And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

Roy wasn't as bad after 2 games, Roy was the manager, Southgate has 4 games, on those 2 performances, he aint getting the job, worst interview ever!

I do believe Southgate right now is unbeaten in two games in qualifying - the marker you used to judge Hodgson was how well they did in qualifying regardless of performance ? Why the change ?

D

Deleted member 16999

I do believe Southgate right now is unbeaten in two games in qualifying - the marker you used to judge Hodgson was how well they did in qualifying regardless of performance ? Why the change ?

Roy was 100%, is Southgate, you didn't see the game, have you read the reports?

D

Deleted member 15344

Roy was 100%, is Southgate, you didn't see the game, have you read the reports?

England wasn't 100% qualifying for the World Cup in 2014 which was Hodgson first full qualifying campaign - the team had three draws so did you bring out the same level of criticism towards Hodgson ( drew the second game against Ukraine at Wemberlee )

The results was very much the emphasis as a defence when people criticised the style of play employed by Hodgson ( even more so when he had up to 4 years to change ) despite the results

So why the change from yourself ?

And LB has it spot on in regards country and club focus - why should a club focus towards the national side ? And national pride ?! In a bunch of multimillionaire footballs !!

D

Deleted member 1740

So Roy was all to blame and now it's the players, the same players Roy was slated about.

Like for like substitutions that made no impact, who made them decisions? Not the players.

We beat Malta, let's change a winning team!

As said Southgate could've had this job sown up if he'd of gone for it.

Any of us could pick a team to batter Malta and win last night.

No Roy wasn't solely to blame like I'd said on many many occasions that players had to take responsibility.

Let Roy go, he had plenty of time to deliver and he failed when it mattered even though expectations were so low.

Substitutions have an element of luck to them at times, but yes Southgate has to take responsibility for those not working.

I think you're being a bit ott re any one of us picking a side to beat Slovenia and batter Malta.

D

Deleted member 1740

You and Stu were slating him and claiming he should never of got the job, that's before one day.

Did you watch last night?

Whilst everybody else was waxing lyrical over the great man.

Did he prove us wrong?

D

Deleted member 16999

England wasn't 100% qualifying for the World Cup in 2014 which was Hodgson first full qualifying campaign - the team had three draws so did you bring out the same level of criticism towards Hodgson ( drew the second game against Ukraine at Wemberlee )

The results was very much the emphasis as a defence when people criticised the style of play employed by Hodgson ( even more so when he had up to 4 years to change ) despite the results

So why the change from yourself ?

And LB has it spot on in regards country and club focus - why should a club focus towards the national side ? And national pride ?! In a bunch of multimillionaire footballs !!
What part of Roy was the manager and Southgate isn't don't you get?
Whoever they appoint on a permanent basis I will give a chance, you never gave Roy a chance from day 1, you've seen nothing of Southgates matches and you want to give him a chance, really don't think you're in a position to discuss Southgate when you didn't see the shocking dismal displays which in my opinion were far worse than any performance under Roy.
I've never once stated Clubs should focus on Country over Club, I'd rather watch a quality foreigner like Coutinho over a bog standard Englishman any day, I find it disgraceful that any person would not support their national side, I also don't agree that it's the foreigners fault that England are rubbish, surely our best, ie Henderson, Sturridge are beneffiting playing along side the brazilians.

D

Deleted member 16999

No Roy wasn't solely to blame like I'd said on many many occasions that players had to take responsibility.

Let Roy go, he had plenty of time to deliver and he failed when it mattered even though expectations were so low.

Substitutions have an element of luck to them at times, but yes Southgate has to take responsibility for those not working.

I think you're being a bit ott re any one of us picking a side to beat Slovenia and batter Malta.
The only reason Roy was mentioned was because it was you who never gave him a chance and the Euros proved you were correct, that's hindsight though, even when he qualified with a 100% record you gave no credit citing the standard of opposition.
As for Malta comment, 179th in the World, of course anyone on here could've picked a better team.

