And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Much of my family are 'ammers... Asked them this morning if, with their current form, they have a hankering for Big Sam to return... Can't really use their replies on here... But, a resounding no thank you sums them up... Staying in the top level is important but watching good footie prevails for most fans...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well what has your club stadium held over the years?

Christian crusaders, ex-Beatles, Harlem globetrotters, baseball, tennis, boxing, other clubs winning their first league championship, Rugby world cup finals, England unbeaten in all internationals, Scottish (ghost) hand balls (and drinking competition, by the looks of it;)), and even Man united home games.......:eek:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ws/isnt-anfield-liverpools-home-used-12185338

D

Deleted member 15344

Hated Ashley?!?! , the same man that came in and turned the club around spending millions of pounds of his own money in the process?

Perhaps Newcastle supporters would love to see the team fall through the leagues but it would be OK as long as they played decent football.

OK Ashley isn't perfect but it's unbelievably ungrateful and dismissive of Ashley's contribution IMO. Hated? Unbelievable.

That is the expected response of someone who counts the bank balance and stadium as a measure of success in sport

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just come back from watching the Fantastic Beasts film and found it very funny that someone thinks Mike Ashley has made a positive contribution to Newcastle. Really, that is funny 😁. Except for Newcastle fans who are still crying 😢.

Great post by Paul on the subject, lays it out without the emotion. Throw emotion into the mix and no, he really is not popular or wanted.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Unless you can see alternative universe's how can you justify the last paragraph, would City or Chelsea or Man Utd etc be as high if they had different owners? Prior to Ashley Newcastle had CL Football and finished 3rd in the PL, if ever there was a club with potential?
They also have the 9th in the list of trophies won, pretty high in that pyramid!

I justify the last paragraph as such.

When he he came in they weren't a cl qualifying team. They were a team who were already in a mess And likely to get Worse. Leeds are a pretty big name and now they're usually happily to settle mid table in the championship.

Their history and fan base is totally irrelevant. Without Ashley they would have plummeted. I don't recall their being too many over bids to save them. Now they want better, there's nothing wrong with that at all. But this whole convo came because someone had to have a pop and someone who left a year ago.

My original response was simply that there last manager is still going better than they are....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Why does it have to be one or the other?

You can of course want both.

I want two holdiays abroad each year and to own my own home. Unfortunately I have to forgo the odd holiday to pay the mortgage.

The point im making is that IMO, if it wasn't for Ashley. Your team would most likely have been lucky to be challenging in the championship. Let alone anything else.

So whilst I wouldn't expect anyone in Newcastle to build a statue for him. I'd think most would have at least accepted that he helped to keep you stable.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can of course want both.

I want two holdiays abroad each year and to own my own home. Unfortunately I have to forgo the odd holiday to pay the mortgage.

The point im making is that IMO, if it wasn't for Ashley. Your team would most likely have been lucky to be challenging in the championship. Let alone anything else.

So whilst I wouldn't expect anyone in Newcastle to build a statue for him. I'd think most would have at least accepted that he helped to keep you stable.

Maybe if you use your crystal ball to get the winning lottery numbers instead of peering into another her dimension where Ashley doesn't buy the club and we plummet, you could have those 2 holidays a year and your house would already be paid off.

D

Deleted member 16999

I justify the last paragraph as such.

When he he came in they weren't a cl qualifying team. They were a team who were already in a mess And likely to get Worse. Leeds are a pretty big name and now they're usually happily to settle mid table in the championship.

Their history and fan base is totally irrelevant. Without Ashley they would have plummeted. I don't recall their being too many over bids to save them. Now they want better, there's nothing wrong with that at all. But this whole convo came because someone had to have a pop and someone who left a year ago.

My original response was simply that there last manager is still going better than they are....
11 managers in 9 years and you claim he's kept them stable, relegated twice in that time?
I'd happily see Newcastle fail season on season, but genuinely and honestly have seen nothing but turmoil on and off the pitch since he took over, history is irrelevant you say, what has he done then? They are now a championship side, they weren't when he bought them so surely he's took them backwards

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you can use hindsight to justify your apparent claims of Pardew I can use mine to suggest that Ashley at the time helped you survive.

The only u overseas we have is one where he stepped in and saved you. The alternatives are all subjects your imagination not kind. You're the one who thinks you've had a rough deal.

Feel free to to tell me all about the alternative offers made for your club that would of served you better?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
11 managers in 9 years and you claim he's kept them stable, relegated twice in that time?
I'd happily see Newcastle fail season on season, but genuinely and honestly have seen nothing but turmoil on and off the pitch since he took over, history is irrelevant you say, what has he done then? They are now a championship side, they weren't when he bought them so surely he's took them backwards

When he bought they were broke. Pretty much all teams in that position have suffered relegation. Quite a few have gone a lot lower than just the chamopionship to rebuild.

Ive never claimed he has been a great success. Just that without the financial input he put in initially I reckon they'd be worse off.

Re the trnasfer profit they've made over that time. Saints haven't spend a lot in the same time and have had more success. West Ham have soent more and had less. Financial input can't be all that's judged for a level of commitment IMO.

