And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think the overly large pay the English players get from being in the premiership,compared to other countries national leagues, leaves them thinking them are better than they actually are and them expecting other teams to just roll over.
Perhaps having the national team play premiership clubs instead of some meaningless friendlies might focus their attention and actually show them how much they need to work to win.

Nice idea but there is no way in a million years that premiership clubs will want their players doing this. Plus the friendlies normally take place on international breaks so most premiership teams will have very few players left who are not on friendly duty for various countries.

D

Deleted member 16999

How can you judge after two games?
Because you and Phil educated me, Roy had us playing a system that at least got us through the group stages and when he got good solid wins was given no credit because of the standard of the opposition, Sam, we'll never know.
Southgate is given 4 games, 3 qualifiers (2 against the easiest teams in the group) and a friendly, the performance on saturday and last night were worse than any game in the last 4-5 years.
All these excuses about thinking were better than we are or it's because of the amount of foreign players in the PL are a smokescreen, how many individual errors or incomplete passes did we see last night, that's down to the manager and how he's set them up.
How has Coleman or Ranieri or Klopp even got 80-90% of the players they inherited looking like different players,
Southgate said he'd had them for 10 days and they'd worked hard, come on mate, if that's the performance after 10 days of hard work they need a shoeing.

D

Deleted member 1740

Because you and Phil educated me,
haha I don't believe that. I'm just curious how you can because you shouted me down when I said there last performance under Big Sam was no better than what Hodgson served up.

Roy had us playing a system that at least got us through the group stages and when he got good solid wins was given no credit because of the standard of the opposition, Sam, we'll never know.
roy was given plenty of credit, let's be honest after Brazil he should've been out in his ear
Southgate is given 4 games, 3 qualifiers (2 against the easiest teams in the group) and a friendly, the performance on saturday and last night were worse than any game in the last 4-5 years.
All these excuses about thinking were better than we are or it's because of the amount of foreign players in the PL are a smokescreen, how many individual errors or incomplete passes did we see last night, that's down to the manager and how he's set them up.
How has Coleman or Ranieri or Klopp even got 80-90% of the players they inherited looking like different players,
Southgate said he'd had them for 10 days and they'd worked hard, come on mate, if that's the performance after 10 days of hard work they need a shoeing.

Southgate has had 10days with them, I don't know what you expect him to do, he's not a miracle worker.

I only seen the 2nd half and it was poor but the players again need to take responsibility. His substitutions were like for like and never really made an impact.

Anyway I'm off the pool bar for a beer and a swim :cheers:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is not unreasonable to look for a pattern of play, a new style, a player who is different to the norm who may change what has happened before. I saw the last 20mins last night, read the comments on here and on the BBC sport site, and saw that nothing had changed, personnel style of play etc. Same old same old.

If you have 4 matches as an audition you have to stand out. More of the same, when the same has not been very good, will not cut it. Better to go out fighting than with a whimper.

D

Deleted member 16999

Southgate has had 10days with them, I don't know what you expect him to do, he's not a miracle worker.

I only seen the 2nd half and it was poor but the players again need to take responsibility. His substitutions were like for like and never really made an impact.

Anyway I'm off the pool bar for a beer and a swim :cheers:

So Roy was all to blame and now it's the players, the same players Roy was slated about.

Like for like substitutions that made no impact, who made them decisions? Not the players.

We beat Malta, let's change a winning team!

As said Southgate could've had this job sown up if he'd of gone for it.

Any of us could pick a team to batter Malta and win last night.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't think they're bad footballers, just being asked to play the wrong way or not listening to the manager or the manager is clueless.
Did you hear what Giggs was saying about Sturridge and what a brilliant footballer he is and then showed the dross he did tonight, why when they get on the pitch for England does they lose all that?
They showed 3 or 4 decisions that Sturridge messed up, why? does he not trust his team mates or wants the glory or, as you say, he's not as good as he thinks, but with due respect to yourself, I think Giggs is in a better position to judge him

Dangerous to place too much store in the comments of the pundits, I mean do you take Ian Wright seriously?