D

Deleted member 15344

What part of Roy was the manager and Southgate isn't don't you get?

Is Southgate not the manager right now then ? So Southgate doesn't get the same treatment because is caretaker then ?

Whoever they appoint on a permanent basis I will give a chance, you never gave Roy a chance from day 1, you've seen nothing of Southgates matches and you want to give him a chance, really don't think you're in a position to discuss Southgate when you didn't see the shocking dismal displays which in my opinion were far worse than any performance under Roy.

I havent said anything about Southgate as a manager ? I just commented on how after two games you are slating the manager despite them not losing and wanted to know why you don't afford him the same luxury you gave the previous manager. I haven't said anything about the two previous performances because I didn't see them. Under Hodgson the results where the important thing - why the change now to focus on the performances ? When people mentioned some of the poor performances under Hodgson despite him being in charge for years you seem to allow that because of the result - you told everyone to get behind the England manager because it's the England manager - yet you don't seem to be doing the same with the current one ?

I've never once stated Clubs should focus on Country over Club, I'd rather watch a quality foreigner like Coutinho over a bog standard Englishman any day, I find it disgraceful that any person would not support their national side, I also don't agree that it's the foreigners fault that England are rubbish, surely our best, ie Henderson, Sturridge are beneffiting playing along side the brazilians.

Why should someone support the national team ? Why is it "disgraceful" not to support them ? It's just a football team at the end of the day - I think it's more disgraceful that people judge people's national pride based on supporting a national team !!

D

Deleted member 16999

Is Southgate not the manager right now then ? So Southgate doesn't get the same treatment because is caretaker then ?

I havent said anything about Southgate as a manager ? I just commented on how after two games you are slating the manager despite them not losing and wanted to know why you don't afford him the same luxury you gave the previous manager. I haven't said anything about the two previous performances because I didn't see them. Under Hodgson the results where the important thing - why the change now to focus on the performances ? When people mentioned some of the poor performances under Hodgson despite him being in charge for years you seem to allow that because of the result - you told everyone to get behind the England manager because it's the England manager - yet you don't seem to be doing the same with the current one ?

Why should someone support the national team ? Why is it "disgraceful" not to support them ? It's just a football team at the end of the day - I think it's more disgraceful that people judge people's national pride based on supporting a national team !!
Southgate is stop gap and someone who has gone on record saying he's not ready for the job, so if he's lied he has the best opportunity in the world.

I'm judging him on 2 games of shocking football, like I said, worse imo than any performance in the last 5-10 years not just under Roy.

Whether it's Football, Rugby Hockey or any sport that England are involved in I believe that any English person should get behind that Team or individual and want them to succeed, anything else is disgraceful and those publicly stating they'd want people wearing their National colours to fail are despicable in my book.

D

Deleted member 15344

Southgate is stop gap and someone who has gone on record saying he's not ready for the job, so if he's lied he has the best opportunity in the world.

I'm judging him on 2 games of shocking football, like I said, worse imo than any performance in the last 5-10 years not just under Roy.

Whether it's Football, Rugby Hockey or any sport that England are involved in I believe that any English person should get behind that Team or individual and want them to succeed, anything else is disgraceful and those publicly stating they'd want people wearing their National colours to fail are despicable in my book.

You're confusing me here - you believe any English person should get behind the team or individual and if they don't they are disgraceful ?! Yet your slating Southgate ?

It's just a sportsteam for goodness sake - no ones national pride should ever be determined by support of a sportsteam - and if someone does then they need to take a good hard look at themselves. It's beyond pathetic to make judgements about people's patriotism based on a football team.

And the game last night must have been bad to beat the game against Iceland which England lost.

D

Deleted member 16999

You're confusing me here - you believe any English person should get behind the team or individual and if they don't they are disgraceful ?! Yet your slating Southgate ?