Ironically last season they spent more than usual and still failed.

D

Deleted member 16999

When he bought they were broke. Pretty much all teams in that position have suffered relegation. Quite a few have gone a lot lower than just the chamopionship to rebuild.

Ive never claimed he has been a great success. Just that without the financial input he put in initially I reckon they'd be worse off.

Re the trnasfer profit they've made over that time. Saints haven't spend a lot in the same time and have had more success. West Ham have soent more and had less. Financial input can't be all that's judged for a level of commitment IMO.

Ironically last season they spent more than usual and still failed.
Not sure why you say they were broke? One of the owners Sir John Hall sold his shares to Ashley and the other owner Shepherd refused to sell, it was only after Ashley bought out minor shareholders and had enough to oust Shepherd as Chairman he agreed to sell his shares. No idea what Soton and West Ham have to do with it, there are good and bad run clubs in every league.
Agree simply spending money for the sake of it is wrong, but we'll see next season when they come back up and if Ashley gives benitez money to strengthen.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not sure why you say they were broke? One of the owners Sir John Hall sold his shares to Ashley and the other owner Shepherd refused to sell, it was only after Ashley bought out minor shareholders and had enough to oust Shepherd as Chairman he agreed to sell his shares. No idea what Soton and West Ham have to do with it, there are good and bad run clubs in every league.
Agree simply spending money for the sake of it is wrong, but we'll see next season when they come back up and if Ashley gives benitez money to strengthen.

To shepherds credit he didn't want to sell (to Ashley). But according to their own financial report from end of 2006 they were looking to sell and wouldn't invest in recruitment due to financial troubles.

My point about saints and West Ham was that they're two clubs that in recent times have had financial hardship and have gone about things differently with similar results.

Id imagine if Rafa is given 70m like was spemt by Newcastle the year of their relegation he'd do well. But it's all just pie in the sky ATM. i actually like Newcastle. Always a good night out with the footy.

I just think semtimes times it's better the devil you know.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To shepherds credit he didn't want to sell (to Ashley). But according to their own financial report from end of 2006 they were looking to sell and wouldn't invest in recruitment due to financial troubles.

My point about saints and West Ham was that they're two clubs that in recent times have had financial hardship and have gone about things differently with similar results.

Id imagine if Rafa is given 70m like was spemt by Newcastle the year of their relegation he'd do well. But it's all just pie in the sky ATM. i actually like Newcastle. Always a good night out with the footy.

The amount you spend doesn't really matter, it's how you spend it that counts.

Ashley allowed Graham Carr to dictate the signing and most of them were terrible. Another reason why Ashley is dislike. He tried to buy on the cheap to sell on without actually buying anybody decent.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Come on boro......just need Costa (my captain) to get a hat-trick, all set up by Hazard, and Gibson scoring four for Boro to keep my team top of the GM monthly fantasy league......and miles ahead of Stu C.:D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a joke isn't it? Ashley took over a mess and now the club are financially stable.

It's not really Ashley's fault that managers have come in and have been disappointing. He has top coach now with Rafa and he must have said a lot of the right things to him to make him want to stay despite being in the championship.

Fickle fans looking at the here and now rather than the big picture. In 5, 10, 15, years from now you will most likely look back and see how beneficial it was to have someone like Ashley come in and sort the club out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Rafa has spent 55mil and they've sold players for 85Mil, including Wijnaldum who cost 14.5, part of the 70 you mention, for 25, Sissoko cost 2.5 sold for 30, the fans aren't seeing the big money reinvested, they see in recent years a big turnover in squad with players bought cheap and sold big, great business model but not the model for a great football team.

D

Deleted member 16999

This is a joke isn't it? Ashley took over a mess and now the club are financially stable.

It's not really Ashley's fault that managers have come in and have been disappointing. He has top coach now with Rafa and he must have said a lot of the right things to him to make him want to stay despite being in the championship.

Fickle fans looking at the here and now rather than the big picture. In 5, 10, 15, years from now you will most likely look back and see how beneficial it was to have someone like Ashley come in and sort the club out.
Just keeping posting nonsense rather than answering the vaild facts put to you.

11 managers in 9 years and it's not ashleys fault :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-nine-years-newcastle-7951146

Yep they are financially stable as he has sold players for profit and kept it in his pocket as the club has been relegated.

Only Wenger Arsenal fans look at a balance sheet as a measure of success- they were a Prem team which gained Europeans football before Ashley arrived - they are now a Championship team - in the 9 years on the pitch they have gone backwards

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just keeping posting nonsense rather than answering the vaild facts put to you.

11 managers in 9 years and it's not ashleys fault :rofl:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-nine-years-newcastle-7951146

Yep they are financially stable as he has sold players for profit and kept it in his pocket as the club has been relegated.

Only Wenger Arsenal fans look at a balance sheet as a measure of success- they were a Prem team which gained Europeans football before Ashley arrived - they are now a Championship team - in the 9 years on the pitch they have gone backwards

He'll just ignore the factual points being made and keep coming back with nonsense.

Typical Wengerite

Status
Not open for further replies.