And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But I haven't made any judgements on any of the recent England games nor made any judgement on Southgate or any of the players who played in either match ?

I didn't comment or make judgements on either match whilst they were going on or after about anything that went on because I didn't watch them to make a judgement.

What I made a comment on is when people start calling others a disgrace because they don't support the national team.

Have a look back to the posts, post World Cup, and to those through the Euro Qualifiers and into the finals. And now we're getting the same in these WC qualifiers. Are we to be subjected to constant posts about these qualifiers by someone who, by his own admission, doesn't even watch the games? Hilarious!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What I don't get is those who support England Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Tiddlywinks etc but don't support the football team...why?
And don't come back with " Its my choice" that's like saying "You're wrong, because you are".
If you can support the National team in one sport, why not another one.....?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What I don't get is those who support England Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Tiddlywinks etc but don't support the football team...why?
And don't come back with " Its my choice" that's like saying "You're wrong, because you are".

Not sure if this was based on things I said earlier, but for clarity, if it is.

England Cricket and rugby are not massively overpaid, overhyped, over-privileged sportsmen, generally. They are not supported by boorish Anti-German/French/Irish/Scottish who want to fight the world, embarrass us when abroad. They also haven't stuck two fingers up to the rest of the nation after having a few years on the road. I also don't feel as much as an affinity with the football team, as the other sports, and I say that as a football fan. I feel more in common with the European ryder cup team, than them.

If I had an all-expenses tournament pass to the Euros, I would definitely consider following Ireland or Scotland than England, due to the atmosphere surrounding England in town, compared to Ireland or Scotland in town.

I do hope they all win, though. :thup:

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

England Cricket and rugby are not massively overpaid, overhyped, over-privileged sportsmen, generally. They are not supported by boorish Anti-German/French/Irish/Scottish who want to fight the world, embarrass us when abroad. They also haven't stuck two fingers up to the rest of the nation after having a few years on the road. I also don't feel as much as an affinity with the football team, as the other sports, and I say that as a football fan. I feel more in common with the European ryder cup team, than them.

If I had an all-expenses tournament pass to the Euros, I would definitely consider following Ireland or Scotland than England, due to the atmosphere surrounding England in town, compared to Ireland or Scotland in town.

A well reasoned response Sir - Bravo!

D

Deleted member 15344

With Rugby for example my dad was a big England Rugby fan - he took me a load of matches throughout the 80's and we went to the WC in 91 - I have affiliation to any club and don't support any club - just England

For football I grew up a Liverpool fan - went regularly to watch the team , can only remember England when they played in the summer tournaments , didn't go to any England games just didn't have any connection to supporting them. Through the 90's as the media got worse and worse and the hype got even bigger. Then I was a steward at Wemberlee for Euro 96 and it was great - no media hype , no major trouble , no hatred being displayed towards any player because they played for a club

And then the England football team hype blew in with the Beckham media circus hitting town - first there was 98 , fan trouble , then the hype and then burning of Beckham effergeis , and then the media circus just got even worse , haircuts back page or even front page news , then a spice girl , then the players jumping on the hype , then we had the Gerrard/Lampard issue and the amount of tripe posted towards players because of who they played and it just snowballed from there

In 2000 when they went on the road whilst people outside of London got to see the national team you also had England players booed and jeered and subjected to insults based on who they played for - at Old Trafford - Liverpool players booed and vice versa for the grounds and clubs . Then you only have to look at social media and you can only guess at what fans say about England players who aren't from their own club . To me it's just not something that i could ever suppprt , just don't see any connection to the team

You don't see it happening with the cricket team or rugby team or indeed any other sport

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
With Rugby for example my dad was a big England Rugby fan - he took me a load of matches throughout the 80's and we went to the WC in 91 - I have affiliation to any club and don't support any club - just England

