And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

Te biggest thing for me during the game was that Liverpool had the one real moment of class.

The rest was was pretty poor from both. It was good for Liverpool to keep a clean sheet, but I'd be interested to see the passing stats in the attacking third. It seemed to me that on every occasion either team was about to have a decent chance, the final pass was lacking.

Whether thats good defending im not so sure. But as has been mentioned on many times before. And the end of the season, the name goes on the trophy, nit the level of performance in each game. All champions win ugly at some point.

Spot on, let's not get carried away with some how making out it was a tactical plan, 1-0 for either team would've been a great result, but neither set of fans would be happy (if they were honest) if they played that way for the rest of the season.
3 points off main rivals is massive.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Spot on, let's not get carried away with some how making out it was a tactical plan, 1-0 for either team would've been a great result, but neither set of fans would be happy (if they were honest) if they played that way for the rest of the season.

Exactly!
but we all do it. A few weeks ago when we played you last I was ready to say haha to koeman, just about held my time hue and it's lucky I did as we've been a shambles since!

wanna trade him back for Puel in the summer?

D

Deleted member 18588

Where as we still created a good number chances that on another day could have had the score up to 3

What?

Only one effort on target in 90 mins and only five attempts in total. A solid display defensively but aside from a terrific counter-attack goal with a great finish neither side looked threatening.

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly!
but we all do it. A few weeks ago when we played you last I was ready to say haha to koeman, just about held my time hue and it's lucky I did as we've been a shambles since!

No thanks mate, he doesn't look happy though, I think it's a bigger re-build job than some realised.

D

Deleted member 15344

What?

Only one effort on target in 90 mins and only five attempts in total. A solid display defensively but aside from a terrific counter-attack goal with a great finish neither side looked threatening.

Well you had Firmino through from a great ball from Milner - poor touch

Then you had Lallana and Firmino through with a poor timed ball

Then Mane , Firmino and Origi through but the ball was just a touch heavy

Origi then created himself a great chance but delayed too long

So as I said - on another day with the same level of execution that we have shown over the last couple weeks it could have been more but alas it didnt matter - it was three points in the bag and we keep moving on and I'll take those three points every week :whoo:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Exactly!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No thanks mate, he doesn't look happy though, I think it's a bigger re-build job than some realised.

Its ok thiugh as you've got a billionaire owner.....

50m for Virgil latest newspaper talk. With greatest respect I think he'll be at a bugger club than both ours next summer.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well you had Firmino through from a great ball from Milner - poor touch

Then you had Lallana and Firmino through with a poor timed ball

Then Mane , Firmino and Origi through but the ball was just a touch heavy

Origi then created himself a great chance but delayed too long

So as I said - on another day with the same level of execution that we have shown over the last couple weeks it could have been more but alas it didnt matter - it was three points in the bag and we keep moving on and I'll take those three points every week :whoo:

So that's one actual chance and a goal. Just as all have said.

The fact that your players mistimed passes and made poor choices doesn't mean it was anywhere close to being your 2nd or third goal.

If you'd missed a sitter, hit woodwork or keeper pulled of worldies then maybe you could claim you could have more.

You got the the three points which is great, but if you're gonna say you could have scored more if you'd attacked like previous weeks then it's just as likely you could have conceded more if you'd defended like previous weeks too.....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is interesting that after a match involving 2nd and 3rd in the Premiership that there are moans of "only 1 goal". It just goes to show how and where Klopp and Pepe have taken their teams as regards goals scored.
It has been one of the best first halves of the Premiership I have seen, as regards number of goals scored.

D

Deleted member 16999

It is interesting that after a match involving 2nd and 3rd in the Premiership that there are moans of "only 1 goal". It just goes to show how and where Klopp and Pepe have taken their teams as regards goals scored.
It has been one of the best first halves of the Premiership I have seen, as regards number of goals scored.
TBH everybody has agreed it was a great 3 points for LPool, nobody on here has mentioned "only 1 goal" the negative comments have all been about the lack of quality from both sides, even as a blue I can admit your attacking play has been good to watch and yesterday both teams made more mistakes in that game than they've probably made all season, unfortunately games between the teams at the top can sometimes be a damp squib as so much is riding on it and all the record books will show is the result.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Both teams would have took 1-0 before the game and I as a Utd supporter would take 1-0 against the teams above us right now playing ugly.
At the end of the season its all about positions not performances.
Liverpool never looked like losing the game so perhaps tactics were spot on.
Yes the quality was not as good as the previous game against Stoke but on many occasions this year they have been hence their position.

D

Deleted member 16999

Both teams would have took 1-0 before the game and I as a Utd supporter would take 1-0 against the teams above us right now playing ugly.
Yes the quality was not as good as the previous game against Stoke but on many occasions this year they have been hence their position.
Agreed Tony, except for the tactics bit, that's only their 2nd 1-0 win in 2016, the mistakes/mis-controls from both sides was something we've not seen from them this season and no manager in the world can call that tactical.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

When even souness admits the result wasn't a tactical result I think it's fair to say that all agree the result is all that matters.

But the performce wasn't IMO a masterclass, it was a poor game (quality wise) but important for pool in their quest for second.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed Tony, except for the tactics bit, that's only their 2nd 1-0 win in 2016, the mistakes/mis-controls from both sides was something we've not seen from them this season and no manager in the world can call that tactical.

Sometimes you have to look deeper to see something,one thing that was picked up by Hoddle was how Milner was pushed right up on Sterling so Sterling could not run at him as he is much faster and it really took Sterling out of the game,and as Milner is also good going the other way and Sterling cant defend it worked.

Keeping City quiet and reducing them to scraps tells me tactics all over the park were working.
Liverpool press high and have done all season and even very good players are less effective in small spaces.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sometimes you have to look deeper to see something,one thing that was picked up by Hoddle was how Milner was pushed right up on Sterling so Sterling could not run at him as he is much faster and it really took Sterling out of the game,and as Milner is also good going the other way and Sterling cant defend it worked.

Keeping City quiet and reducing them to scraps tells me tactics all over the park were working.
Liverpool press high and have done all season and even very good players are less effective in small spaces.

No doubt both teams had a game plan and somethings worked really well, it was the level of bad passes and mis controls by both teams surprised me, we all agree the only stat that counts is the score line, but to see LPool create such few chances and as Mickie put only one on target in 90 minutes at home was surprising imo, like you I had LPool favourites before the game and that was based on how good they've been so far.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Looking like one of chelseas few challengers....go on offer me a brave bet.... .

Looking at clubs with momentum, strength in depth and more convincing than others in current false positions. I think it will be a London 1 & 2 and Arsenal not in the top 4 😜😎

Status
Not open for further replies.