It's just a sportsteam for goodness sake - no ones national pride should ever be determined by support of a sportsteam - and if someone does then they need to take a good hard look at themselves. It's beyond pathetic to make judgements about people's patriotism based on a football team.

And the game last night must have been bad to beat the game against Iceland which England lost.
You're the one comfusing National Pride and patrioism with supporting a national sportsman, not me, you follow sport, I follow sport and therefore I would like every English sportsman and woman to suceed when representing England,
Last night those representing England on the football pitch that I watched and supported and hoped they'd do well, imo failed miserably, and the responsibility for that imo is Southgate.
So if someone has no interest in sport, by your explanation I am saying they are unpatriotic and a disgrace........err no, we are on a football thread, I thought you'd understand.

D

Deleted member 18588

Doesn't happen very often but I have to agree with Liverpoolphil on this one.

I am very proud to be English but I certainly see no reason why, as a result of that pride, I should be obliged to offer unqualified support to a sports team.

For instance I have no interest in the sport of Hockey (Sorry Phil!) and very little in Rugby Union or League and whilst I wish those teams no ill equally I am unable to support them

Nationality does not equate to affinity with a team.

D

Deleted member 16999

Doesn't happen very often but I have to agree with Liverpoolphil on this one.

I am very proud to be English but I certainly see no reason why, as a result of that pride, I should be obliged to offer unqualified support to a sports team.

For instance I have no interest in the sport of Hockey (Sorry Phil!) and very little in Rugby Union or League and whilst I wish those teams no ill equally I am unable to support them

Nationality does not equate to affinity with a team.

So by wishing them no ill, I would take that you don't want to see them fail.

I don't understand people who follow Football and are English wanting England to fail, will never get my head around that.

it's just my opinion but I would hope that Nationality WOULD equate to affinity with a team. why would you want your own nation to lose?

D

Deleted member 18588

So by wishing them no ill, I would take that you don't want to see them fail.

I don't understand people who follow Football and are English wanting England to fail, will never get my head around that.

it's just my opinion but I would hope that Nationality WOULD equate to affinity with a team. why would you want your own nation to lose?

Not a case of wishing that they lose.

Including the football team (but with the exception of the cricketers) it is basically a case of indifference.

If a team representing England at any sport in which I am interested plays in a way that I find attractive, note they do not have to be winning, Then for what it is worth I will support them.

Otherwise I could not give a stuff and that includes the football team for which we do not have the players to play in that attractive manner.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not a case of wishing that they lose.

Including the football team (but with the exception of the cricketers) it is basically a case of indifference.

If a team representing England at any sport in which I am interested plays in a way that I find attractive, note they do not have to be winning, Then for what it is worth I will support them.

Otherwise I could not give a stuff and that includes the football team for which we do not have the players to play in that attractive manner.

Maybe I'm too simplistic then, regardless of who or when England are playing I support them and hope they win, afterwards regardless of result, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Looking forward to the Scotland game if we play in the same manner as the last 2 we could be in for a very dificult evening, obviously I will be fully supporting them and hope to god they prove me wrong and put a decent performance in.

D

Deleted member 18588

Maybe I'm too simplistic then, regardless of who or when England are playing I support them and hope they win, afterwards regardless of result, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Looking forward to the Scotland game if we play in the same manner as the last 2 we could be in for a very dificult evening, obviously I will be fully supporting them and hope to god they prove me wrong and put a decent performance in.

As I say I have to be interested and, therefore, I cannot support or express an opinion on England's performance in certain sports such as Rugby as I do not understand these sports sufficiently to appreciate, or otherwise, the performance.

The Scotland game is one I may not bother with as it would seem that it will be a match up of two pretty poor sides playing equally poor football.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Id want England to win at "Underwater Bareback Scrabble" if they did such a thing. I ABSOLUTELY cannot agree with anyone who puts club before country!

Status
Not open for further replies.