For football I grew up a Liverpool fan - went regularly to watch the team , can only remember England when they played in the summer tournaments , didn't go to any England games just didn't have any connection to supporting them. Through the 90's as the media got worse and worse and the hype got even bigger. Then I was a steward at Wemberlee for Euro 96 and it was great - no media hype , no major trouble , no hatred being displayed towards any player because they played for a club

And then the England football team hype blew in with the Beckham media circus hitting town - first there was 98 , fan trouble , then the hype and then burning of Beckham effergeis , and then the media circus just got even worse , haircuts back page or even front page news , then a spice girl , then the players jumping on the hype , then we had the Gerrard/Lampard issue and the amount of tripe posted towards players because of who they played and it just snowballed from there

In 2000 when they went on the road whilst people outside of London got to see the national team you also had England players booed and jeered and subjected to insults based on who they played for - at Old Trafford - Liverpool players booed and vice versa for the grounds and clubs . Then you only have to look at social media and you can only guess at what fans say about England players who aren't from their own club . To me it's just not something that i could ever suppprt , just don't see any connection to the team

You don't see it happening with the cricket team or rugby team or indeed any other sport

Only you Phil can write such nonsense.

You seem to have a awful lot to say on something that doesn't interest you as others have posted,even things you have not watched because you get that info from papers and radio 5 live,Henderson being a prime example.

You mention Beckham and the spice girl but if you happened to read his book you may understand a little more about their relationship, that actually is still going strong and children they can be proud of.

D

Deleted member 16999

The hooligans have won then!
Like you I'm more than happy to see the home nations win, but not against England, then again I like to see our club sides win in Europe, regardless of club loyalties. England first for me everytime.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like you I'm more than happy to see the home nations win, but not against England, then again I like to see our club sides win in Europe, regardless of club loyalties. England first for me everytime.

Mate I see what your saying but I have to disagree,there is no way I want Liverpool to win anywhere regardless of who they play.
I actually watch Liverpool quite a lot when they are on purely because if they lose I can take the p more.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I like to see our club sides win in Europe, regardless of club loyalties.

No no no noooooo, ain't gonna happen, the only team I would hope to do well would be a rogue team that's not a rival that probably won't get into Europe again, otherwise, good night vienna!

D

Deleted member 16999

I totally get people not understanding me wanting English teams to do well in Europe, but love seeing English Clubs being the best, in the PL only interested in Everton winning (doesn't happen often).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Paul, I've had the good fortune in recent years to visit Wembley a few times for semis & finals. Regardless of who we are playing, I normally end up having to act as a human shield to protect my wife from the bottles, cans and any other crap that the English opposition fans feel it's acceptable to throw at us on the way up to the stadium.

We've also had the good fortune to visit Germany for one particular final against German opposition. I wore a club shirt. There, the entire town turned out for the day, mostly in red. At no point did my wife and I have anything throw at us, get spat on or otherwise get threatened or assaulted. If we stopped and got the map out we were immediately surrounded by red shirted Bayern fans anxious to help. One guy even came out of his shop leaving it unattended. We shared beers and jokes with them, and they even joined in with good grace when the cretinous element amongst the Chelsea fans started the Dambusters antics. When a few fans invaded the pitch afterwards the German police threw them back into the terraces rather than nicking them. After the game, and having robbed them in their own back yard, we were congratulated by the opposition fans & wished a safe journey in perfect English. At no point did either of us feel in any danger whatsoever.

If Bayern Munich are playing any English club other than Chelsea it shouldn't be too difficult to work out who I'm going to be pulling for or why.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BiM, how about if Man Utd were playing Bayern Munich in the CL final with Chelsea having finished 4th in the league. The PL would lose their 4th CL place if Man Utd didn't win the final due to the coefficient. Would you rather Chelsea missed out on CL football the following year and have Bayern win the final or have Man Utd win so Chelsea qualified the following year?

