And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

What exactly is Wenger getting wrong at the moment or is it the "they'll finish 4th again" they are still in the CL, 3 points off top and could go 2nd next saturday, still in the EFL, surely it would be better waiting till the Jan transfer has closed or they're out the top 4, etc,

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on Phil even you can see that if Wenger really wanted Vardy that he would have offered Vardy an offer that he could not refuse. Truth is Wenger won't get sucked into spending over the odds and on this occasion he was probably right.

Sorry but no actually I can't see that - Wenger offered Vardy a lot of money and he turned Arsenal down - he had a choice and decided to stay with Leicester - im not sure why you keep talking about spending over the odds when a release clause was met and Vardy wasn't asking for anything more than was offered by both clubs ?

The decision Vardy made was nothing to do with money. If another club had offered more or Leicester had offered more then maybe you would have a point but no one did

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What exactly is Wenger getting wrong at the moment or is it the "they'll finish 4th again" they are still in the CL, 3 points off top and could go 2nd next saturday, still in the EFL, surely it would be better waiting till the Jan transfer has closed or they're out the top 4, etc,

Excellent point. Some rubbish being spouted about Wenger (again). The window is shut and Wenger has his squad and Arsenal seem to be ticking along rather well

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Didn't you say 7th at best in July?:whistle:

No mate.

I've not had chance to get on for a while, resend it and I'll reply.

Plenty of time to drop like a stone. especially as injuries mount up and fixtures come thick and fast! The January window will be key for some teams to strengthen, but will they?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but no actually I can't see that - Wenger offered Vardy a lot of money and he turned Arsenal down - he had a choice and decided to stay with Leicester - im not sure why you keep talking about spending over the odds when a release clause was met and Vardy wasn't asking for anything more than was offered by both clubs ?

The decision Vardy made was nothing to do with money. If another club had offered more or Leicester had offered more then maybe you would have a point but no one did

Like I said Wenger didn't offer Vardy anything special, just a match of Leicester's offer. Because he's not worth paying more for and Vardy will probably regret that decision for the rest of his life.

D

Deleted member 15344

Like I said Wenger didn't offer Vardy anything special, just a match of Leicester's offer. Because he's not worth paying more for and Vardy will probably regret that decision for the rest of his life.

So the player had a straight choice between Arsenal and Leicester and picked Leicester - it is really as simple as that Wenger couldn't persuade a Leicester player to join the club - right now he also can't persuade your two best players to sign new contracts as well

Your initial post stated that it's good that Wenger doesn't listen to the forum or Arsenal would have players like Vardy and Martial - all that was pointed out to you was that Wenger did go for those players - and in fact one of those players turned him down - no matter how you try to twist into a financial issue it clearly wasn't - it was a straight choice between two clubs and he went with the League Champions.

And why would he regret it ? He has already got something that no player at Arsenal has won with Arsenal - a league medal , he is in a team that had already won their CL group and into the next round and is making history with that club and they have a great chance to keep going.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think koeman will come good.

What i I wouldn't give for another decent striker. Might take sturridge as a paperweight next summer when Liverpool di their usual shopping visit.

Straight swap for Van Dijk,please - sign here...............

I think him and Matip together would be great, Lovren is doing well with him, but think Matip/Dijk would be a fantastic partnership for the next 5 years.

Actually, I think we have some loyalty vouchers we can use up as well.:D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Manchester United after 13 games:

- Moyes: 22 points

- Van Gaal: 22 points

- Mourinho: 20 points

Previous achievements go a long way, but are also not finite.

That why Moyes got less than a year (not much previous achievements).

Van Gaal got 2 seasons due to his previous managerial trophy list.

Mourinho will he get 2-3 seasons, though? The thing with Mourinho is that when things do go wrong, the whole world gets attacked and it brings negative press on the club/players and anyone else in his firing line, and its whether the board and supporters will accept that, or not.

You've got to give him to the end of the season.....as long as there are good signs.......and he hasnt dragged the club through the gutter press each week.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Straight swap for Van Dijk,please - sign here...............

I think him and Matip together would be great, Lovren is doing well with him, but think Matip/Dijk would be a fantastic partnership for the next 5 years.

Actually, I think we have some loyalty vouchers we can use up as well.:D

Lol.

Nope and nope.

Being realistic, he will leave us. But, I certainly wouldn't want an injury prone (quality) player in exchange.

think he'all leave in summer and for you to have a chance you'll need top 4 as he's cl quality no doubt.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We're only ⅓ of the way through the season!
Plenty of time yet, but it'd help if opposing 'keepers didn't play so bloody well against us.
Hammers 'keeper with a MoM performance.

You've only finished as high as you have in the last 2 seasons because of De gea though.:thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lol.

Nope and nope.

Being realistic, he will leave us. But, I certainly wouldn't want an injury prone (quality) player in exchange.

think he'all leave in summer and for you to have a chance you'll need top 4 as he's cl quality no doubt.

I wouldnt blame you.

Sturridge has been a great finisher, but the last 2 seasons injuries have taken their toll, and his pace and sharpness have suffered.

I still think he could be a great signing for someone, but it would be a gamble.

