And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yep , it looks like we are signing Rob Holding from Bolton for £2M . Not the finished article but a top prospect .....apparently.

Apparently it was 10m last year.

Not it sure whether that means you've got a great deal, or his not as good as first thought........

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If UTD get Pogba they'll be the team to beat this season 

is it only me who doesn't see the huge hype around him?

He's a good player no denying that but he didn't exactly set the euros alight?
although I think he's played in a more advanced role for Juve and not seen much of him there...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

although I think he's played in a more advanced role for Juve and not seen much of him there...

No, it's not just you. He's probably got the physique needed to play up front in the Prem, but I think his first touch can let him down too often. A couple of good centre backs to clatter him a few times might show if he's got the appetite for it...

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, it's not just you. He's probably got the physique needed to play up front in the Prem, but I think his first touch can let him down too often. A couple of good centre backs to clatter him a few times might show if he's got the appetite for it...

For me he's got to play as a box to box because he's not defensive minded enough to sit deep but to me he hasn't got the feet to play in attacking mid role.

It'll certainly be interesting to see if he could adapt to the pace of the premiership.

Ryan Shawcross will put him in his place :thup:

D

Deleted member 18588

For me he's got to play as a box to box because he's not defensive minded enough to sit deep but to me he hasn't got the feet to play in attacking mid role.

It'll certainly be interesting to see if he could adapt to the pace of the premiership.

Ryan Shawcross will put him in his place :thup:

The old "but could he do it on a cold Monday night at Stoke" argument!

And we wonder why the English game lags behind the rest of the world when we make heroes out of players like Shawcross and Skirtl whose talents are holding, shirt pulling, tripping, kicking opponents, lumping the ball upfield and just occasionally passing to a team-mate.

Every team needs its destroyers but don't hold them up to be a measure.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The old "but could he do it on a cold Monday night at Stoke" argument!

And we wonder why the English game lags behind the rest of the world when we make heroes out of players like Shawcross and Skirtl whose talents are holding, shirt pulling, tripping, kicking opponents, lumping the ball upfield and just occasionally passing to a team-mate.

Every team needs its destroyers but don't hold them up to be a measure.

Bias maybe but Shawcross is a fantastic defender.

Don't make assumptions on what the media tells you. :thup:

D

Deleted member 18588

Bias maybe but Shawcross is a fantastic defender.

Don't make assumptions on what the media tells you. :thup:

I have seen more than enough of him (and his ilk) to form my own opinion and Shawcross is a destroyer rather than a defender, to me there is a difference.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I've not seen too much of him tbh.
But he must be decent if he's being valued at £100m

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have seen more than enough of him (and his ilk) to form my own opinion and Shawcross is a destroyer rather than a defender, to me there is a difference.

you've seen the tackle a mistimed but not malicious challenge on Ramsey?

Shawcross has come on massively since Hughes joined too and he's actually a brilliant passer of the ball and very comfortable on the ball. I'm sure he'd be in the England set up a lot more if he didn't play for Stoke.

Shows last year how good of a defender he is when returning from injury we had 6/7 clean sheets in a row.
The lads a brilliant player who has been ridiculed and labelled as a 'rough' player from one tackle and Aaron Ramsey playing on it for the last 5 years.

I for one am delighted that he's our captain.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They say it's all about the players so if Steve Walsh works his magic at Everton they can expect to be a much improved team in the future.

A while ago on this thread I joked, I think it was me but if it was someone else then I apologise, that Liverpool should be hiring the head of recruitment at Southampton instead of spending small fortunes on buying the players that this guy had picked out. It looks as though Everton have followed this theory with Walsh. I hope he signs soon, we need to get some players in. If he comes off then the compensation fee to Leicester will be paid back in bucket loads.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Shawcross has come on massively since Hughes joined too and he's actually a brilliant passer of the ball and very comfortable on the ball. I'm sure he'd be in the England set up a lot more if he didn't play for Stoke.

Shows last year how good of a defender he is when returning from injury we had 6/7 clean sheets in a row.
The lads a brilliant player who has been ridiculed and labelled as a 'rough' player from one tackle and Aaron Ramsey playing on it for the last 5 years.

get over yerself lol, the stoke fans still booo Ramsey for having the gall to put his leg in the way of Shawcross disgusting over the ball "tackle". hardly a one off tackle either, plenty of others over the years

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
get over yerself lol, the stoke fans still booo Ramsey for having the gall to put his leg in the way of Shawcross disgusting over the ball "tackle". hardly a one off tackle either, plenty of others over the years

Ramsey is the one that needs to get over it :D

Strikes me as ridiculous that a player would deny another professional the chance to play international football for a mistimed tackle. :smirk:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ramsey is the one that needs to get over it :D

Strikes me as ridiculous that a player would deny another professional the chance to play international football for a mistimed tackle. :smirk:

Ramsey isnt denying Shawcross anything, he just isnt good enough. And its Shawcross who stopped Ramsey playing for best part of a year!!!!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ramsey isnt denying Shawcross anything, he just isnt good enough. And its Shawcross who stopped Ramsey playing for best part of a year!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...y-doesnt-want-Ryan-Shawcross-Wales-squad.html

no didn't deny him anything at all.

This stuff happens mate, it's a contact sport.
Ramsey's leg was already planted when Ryan tackled him and any sort of contact moving at that speed was going to break it, he clearly had all eyes on the ball and was probably an inch over the top of the ball.

The lad was in absolute bits the moment it happened and couldn't be sorry enough.
The 1 thing that annoyed me most about Ramsey is he acted like it had never ever happened to anyone else and it was 'the worst thing that could happen on a pitch' despite incidents such as Marc-Vivien Foe and Fabrice Muamba.

D

Deleted member 18588

My assessment of him deliberately excludes the Ramsey tackle, which , I agree, was mistimed rather than malicious.

However, it was also massively reckless and the Stoke fans continued baiting of Ramsey is, even by the standards of football supporters, pathetic and boorish.

If you believe him to be a "brilliant passer" and "very comfortable on the ball" we must clearly have massively different standards.

A more than adequate destroyer but not a brilliant player nor international standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.