And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
So why hasn't it happened - teams aren't taking points of the leaders yet they are taking them off all the other teams. If it was 4/5 points then there is a chance but it's 8 and only 16 games left - that is a very big gap and as already said no team since Abramovich arrived in 04 has thrown away such a big lead at this time of the year - all the teams have gone on to win the title

Perhaps it will be 5 points after the next round of matches who knows . Liverpool COULD (note emphasis on could) beat Chelsea and Arsenal COULD beat Watford.

Not impossible and the bookies would give you pretty short odds for that particular double.

And it's not a quantum leap for Arsenal to beat Chelsea in a one off game ( we already beat them 3 nil this season) and then the gap is only 2.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Ok let me help you out a little to try and understand the need for timelines in the sport

In 1991 there was a very big change in the Sport - the Prem was started and money started to come into the game - that started the dominance of Man Utd with Arsenal popping up every now and then with a win but from the years of 1991 to 2004/5 there was only really a two horse race in regards the title - there was no real "big 4/5/6" also looking to secure CL spots

Then in 2004 the picture changed again - Abramovich arrived and this first real Top 4 appeared - , then when City arrived and with Spurs appearing again it became a Top 6

So the reason why I use a decade as a timeline is because it gives a more recent picture of how things are within the Prem

Did someone 20 years lose an 8 point lead - yes they did but for me it not a fair comparison but the league has massively changed since 20 years.

So for me because in the last decade teams don't throw away 8 point league with only 16 games left in the season - teams are too strong for that now. It just doesn't happen with the way the league is now. If someone wants to hold out hope by using an example 20 years ago then away they go - the chances are more than likely they will be disappointed "again"

As for Klopp and LVG - the response is and ?

Liverpool fans are happy with Klopp and the style of play and what he is trying to achieve at the club and Man Utd weren't happy with LVG and his style of play. But then you won't be able to see that using a stat

I think also using the precious decade I am sure Arsenal were 6 points ahead in February in 2008 and Liverpool were 3 or 4 ahead with a couple to go.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Perhaps it will be 5 points after the next round of matches who knows . Liverpool COULD (note emphasis on could) beat Chelsea and Arsenal COULD beat Watford.

Not impossible and the bookies would give you pretty short odds for that particular double.

And it's not a quantum leap for Arsenal to beat Chelsea in a one off game ( we already beat them 3 nil this season) and then the gap is only 2.

This speaks volumes to me as it should read, Liverpool COULD beat Chelsea (especially at home) and Arsenal SHOULD beat Watford! (anywhere).

Your lack of confidence to not beat teams below you if you believe you are indeed title contenders displays the lack of ambition Arsenal and their fans have and to settle for a top 4 spot, again.

#GroundhogDay

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
This speaks volumes to me as it should read, Liverpool COULD beat Chelsea (especially at home) and Arsenal SHOULD beat Watford! (anywhere).

Your lack of confidence to not beat teams below you if you believe you are indeed title contenders displays the lack of ambition Arsenal and their fans have and to settle for a top 4 spot, again.

#GroundhogDay

Actually if I would have typed SHOULD what would happen if Arsenal lose to Watford? No thanks. Every game a final as Watford battling for points. I thought you would have remembered that bottom club Swansea just beat title challengers Liverpool at their own ground.

How can I be lacking confidence when I've said a number of times that Arsenal can still win this league?

Others have given up on their team but I'm a glass half full person and still everything to play for.

Any one from 6 can still win it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Football doesn't work in hope - it works in reality - and the reality is Chelsea should win the league with a couple games left to spare , they have the lead , the strongest 11 with prob the best striker in the Prem and the strongest back line.

Arsenal , Liverpool , City , Spurs are fighting for 3 CL spots right now - that is being realistic.

Oy, don't forget United :thup:.

Ok let me help you out a little to try and understand the need for timelines in the sport

In 1991 there was a very big change in the Sport - the Prem was started and money started to come into the game - that started the dominance of Man Utd with Arsenal popping up every now and then with a win but from the years of 1991 to 2004/5 there was only really a two horse race in regards the title - there was no real "big 4/5/6" also looking to secure CL spots

If stats are so important then it would be vital to get them correct.
As far as I am aware the Premier League did NOT start in 1991, it was actually founded on 20th February 1992 ................. just saying.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Oy, don't forget United :thup:.

If stats are so important then it would be vital to get them correct.
As far as I am aware the Premier League did NOT start in 1991, it was actually founded on 20th February 1992 ................. just saying.

With the first match being in August 1992, yernited were the first to win the PL title and there's some good stats from the opening matches, like, Teddy Sheringham scored the first televised and winning goal for Forest against Liverpool :smirk: Mark Robbins scored 2 goals to allow Norwich a 4-2 win against Arsenal at Highbury :smirk: Cantona scored the first PL hat trick when Leeds thrashed Spurs 5-nil :smirk:

Here's a passage from that first PL end of season report: The early pacesetters were Norwich, who won 10 of their first 16 matches, with Arsenal, Blackburn and Aston Villa close behind. While Arsenal fell away...! I see some things haven't changed that much :smirk:

Utd finished 10 points clear of Villa with Norwich, Blackburn & QPR making up the other top places :eek:

Oh how times have changed, well for some :smirk:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Liverpool fans are happy with Klopp and the style of play and what he is trying to achieve at the club and Man Utd weren't happy with LVG and his style of play. But then you won't be able to see that using a stat

So you can be happy with a manager that currently has you sat 4th in the table & 10pts off the top,But you can't accept that some Arsenal fans are happy with Wenger?

Are you hoping that banging on about it will make them change their minds?

It's an opinion Phil,everybody's doesn't have to have the same as yours 👍🏻👍🏻

Pin-seeker

Visit site
They have no money, not sure how in the era of Sky money, and so that's the table they are feeding at. You have to be pretty bad this year to end up lower than Sunderland.

They'd have been better of making no signing.
How interested do you think he will be in a relegation scrap.

D

Deleted member 16999

They'd have been better of making no signing.
How interested do you think he will be in a relegation scrap.
Probably the opposite, if he does well and they stay up he gets a last chance of PL football. Tbh he's better than most of what they've got!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Probably the opposite, if he does well and they stay up he gets a last chance of PL football. Tbh he's better than most of what they've got!

Or he couldn't believe his luck for one last pay day.
Looks like he's been spending his spare time at Greggs.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not based on the evidence of last season. Stole a living at Villa, and if he couldn't get motivated to perform for the club he (supposedly) supported what do you think he will give Sunderland.

He was/is a classic example of a player who looks better the better the other players around him.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not based on the evidence of last season. Stole a living at Villa, and if he couldn't get motivated to perform for the club he (supposedly) supported what do you think he will give Sunderland.

He was/is a classic example of a player who looks better the better the other players around him.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.