And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right.
I don't understand something......

If what Big Sam did a few months ago that cost him his job as England Manager was so bad, how come what he did back then is overlooked and it let's him back into the Premier League so soon..?

Or does everyone in Football have the memory of a dead goldfish...?

There was talk of a complete ban from football for him, I guess that's not going to happen now after all.

Sam is a thoroughly good manager, limited , but good at what he does.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no idea how not. When he was done for betting up here during his short stay in Glasgow, all his bets were placed via an account in his own name so no attempt to hide it from him.
Perhaps he was thought to be too nice to do anything wrong and wasn't investigated.:whistle:;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1200 bets in 10 years......When you're not allowed to bet at all....
I know footballers are supposed to be thick but this takes the trophy....

1260 to be exact http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ey-barton-charged-with-betting-offences-by-fa and it seems weird that if the authorities had a sniff of him doing it, and surely with him there must be some pointers. A very lost soul who could have been a top class player but with all his issues he's largely frittered his career away

D

Deleted member 15344

Right.

If what Big Sam did a few months ago that cost him his job as England Manager was so bad, how come what he did back then is overlooked and it let's him back into the Premier League so soon..?

Because morals left football a long time ago and all that matters to Palace is staying in the cash cow that is the Prem - that overrides anything. Fat Sam shouldn't be near another job yet gets employed within months

Palace won't care about any previous indiscretions as long as he keeps them in the Prem

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Right.

Not 100% sure but I don't think he actually broke any rules other than making his role untenable. Palace obviously don't have any issue with is baggage. Whether he'll do a good job remains to be seen, especially with the squad he has. Are they strong enough

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
These two stories are both quite depressing for football. Plenty of good stories, players going into hospitals at this time of year, little Bradley at Sunderland being treated like a king by everyone in football but it can still go into the gutter without blinking. The press who caught Sam will be praising his appointment tomorrow. Sad.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
These two stories are both quite depressing for football. Plenty of good stories, players going into hospitals at this time of year, little Bradley at Sunderland being treated like a king by everyone in football but it can still go into the gutter without blinking. The press who caught Sam will be praising his appointment tomorrow. Sad.

To be fair these feel good stories have been all over local media (for respective clubs) and Bradley has been all over TV and the press in the last few weeks so there is still some good news to be had. Sadly though bad news, gossip and idiots like Barton make stories and these sell. It has always been the same. I can only go back as far as the 70's when Revie went to UAE, Clough and Leeds etc but these stories ran and ran because controversy sells

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer, absolutely. There are plenty of positives regarding football but somehow it shoots itself in the foot every now and again. Every club has its community side, the visits to children's wards lift spirits for all those there. I think for tonight I'll remember the good things and not Sam and Joey.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even someone who's served time in prison is entitled to gain employment after, Sam only blabbed too much, and he was always going to get a job offer sooner or later. If we get a mid table position at the end of the season I'll be as happy as BIM when Chelsea win the PL.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Come on, do you not feel just a little dirty and down that Sam is now your manager? Are you looking forward to Sam's style?

I think it's fair to say his style may not be too exciting. But why dirty?

the FA had to sack him I agree about that. But players do far worse and fans still idolise them.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Making none of it clean. He left in disgrace, very recently and now is being welcomed with open arms. I'm pleased it's not at my club.

I personally didn't him when he was linked to us a few years ago after pochetinho.

But if saints were 17th at January I'd take him with open arms.

Id rather watch us in the Prem than not. Which I think is the reason palace have gone for him. I also don think he is a disgrace, but that's a whole different story.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Making none of it clean. He left in disgrace, very recently and now is being welcomed with open arms. I'm pleased it's not at my club.

He left in disgrace rather than being a disgrace. I put him in the grubby region but he is not in that room on his own.

Until people like him and Malky Mac in Scotland are banned sine die from the game the game will always have a seedy side. If my CV showed shady dealings and rabid racism I wouldn't get a job sweeping the streets let alone a £6mill a year job.

Status
Not open for further replies.