And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

More like " you want us to " :whistle:

We're a much fitter side than we were this time last season and we've got less games anda greater recovery period after games.

We do lack quality in depth but I haven't seen any games this season were our fitness levels have caused us to drop points.

On a side note I hope all of those everton wives are OK this morning :D

Day gets worse mate, at a Hospital appt in Newcastle, comes out the toilet, some bloke is coming in and like a gentleman I held the door and let him go first, looks at him.......Rafa Benitez! Newcastle players and Staff visiting the kids!

D

Deleted member 16999

Can't believe no-ones picked you up on this, Ericsson to everton? 😂😂

Why would spurs give you their best player?

Why would he move from cl club to mid table obscurity?

Funny you blues
Why not, you've managed to sign a few players as a mid-table team over the last few seasons :whoo:

D

Deleted member 16999

Was thinking about the match last night and regardless off the performances of both teams, the result was disastrous and brilliant depending on who you support, so, forgetting all the great games you've seen, what was the worst from a results point of view.
I have 2, being there when LPool beat us 5-0 at Goodison and Rush got 4, closely followed by Utd beating us 6-2 on a Boxing Day again at Goodison. never felt so low going home from a game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
85 Cup Final. Best Everton team of my lifetime, on for a treble. Didn't play well in the final, Whiteside scores a belter. Lots of very nasty Utd fans off their faces with drink, unpleasant atmosphere. Long drive home back to the NW. Horrible feeling.

Worst derby feeling, can't remember the year but I can still see Steve McMahon drilling a shot into the top corner at Goodison to win a match. I was stood in the Gwladys Street and I had a perfect view. It was a cracking match, not like last night, and they were the days when we would win every so often :eek:.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't that how Cantona from Leeds to Man U happened? I recall hearing something about the Leeds manager speaking to Ferguson about buying one of the Man United players. Ferguson said no but I'll buy Cantona if you'd sell him and the Leeds manager said ok.

I think Andy Cole from Newcastle to Man Utd was a similar type of story. Fergie had asked before and Keegan had said no. This time he said yes but I don't think Fergie expected it. If you don't ask you don't get.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think all the foreign players really appreciate what a Derby is or stands for, or is it just another match, although a slightly higher profile one?

I think the foreign players fully appreciate what the Derby means - only have to see the reaction from them when the whistle went and staying behind to celebrate with the fans - I think you would have to be made of stone to not get the Derby especially in Liverpool
With that said, yes, we lost to Arsenal by 3 goals whilst a new manager was finding his team and formation, you don't have that excuse with Kliperty any more, however, since that match and using your terminology we then went on to muller Leicester, Man Utd and Everton (by 5) and beating everyone else put in front of us to the reach the 11 matches we've won back to back to date :D

Why do we need an excuse ? Each team so far has had a little run going in the league , and each one has come to halt with a couple of stumbling games - Chelsea started poorly with some big defeats and now on their run , I have no doubt they will have the same sort of stumble that Arsenal , Liverpool and City have had - especially when they appear to be reliant on one goalscorer
I personally think we've seen the best of Liverpool already, I think teams now know you'll come out fast and press and huff & puff but as everyone has already seen, you run out of steam and teams come back at you, you can't finish anyone off or protect those early goals IMO, as such, even with players to come back, we've all seen your hand and just like Everton did in the first half, teams will play you at your own game, but where's your plan B, I personally don't think you have one?

Everton attempted to nullify the threat yesterday but even then at half time we had the better chances of that half. We then dominated the second half to finish them off and finish the stronger - certainly didn't seem to run out of steam last night , or against Boro. Against Bournemouth we lost concentration as opposed to fitness
Man Utd have now found their feet and I expect them to carry that on now, they traditionally step it up after Christmas but I still don't think they'll reach the top 4, but if they do, it will be at Liverpool's expense as I think those immediately below you have better strength in depth and will dip into the market in January and strengthen even more, I think you'll burn up, a bit like Boom & Bust but in football terminology.

A number have said that we will burn up because it seems to me that the team is getting stronger - a few players will return to the side soon to bolster it , Klopp will sign players during the window to strengthen in areas. With Chelsea so reliant on Costa there is a chance that he could suffer with fatigue and injury as he will need to play every single minute. The biggest hit for us could be Mane going to the ACN - his pace will be a big miss. Our strength in depth prob needs a couple more but then I think that could be the same for all teams

Think there are a lot of twists and turns to come just yet in the title race and don't think anyone can be written off yet - could be one the best title races for a while

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the foreign players fully appreciate what the Derby means - only have to see the reaction from them when the whistle went and staying behind to celebrate with the fans - I think you would have to be made of stone to not get the Derby especially in Liverpool

Why do we need an excuse ? Each team so far has had a little run going in the league , and each one has come to halt with a couple of stumbling games - Chelsea started poorly with some big defeats and now on their run , I have no doubt they will have the same sort of stumble that Arsenal , Liverpool and City have had - especially when they appear to be reliant on one goalscorer

Everton attempted to nullify the threat yesterday but even then at half time we had the better chances of that half. We then dominated the second half to finish them off and finish the stronger - certainly didn't seem to run out of steam last night , or against Boro. Against Bournemouth we lost concentration as opposed to fitness