Van Dijk has impressed me this and last season. From what I saw at Celtic, he also looked very good, but us English have a myopic view as to Scottish based players being able to play in the Prem, but fair play to you for going for him.

Has he any weaknesses?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the player had a straight choice between Arsenal and Leicester and picked Leicester - it is really as simple as that Wenger couldn't persuade a Leicester player to join the club - right now he also can't persuade your two best players to sign new contracts as well

Your initial post stated that it's good that Wenger doesn't listen to the forum or Arsenal would have players like Vardy and Martial - all that was pointed out to you was that Wenger did go for those players - and in fact one of those players turned him down - no matter how you try to twist into a financial issue it clearly wasn't - it was a straight choice between two clubs and he went with the League Champions.

And why would he regret it ? He has already got something that no player at Arsenal has won with Arsenal - a league medal , he is in a team that had already won their CL group and into the next round and is making history with that club and they have a great chance to keep going.

Because with all due respect Arsenal are a far bigger club than Leicester.

He would have still had his league winner medal if he had joined Arsenal but he could conceivably be playing in the championship within the next couple of years with Leicester.

Yes they won the league last year but they are now 1000/1 to do it again and Arsenal are 6/1. Is there something you know that the bookies don't?

D

Deleted member 15344

Because with all due respect Arsenal are a far bigger club than Leicester.

Leicester are current League champions - Arsenal aren't - seems for Vardy the "size" of the club is irrelevant

He would have still had his league winner medal if he had joined Arsenal but he could conceivably be playing in the championship within the next couple of years with Leicester.

Yes they won the league last year but they are now 1000/1 to do it again and Arsenal are 6/1. Is there something you know that the bookies don't?

Arsenal were shorter odds than Leicester last year to win it as well - seems the bookies were wrong then

Ultimately Wenger wanted Vardy but he turned him down - so your initial statement and many more since are at best not very well through through

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I wouldnt blame you.

Sturridge has been a great finisher, but the last 2 seasons injuries have taken their toll, and his pace and sharpness have suffered.

I still think he could be a great signing for someone, but it would be a gamble.

Van Dijk has impressed me this and last season. From what I saw at Celtic, he also looked very good, but us English have a myopic view as to Scottish based players being able to play in the Prem, but fair play to you for going for him.

Has he any weaknesses?

Would have to see him when not alongside Fonte to judge.
a lot of us (saints fans) thought fonte was a weak link a few years back, but he seems to be just as good no matter what cb we replace the previous with.

He he likes to wander a little at times, but for me there aren't many I'd take over him. In the air he is immense. Quite quick and play a pass.

Re Sturridge, would happily take him on loan but can't see how you can afford to lose him ATM with Mane likely to leave for Africa in Jan.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would have to see him when not alongside Fonte to judge.
a lot of us (saints fans) thought fonte was a weak link a few years back, but he seems to be just as good no matter what cb we replace the previous with.

He he likes to wander a little at times, but for me there aren't many I'd take over him. In the air he is immense. Quite quick and play a pass.

Re Sturridge, would happily take him on loan but can't see how you can afford to lose him ATM with Mane likely to leave for Africa in Jan.

Van Dijk seems to be very cool on the ball as well, although get the wandering thing after seeing him today.

At the moment, If Coutinho is out for a few weeks/months I'd give Origi a run of 10 games and put Firminho slightly wider in the 3. Sturridge is a better finisher than Origi, on past history, but Origi works harder, holds it up better, has better link play and contributes more to the team. If he can score 2/3's of Sturridges goals it would be enough.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Van Dijk seems to be very cool on the ball as well, although get the wandering thing after seeing him today.

At the moment, If Coutinho is out for a few weeks/months I'd give Origi a run of 10 games and put Firminho slightly wider in the 3. Sturridge is a better finisher than Origi, on past history, but Origi works harder, holds it up better, has better link play and contributes more to the team. If he can score 2/3's of Sturridges goals it would be enough.

I certainly expect to see more of Origi, quality finisher that sturridge is. His best season also came when he was part of a fluid forward line that suited him.

He he seems to not connect with the team as he did with Suarez, gerrard and sterling.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd lighten the mood a little.

My 5 year old grandson came down after football training the other day in his Arsenal strip ( his dads seen one Arsenal game and thinks he's supports them) so I called him over and took his top off and packed it in the bin,the look on his face was priceless, he stood for awhile before he took it back out.

The day after the Monaco loss I said to him " Spurs lost last night" he gave a fist pump and said "yes" . Have to have words with his dad.:D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd lighten the mood a little.

My 5 year old grandson came down after football training the other day in his Arsenal strip ( his dads seen one Arsenal game and thinks he's supports them) so I called him over and took his top off and packed it in the bin,the look on his face was priceless, he stood for awhile before he took it back out.

The day after the Monaco loss I said to him " Spurs lost last night" he gave a fist pump and said "yes" . Have to have words with his dad.:D

Haha sounds a great little boy.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tidy win and onto the semi finals - great to see the young lad get his first goal and in front of the kop , something dreams are made off.

Status
Not open for further replies.