As I understand it, should this mild winter continue and the building work continues at its current pace, Tottenham will apply to the Premier League for their opening group of fixures to be played away from home, very much in the same way that Liverpool have this season whilst their new main stand was being constructed and West Ham will next season with the World Athletics taking place at the London Stadium. This will give them enough time to bulldoze the Paxton Road North Stand after the final game of this season and lay the pitch in the new stadium. Tottenham will then play in a horseshoe like stadium whilst the 17,000 all-seater terrace is constructed and other finishes applied to the rest of the stadium. Considering safety aspects the capacity should be around 40,000, some 8,000 more than the current capacity and saving the club around £15 million in costs of playing at Wembley.

Good piece.

When did they start the construction, only a year or so ago? Amazing if they get it all built within 2 years, although as we know its the fitting out that takes the time, but you can always have burger vans within the perimeter whilst the food stalls are built.

It wouldn't surprise me with Levy, very astute.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Whilst it's hard to trust what footballers say - many times Coutinho has said a lot of positive things about staying at the club, again whilst it's just words and the actions will show more I actually believe Coutinho has no intentions to leave and that's why he has no problems signing a new contract - he has made a lot of noise about being loyal to the club because of what they have done for his career - rare I know in football but he is certainly one person to be taken at face value so don't see any "con" going on.

Maybe the best way is to just each player on their own separate merits as opposed to blanket judging them

You really are something else, how is it I can mark this post incase it's needed at a future date.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just buy Colchester Fc off golf monthly forum, then put a few decent players round him.

joking!:D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Bang on.

Mickie isn't wrong, but if he signs a new long term contract.

A. The player gets a big pay rise.

B. The club has a better negotiating stance, if Barca and Real come in.

C. If no release clause, it also strengthens their stance.

D. For the time being, we keep a great player.

TBH If he stayed this and next season and we won nothing, i could blame him if he looked elsewhere. it would just be how he "manages" the exit, that makes a big difference.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hull's whole season has been a joke from starting with not enough players not trying to strength not shirts in club shop there is an endless amount of faults and selling Snodgrass just about top the lot. There only creative player and majority of goals, they have just surrendered but knowing parachute money is on the way ala Blackpool!

D

Deleted member 18588

Bang on.

TBH If he stayed this and next season and we won nothing, i could blame him if he looked elsewhere. it would just be how he "manages" the exit, that makes a big difference.

A, B, C, & D. I agree with you LB.

In no way was my post critical of Liverpool other than the marketing hype and, as I said, many other clubs are equally if not more guilty.

As you say the club have been very clever in their negotiating and have undoubtedly strengthened their hand. However, I still do not think Coutinho sees himself as committed until 2022 and, for that matter, neither do I think the club believe he is.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A, B, C, & D. I agree with you LB.

In no way was my post critical of Liverpool other than the marketing hype and, as I said, many other clubs are equally if not more guilty.

As you say the club have been very clever in their negotiating and have undoubtedly strengthened their hand. However, I still do not think Coutinho sees himself as committed until 2022 and, for that matter, neither do I think the club believe he is.

Yep, if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it either.:thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Bang on.

Great post, Coutinho is superb imo and would improve any and I mean improve any Football Club, makes absolute sense to tie him down, slight issue is that the new contract doesn't come into effect until 01 Jul, so a big offer could come in prior to that.

I would add to your post that it sends out the right message for the Club and its fans.

D

Deleted member 16999

Forum Gold, you went on another thread saying we shouldn't of been allowed a vote on Brexit as we don't understand the issues and now you reply to another post saying it's lazy lumping people together :blah::blah::rofl:

Can someone please repost this as PlaygroundPhil has me on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.