A number have said that we will burn up because it seems to me that the team is getting stronger - a few players will return to the side soon to bolster it , Klopp will sign players during the window to strengthen in areas. With Chelsea so reliant on Costa there is a chance that he could suffer with fatigue and injury as he will need to play every single minute. The biggest hit for us could be Mane going to the ACN - his pace will be a big miss. Our strength in depth prob needs a couple more but then I think that could be the same for all teams

Think there are a lot of twists and turns to come just yet in the title race and don't think anyone can be written off yet - could be one the best title races for a while
TBH, I think it'll be LPool chasing Chelsea as the main 2, they seem to have the most consistencey, whether that is down to no European Football remains to be seen, I don't think either manager would accept a bad run of 2-3 games.
I find your last paragraph amusing as you'd written Arsenal off back in November :rofl:

D

Deleted member 1740

TBH, I think it'll be LPool chasing Chelsea as the main 2, they seem to have the most consistencey, whether that is down to no European Football remains to be seen, I don't think either manager would accept a bad run of 2-3 games.
I find your last paragraph amusing as you'd written Arsenal off back in November :rofl:

He was 2 months too late though:rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

It more a token sympathy mention tbh - we all know they will end up 4th and knocked out of the CL in the last 16 leaving City Chelsea and Lpool to fight it out with Mancs and Spurs fighting for 5th

If I had to go right now with a finishing top 6 it would be what the table is tbh

Chelsea
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Spurs
Mancs

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No mate you will have to see it first.
He was off the ground because he was pushed,watch it and you might change your mind

Just catching up on this as I missed it at the weekend. I see the red card stands. very harsh. I can see clearly why the ref sent him off but watching the slow motion replays I can fully understand how he ended up going in like he did. It certainly wasn't a conscious act of flying in with two feet. The jostling before had a massive hand in how the tackle for the loose ball took place.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just catching up on this as I missed it at the weekend. I see the red card stands. very harsh. I can see clearly why the ref sent him off but watching the slow motion replays I can fully understand how he ended up going in like he did. It certainly wasn't a conscious act of flying in with two feet. The jostling before had a massive hand in how the tackle for the loose ball took place.
That's exactly what I said on saturday, from the Refs angle he is mid air with both feet off the floor, Stoke players all appealed, but as you say, in slo-mo he is eased off the ball by Johnson. Certainly harsh.

D

Deleted member 16999

It more a token sympathy mention tbh - we all know they will end up 4th and knocked out of the CL in the last 16 leaving City Chelsea and Lpool to fight it out with Mancs and Spurs fighting for 5th

If I had to go right now with a finishing top 6 it would be what the table is tbh

Chelsea
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Spurs
Mancs
Agree on the top 2, but believe Utd might push further up, how far I'm not sure.
Not sure how each team will be affected by ACN, obviously some more than others.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Chelsea
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Spurs
Mancs

Wow absolutely no belief in your own team,when are you going to win it then,probably not in our lifetime.

Unfortunately for us Chelsea have flown so I'm going

Chelsea
Utd
Arsenal
City
Liverpool
Spurs

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree on the top 2, but believe Utd might push further up, how far I'm not sure.
Not sure how each team will be affected by ACN, obviously some more than others.

ACN could be a big one for us because I think it will affect us most losing Mane - don't think any of the other teams lose big players

Still nowhere near convinced with Utd - might scrape into top 4 but think there first 11 is the weakest on paper and it shows. Mhyktrian (sp!) is the key for them

D

Deleted member 16999

ACN could be a big one for us because I think it will affect us most losing Mane - don't think any of the other teams lose big players

Still nowhere near convinced with Utd - might scrape into top 4 but think there first 11 is the weakest on paper and it shows. Mhyktrian (sp!) is the key for them
On paper I'd say Utd have one of the strongest 11, that's been their issue, the 11 haven't clicked.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
On paper I'd say Utd have one of the strongest 11, that's been their issue, the 11 haven't clicked.

But are starting to.

We are relying on Zlatan for goals but have Rashford and Martial and Rooney so a big squad.

Chelsea rely on Costa but both these could hit 30 goals alone.

One thing you need in these title races are plan Bs just look at City without Auguero.

Liverpool have by far the weakest squad and will need to strengthen to stay in the race imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not for me - weak links at RB , CB , CM and the wide areas. Their strength for me is De Gea and Carrick at the moment. City with all fit for me still the strongest but Ilkay a massive loss for them and still need a CB , Chelsea - the back three the weak link , Arsenal - the centre mid and another CB and us - the back line when Matip is out but we have managed a couple clean sheets in the last couple of games without him and then there is the GK. So for me Utd have more weak links or gaps.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not for me - weak links at RB , CB , CM and the wide areas. Their strength for me is De Gea and Carrick at the moment. City with all fit for me still the strongest but Ilkay a massive loss for them and still need a CB , Chelsea - the back three the weak link , Arsenal - the centre mid and another CB and us - the back line when Matip is out but we have managed a couple clean sheets in the last couple of games without him and then there is the GK. So for me Utd have more weak links or gaps.

The good news is you don't know what your talking about so we have a chance.

You obviously have not watched us lately and how well the back 4 are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.