And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

The Leeds win was before I was born. Think the highlight since I've been supporting them was the Vauxhall Conference and FA Trophy double in 1992. Other highlights include seeing Wimbledon on their rise up through the leagues and beating them at Layer Road with Dave Beasant coming up for a corner in the final minute and hitting the crossbar with a header that would have been the equaliser.
Only reason I know about Leeds is that you played Everton at Goodison in the next round.

D

Deleted member 16999

The thing is Paul, Liverpool fans had seen first hand Roy's "work". It wasnt a case of not giving him a chance, more a case of predicting that he would be Rubbish for England at the top level. There is a difference.
So you agree LPool fans didn't give him a chance simply based on the fact he failed at LPool.

D

Deleted member 16999

What advice do you give to someone who is born and raised in England, but whose parents are both Irish? What guidelines can you give.....
Whatever team or teams you follow, never ever hope they lose just to prove your point.

D

Deleted member 16999

There is also a difference between not feeling much of an affinity, and wanting them to lose. Again different things.
Yes, but there are those that rather stay ambivolent and say nothing actually enjoy them losing, sorry, will never understand that.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fair point, how about the ones who live closer to Wembley than Anfield, old trafford etc?

They may have a different mentality, as football fans arent one size fits all. Examples:-

Lots of Liverpool born reds still want to beat the blues more than Man U. 95% of overseas reds would want it the other way round, as more likely to be in contact on a daily basis with Man U fans.

Southern based Liverpool/United fans may make a priority to attending at Anfield/OT, when tickets become available, even though a trip to the NW may cost them a lot more. When they feel like, they may go and watch England, have an affinity with both, and be equally as passionate about both.

I know tonnes of Liverpool season ticket holders past and present, and not many have followed England or are bothered about them, although, like myself, have seen England on a few occasions.

For clarity, I had a few bob in the summer of 1996, and had access to tickets for England at Wembley and travelled down to 3 of the games, enjoyed it, sang the national anthem and went mental when we scored. I have also seen them at Anfield 2-3 times and also supported them.

Affinity wise - its Liverpool 1st, second and last.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you agree LPool fans didn't give him a chance simply based on the fact he failed at LPool.

No, but a lot of it was in reaction to loads of experts saying that Liverpool fans hadnt given him a chance at Anfield, so a lot of reaction by reds was naturally to say........ok, lets see how England fans react to his "football philosophy" - they were worst than Liverpool fans.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is this not the same for Twickenham or is that somehow diferent to Wembley?

Yep, equally as bad.

I can slightly live with the fact that the south is in more of a union hotbed, whereas the north is mainly a league stronghold. I dont know if union can be played at most northern football grounds or not, due to the size of the pitch. Football is the national sport.

D

Deleted member 16999

They may have a different mentality, as football fans arent one size fits all. Examples:-

Lots of Liverpool born reds still want to beat the blues more than Man U. 95% of overseas reds would want it the other way round, as more likely to be in contact on a daily basis than Man U fans.

Southern based Liverpool/United fans may make a priority to attending at Anfield/OT, when tickets become available, even though a trip to the NW may cost them a lot more. When they feel like, they may go and watch England, have an affinity with both, end be equally as passionate about both.

I know tonnes of Liverpool season ticket holders past and present, and not many have followed England or are bothered about them, although, like myself, have seen England on a few occasions.

For clarity, I had a few bob in the summer of 1996, and had access to tickets for England at Wembley and travelled down to 3 of the games, enjoyed it, sang the national anthem and went mental when we scored. I have also seen them at Anfield 2-3 times and also supported them.

Affinity wise - its Liverpool 1st, second and last.
I know you are answering Papas, but I don't get this Club, 1st, 2nd and last, you've put you've seen England play but still no affinity, you don't have to choose 1 or the other.
A lot of reds had no problem supporting Spain or Uruguay rather than England when Torres and Suarez played for yous, I don't get it.

D

Deleted member 16999

That doesnt answer the question raised in any way, shape or form.
Yes it does, the mam and dad might have no interest in Football or love it and let the lad choose for himself, every situation would be different, there isn't one answer to the question.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know you are answering Papas, but I don't get this Club, 1st, 2nd and last, you've put you've seen England play but still no affinity, you don't have to choose 1 or the other.
A lot of reds had no problem supporting Spain or Uruguay rather than England when Torres and Suarez played for yous, I don't get it.

I have a massive passion for LFC, I have an "interest" in England. Thats it, just cos you cant get your head around it, doesnt make it right or wrong.

I supported Scotland as a young teenager, cos we had lots of Scottish players. I still like seeing all the British (and ROI) teams do well, and can cheer when they score.

I'm sure that some England fans would say that I should sing anti-IRA songs, to show my "passion" for England. One of the big turn-offs for me is England's support - do you find England's support as something to be proud of? I find them embarassing.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have a massive passion for LFC, I have an "interest" in England. Thats it, just cos you cant get your head around it, doesnt make it right or wrong.

I supported Scotland as a young teenager, cos we had lots of Scottish players. I still like seeing all the British (and ROI) teams do well, and can cheer when they score.

I'm sure that some England fans would say that I should sing anti-IRA songs, to show my "passion" for England. One of the big turn-offs for me is England's support - do you find England's support as something to be proud of? I find them embarassing.
Whether it's Club or Country you get the d1ckheads, you can't judge all fans on a minority.
Same question could be asked to me you and Man Utd fans when the minority sing about Munich or Heysel.
And yes I am proud of 99% of England fans and disgusted with the 1%.

I've never said it was right or wrong, but don't understand it as nobody has ever explained it in a way that would make me understand it.

I've also never seen you post any comments about wanting England to fail.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whether it's Club or Country you get the d1ckheads, you can't judge all fans on a minority.
Same question could be asked to me you and Man Utd fans when the minority sing about Munich or Heysel.
And yes I am proud of 99% of England fans and disgusted with the 1%.

I've never said it was right or wrong, but don't understand it as nobody has ever explained it in a way that would make me understand it.

I've also never seen you post any comments about wanting England to fail.

Come on Paul, its not 1% of England fans. Its a massive minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.