The above is the reason that I don't understand any fan of one of the bigger clubs not supporting English clubs in Europe. If they do well then we maintain our 4 CL places, if they do badly then we could lose one of our places and it could be your team that misses out.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
BiM, how about if Man Utd were playing Bayern Munich in the CL final with Chelsea having finished 4th in the league. The PL would lose their 4th CL place if Man Utd didn't win the final due to the coefficient. Would you rather Chelsea missed out on CL football the following year and have Bayern win the final or have Man Utd win so Chelsea qualified the following year?

The above is the reason that I don't understand any fan of one of the bigger clubs not supporting English clubs in Europe. If they do well then we maintain our 4 CL places, if they do badly then we could lose one of our places and it could be your team that misses out.

Man Utd fans are amongst those who have chucked the bottles so it changes nothing as far as I'm concerned.

If we want to be in the Champions League we should be doing better than 4th and not relying on favours from other clubs.

D

Deleted member 16999

Paul, I've had the good fortune in recent years to visit Wembley a few times for semis & finals. Regardless of who we are playing, I normally end up having to act as a human shield to protect my wife from the bottles, cans and any other crap that the English opposition fans feel it's acceptable to throw at us on the way up to the stadium.

We've also had the good fortune to visit Germany for one particular final against German opposition. I wore a club shirt. There, the entire town turned out for the day, mostly in red. At no point did my wife and I have anything throw at us, get spat on or otherwise get threatened or assaulted. If we stopped and got the map out we were immediately surrounded by red shirted Bayern fans anxious to help. One guy even came out of his shop leaving it unattended. We shared beers and jokes with them, and they even joined in with good grace when the cretinous element amongst the Chelsea fans started the Dambusters antics. When a few fans invaded the pitch afterwards the German police threw them back into the terraces rather than nicking them. After the game, and having robbed them in their own back yard, we were congratulated by the opposition fans & wished a safe journey in perfect English. At no point did either of us feel in any danger whatsoever.

If Bayern Munich are playing any English club other than Chelsea it shouldn't be too difficult to work out who I'm going to be pulling for or why.
We've all seen good and bad at football grounds over the years, lived in Germany for over 10 years which coincided with Everton playing Bayern in the CWC Semi-final and yes the Bayern fans were superb, I was also there for Euro 88 and watched the Germans and Dutch beat the hell out of each other and witnessed the Germans attacking the English fans in Dusseldorf.
The worst violence and behaviour I've ever seen was Spurs v Chelsea a few years back, went as a guest sat near the Chelsea end and the abuse and objects being thrown from the Spurs fans was unbelievable, never experienced an atmosphere like it.
For all the good and bad, I genuinely cannot in my heart of hearts hope any foreign team beats an English team,
My ideal scenario, apart from Everton, was the 2008 CL Final, English winner guaranteed and I didn't care who won so long as it was a good game for the nuetral.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Man Utd fans are amongst those who have chucked the bottles so it changes nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Every club has idiots that will throw bottles/bricks or hurl racist abuse etc. Including Chelsea. But you still want Chelsea to win when they are playing. So you are prepared to accept that sort of behaviour from your own fans but not from other fans?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Every club has idiots that will throw bottles/bricks or hurl racist abuse etc. Including Chelsea. But you still want Chelsea to win when they are playing. So you are prepared to accept that sort of behaviour from your own fans but not from other fans?

I don't find that sort of behaviour acceptable from any fans, particularly Chelsea fans. I specifically avoided mentioning any particular club in my post to avoid the usual accusations about singly out certain clubs. The one exception to singling out particular clubs was Chelsea, when I referred to "the cretinous element amongst the Chelsea fans". That should be fairly obvious to anyone except for the hard of thinking that this was an acknowledgement that we have an unacceptable element. But not apparently to you.

Paul's post revolved around why fans don't support other English clubs in Europe. I gave him an explanation of why I don't support other English clubs in Europe. You've tried to twist that into a slagging of fans of other English clubs whilst accepting the same sort of behaviour from fans of my own club, which it wasn't and never will be. I made the mistake of thinking you were asking a serious question rather than trying to stitch me up. I won't be making it again. Goodnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.