And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept that the opposition were better and that was the case for the first 45 mins last night. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, Bournemouth were great IMO.

What would it take for you/Wenger supporters to say enough is enough and it's time for him to go?
Miss out on top 4?
Miss out on Europa?
Relegation?

Serious question

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would it take for you/Wenger supporters to say enough is enough and it's time for him to go?
Miss out on top 4?
Miss out on Europa?
Relegation?

Serious question

Miss out on top 4 for a couple of years in a row will probably do it. However, Wenger would probably resign if he failed to make top 4 once. He set that particular benchmark himself but people forget how difficult it is to achieve.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Miss out on top 4 for a couple of years in a row will probably do it. However, Wenger would probably resign if he failed to make top 4 once. He set that particular benchmark himself but people forget how difficult it is to achieve.

It's very difficult to achieve but why can't Wenger get Arsenal to kick on and win a major trophy?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept that the opposition were better and that was the case for the first 45 mins last night. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, Bournemouth were great IMO.

1st goal, right back goes missing
2nd goal midfielder is an idiot
3rd goal right back vanishes further into the hole he dug himself.

Whilst bournemouth played with high tempo all three goals were due to defensive inadequacies, not great play imo.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's very difficult to achieve but why can't Wenger get Arsenal to kick on and win a major trophy?

Well I think part of it is that we can't get first pick of the players we want to bring in. Not that many top drawer players available to begin with and when they do become available we don't the pay as much as the competition.

And we have more of a fight to keep the talent we have. We are not alone in that, Spurs, Liverpool , etc experience the same.

I would like to think we are getting better at spending money but still not in the same league as some.

Waiting for someone to mention Leicester any minute.👍

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
1st goal, right back goes missing
2nd goal midfielder is an idiot
3rd goal right back vanishes further into the hole he dug himself.

Whilst bournemouth played with high tempo all three goals were due to defensive inadequacies, not great play imo.

Yes but you could also argue that Bournemouths good play, pressing and high tempo caused Arsenal to become disorganised , harried and pulled out of place. It depends on how you look at it.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I think part of it is that we can't get first pick of the players we want to bring in. Not that many top drawer players available to begin with and when they do become available we don't the pay as much as the competition.

And we have more of a fight to keep the talent we have. We are not alone in that, Spurs, Liverpool , etc experience the same.

I would like to think we are getting better at spending money but still not in the same league as some.

Waiting for someone to mention Leicester any minute.👍

The thing is you mention Leicester yourself so you know the money excuse doesn't tell the whole story. Good coaching, a well balanced side and team work rate works wonders.

Your owners are billionaires so money must be available. Wenger has done magnificent for you but that was a long time ago and he can't really cut it at the very top when it comes to winning major trophies anymore.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing is you mention Leicester yourself so you know the money excuse doesn't tell the whole story. Good coaching, a well balanced side and team work rate works wonders.

Your owners are billionaires so money must be available. Wenger has done magnificent for you but that was a long time ago and he can't really cut it at the very top when it comes to winning major trophies anymore.

Leicester was a freak thing, it will be another 100 years before anything like that happens again.

Money is a lot of it, invariably the club with the best players wins the day. But management, coaching, work rate, motivation, training, tactics, formation, diet all play a part and dare I say it - luck also.

I am sure Wenger would do certain things differently given his time again but nobody is perfect I guess.

Maybe we need Pep? :smirk:

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Arsenal do not have owners they are still a traded commodity on the AIM we have majority shareholders there is a massive massive difference. Usmanov or Kronke are not going to give money to something they only part own without something back in return.

And re Leicester you can not use the only exception to prove a rule.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can only spend so much money - after that other factors come into play, as Leicester (and Chelsea) showed last year.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leicester was a freak thing, it will be another 100 years before anything like that happens again.

Money is a lot of it, invariably the club with the best players wins the day. But management, coaching, work rate, motivation, training, tactics, formation, diet all play a part and dare I say it - luck also.

I am sure Wenger would do certain things differently given his time again but nobody is perfect I guess.

Maybe we need Pep? :smirk:

I know that was a tongue in cheek remark but you probably do need Pep. Or a manager of that calibre. Wenger used to be at that level but hasn't been for a number of years.

I heard on the radio to that if Bayern beat you in the Champions League that will be 7 years straight you've been knocked out at the first KO stage. Is that true?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that was a tongue in cheek remark but you probably do need Pep. Or a manager of that calibre. Wenger used to be at that level but hasn't been for a number of years.

I heard on the radio to that if Bayern beat you in the Champions League that will be 7 years straight you've been knocked out at the first KO stage. Is that true?

Yes sounds about right.

If Wenger was at charge at Barca and Bayern instead of Pep I bet he would have enjoyed exactly the same success.

I honestly don't see Pep as an upgrade unless he brought with him £500M to spend

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes sounds about right.

If Wenger was at charge at Barca and Bayern instead of Pep I bet he would have enjoyed exactly the same success.

I honestly don't see Pep as an upgrade unless he brought with him £500M to spend

He could be Wenger 2.0

His sides can play nice football
technically superior than opposition
They like to walk it in the net
However they actually win things

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
As much as I would love Chelsea to extend their winning run I've stuck a tenner on Kane to score and Spurs to win in 90 mins , miserly 4/1

Anyone else had a small flutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.