And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The talk is Depay and Schneiderlein are pretty well sewn up. They would be good signings. We need a striker to help out Lukaku.

If Spurs are really offering £25m for Barkley I would take it. Maybe he needs to move to progress. He is standing still, maybe even going backwards at the moment. I really like him but it is not happening for him. Maybe the deal could include Ericssen coming our way?

Agreed on Valencia. I'd like to see Delofeu get more game time as well. He can provide the crosses for Rom.

Do you not think Barkley could move forward with some better quality around him and the club/team show a little more ambition, maybe he's frustrated with the current situation, there's no doubting his talent, but I don't think you'll see much of it if things stay the same at Everton.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fish - I agree. We are playing in a way that isolates Lukaku and Barkley. Both of them are left on their own in their own section of the pitch. They both need more players in blue around them. It's a case of here's the ball, go and do something with it, some players may join you, they may not. I think he is getting disheartened at which point the level of his whole game drops, the ball bounces off him etc. I think he is a genuine talent, two footed, goes past players in a way that Gazza did and whilst I would love him to do it at Everton I want him to become the player we hop he can. That may not be with us and if so that is fine, as long as he does not follow Rooney to the Mancs as that is utterly unforgiveable, obviously :D.

I'd like to see the midfield step forward a few yards to support both Barkely and Lukaku higher up the pitch.

D

Deleted member 15344

and if that's all you can muster in a derby than those all around you have nothing to worry about, yes you carved out a 3 pointer and got your win, but in the grand scheme of things watching that dross poses no threat to the title unless everyone around you implodes :smirk:

A very long way to go and can't see how anything can be judged on a derby - didn't Chelsea get mullered in a Derby this year ?

We didn't play great , missing a couple of big players but still got a good three points - so winning when not setting the world alight , pretty good indicator for a team challenging in the Top 4

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A win is a win, 3 points is all the history books will show.
I thought it was good to see some of the more "flair" players showing some physical and mental strength, and restraint in general after that horror tackle from Barclay.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
A very long way to go and can't see how anything can be judged on a derby - didn't Chelsea get mullered in a Derby this year ?

We didn't play great , missing a couple of big players but still got a good three points - so winning when not setting the world alight , pretty good indicator for a team challenging in the Top 4

Do you think all the foreign players really appreciate what a Derby is or stands for, or is it just another match, although a slightly higher profile one?

With that said, yes, we lost to Arsenal by 3 goals whilst a new manager was finding his team and formation, you don't have that excuse with Kliperty any more, however, since that match and using your terminology we then went on to muller Leicester, Man Utd and Everton (by 5) and beating everyone else put in front of us to the reach the 11 matches we've won back to back to date :D

I personally think we've seen the best of Liverpool already, I think teams now know you'll come out fast and press and huff & puff but as everyone has already seen, you run out of steam and teams come back at you, you can't finish anyone off or protect those early goals IMO, as such, even with players to come back, we've all seen your hand and just like Everton did in the first half, teams will play you at your own game, but where's your plan B, I personally don't think you have one?

Man Utd have now found their feet and I expect them to carry that on now, they traditionally step it up after Christmas but I still don't think they'll reach the top 4, but if they do, it will be at Liverpool's expense as I think those immediately below you have better strength in depth and will dip into the market in January and strengthen even more, I think you'll burn up, a bit like Boom & Bust but in football terminology.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
and if that's all you can muster in a derby than those all around you have nothing to worry about, yes you carved out a 3 pointer and got your win, but in the grand scheme of things watching that dross poses no threat to the title unless everyone around you implodes :smirk:

If we would have took Arsenal's early season whacking of Chelsea as a pointer in a derby.......

D

Deleted member 16999

A win is a win, 3 points is all the history books will show.
I thought it was good to see some of the more "flair" players showing some physical and mental strength, and restraint in general after that horror tackle from Barclay.

:rofl: restrain :rofl: cos no Lpool player ever, ever, made a mis-timed tackle in a Derby.

D

Deleted member 16999

At what point did I excuse previous horrors? Those previous offenders weren't playing last night as far I was aware....
It was the restraint rubbish, even Pete agreed Lovren should've been booked, it was the lack of restraint from both sides that led to the handbags.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The talk is Depay and Schneiderlein are pretty well sewn up. They would be good signings. We need a striker to help out Lukaku.

If Spurs are really offering £25m for Barkley I would take it. Maybe he needs to move to progress. He is standing still, maybe even going backwards at the moment. I really like him but it is not happening for him. Maybe the deal could include Ericssen coming our way?

Agreed on Valencia. I'd like to see Delofeu get more game time as well. He can provide the crosses for Rom.

Can't believe no-ones picked you up on this, Ericsson to everton? 😂😂

Why would spurs give you their best player?

Why would he move from cl club to mid table obscurity?

Funny you blues

D

Deleted member 1740

Do you think all the foreign players really appreciate what a Derby is or stands for, or is it just another match, although a slightly higher profile one?

With that said, yes, we lost to Arsenal by 3 goals whilst a new manager was finding his team and formation, you don't have that excuse with Kliperty any more, however, since that match and using your terminology we then went on to muller Leicester, Man Utd and Everton (by 5) and beating everyone else put in front of us to the reach the 11 matches we've won back to back to date :D

I personally think we've seen the best of Liverpool already, I think teams now know you'll come out fast and press and huff & puff but as everyone has already seen, you run out of steam and teams come back at you, you can't finish anyone off or protect those early goals IMO, as such, even with players to come back, we've all seen your hand and just like Everton did in the first half, teams will play you at your own game, but where's your plan B, I personally don't think you have one?

Man Utd have now found their feet and I expect them to carry that on now, they traditionally step it up after Christmas but I still don't think they'll reach the top 4, but if they do, it will be at Liverpool's expense as I think those immediately below you have better strength in depth and will dip into the market in January and strengthen even more, I think you'll burn up, a bit like Boom & Bust but in football terminology.

More like " you want us to " :whistle:

We're a much fitter side than we were this time last season and we've got less games anda greater recovery period after games.

We do lack quality in depth but I haven't seen any games this season were our fitness levels have caused us to drop points.

On a side note I hope all of those everton wives are OK this morning :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't believe no-ones picked you up on this, Ericsson to everton? 

Funny you blues

If you don't ask you don't get. We lack a player like him so you can't blame me for wanting him on my wish list. Do I expect to get him, no, but sometimes a manager moves players on if a simple question is asked so why not? Spurs have a surplus of midfielders, always have had over the years so you never know. I remember Southampton fans on this forum scoffing asking why would Koeman move. It happened then, this could too (incidentally I have no evidence or rumour, he is just a player I like and would improve us)

D

Deleted member 1740

Can't believe no-ones picked you up on this, Ericsson to everton? 😂😂

Funny you blues

It was noted and in the vault for future evidence when required :rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some crying done about that tackle from Barkley. Proper yellow card derby tackle. Bit late and looked sore as it caught henderson right on the ankle but for me that is part of the game. A rojo horror tackle it wasnt.

Everton very slow to react for the goal. Mane is some player. You cant fail to be impressed with his energy.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't ask you don't get. We lack a player like him so you can't blame me for wanting him on my wish list. Do I expect to get him, no, but sometimes a manager moves players on if a simple question is asked so why not? Spurs have a surplus of midfielders, always have had over the years so you never know. I remember Southampton fans on this forum scoffing asking why would Koeman move. It happened then, this could too (incidentally I have no evidence or rumour, he is just a player I like and would improve us)

Wasn't that how Cantona from Leeds to Man U happened? I recall hearing something about the Leeds manager speaking to Ferguson about buying one of the Man United players. Ferguson said no but I'll buy Cantona if you'd sell him and the Leeds manager said ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.