The ex-pros vary rarely tell it like it is, the broadcasters do not want them to as it would denigrate the product they are trying to sell to us. There are exceptions e.g. Chris Waddle & Chris Sutton and there are good analysts like Carragher and Neville but in the main when commenting on players they will tend towards bland sycophancy.

With regard to Sturridge my opinion of him is the same whether in an England or Liverpool shirt. Decent but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So Roy was all to blame and now it's the players, the same players Roy was slated about.

Like for like substitutions that made no impact, who made them decisions? Not the players.

Who would you have picked to BATTER Malta and win last night?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Batter teams or not, the style of football we play as a national team is just plain terrible....bereft of ideas, direction or pace.
Our current premiership champions played with pace. Liverpool play (normally) with pace, Utd in the pomp played with pace....even Arsenal (when not trying to pass the ball into the net;) ) play with pace. So if these teams can and do play with pace, as do most of the premiership teams now, why when the national team go out to play do they play so pedestrian and negatively?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hodgson had years in the job and didn't learn - he wasn't slated after two games , he was slated after being shocking at the World Cup and failing to get out of the group , he then didn't learn from that and was just as shocking in the Euros - he was blamed for those poor performances.

All over social media Southgate is being slated after ten days and two games - just shows the problem with modern day football now

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hodgson had years in the job and didn't learn - he wasn't slated after two games , he was slated after being shocking at the World Cup and failing to get out of the group , he then didn't learn from that and was just as shocking in the Euros - he was blamed for those poor performances.

All over social media Southgate is being slated after ten days and two games - just shows the problem with modern day football now

Hodgson was putting together a young squad having dumped the dead wood from the WC and the speed and movement contributed to an unbeaten qualification for the Euro's.

There was a failure from both the players and Hodgson in France and both had to shoulder the blame for not playing in the same manner they had done in the preceding 18 months on the whole.

Southgate inherited the same group of players who had been capable of making runs and playing with speed but in the two games in charge had introduced a familiar air of caution with players scared or unwilling to take a chance on the ball or play with freedom. For that alone the blame levelled at Southgate is in my opinion justified, and I don't buy his "I inherited a mess" quote. No you didn't. You've inherited the same players and made them scared to play

Hodgson made mistakes and arguably wasn't good enough in the finals of two competitions but he had at least sowed the seed of youth getting a chance and being given their head. Now we are back to the safety first days of Sven, Fabio and McClaren

D

Deleted member 16999

Who would you have picked to BATTER Malta and win last night?

Any of the 11 in the squad, it's a confidence and belief thing to me, Southgate said the squad was battered and bruised and a bit down after recent events! WHAT, ridiculous, he should've blown smoke up there ar5e and told them to go all out and have fun, Malta are part timers and yes i sincerely believe that sometimes there are some easy games at that level.

D

Deleted member 16999

You and Stu were slating him and claiming he should never of got the job, that's before one day.

Did you watch last night?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree , we don't have a larger enough pool of players and the standard is not where it should be.

The FA needs to make sure that a higher percentage of English players play in the EPL for starters. The league ought to be flooded with young promising English players , this would aid development and drive competition for places.

It's going to take years to change but without it I don't see us getting significantly better.

Wenger or A. Nother would need 10 years and total control from grass roots to the top to have any real impact.

Again, there is always this premise that that is what everyone wants (I.E. a string English side, rather than a strong premiership). Not all footy fans want to engineer everything to suit England FC. If as a by-product England are also successful, great. However, lots of fans, like me are more worried about my club side than anything else, so don't presume that we all want everything to change in football to work towards this end. I know some wont like that, but that is the truth.

I'm sorry, but currently I'd rather watch Coutinho in a Liverpool shirt than some bog standard Englishman.

Even when England had loads of great players (the 70's and 80's) we were still a rubbish international side, so more Englishmen in the top league doesn't necessarily mean a more successful England team.:thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

You and Stu were slating him and claiming he should never of got the job, that's before one day.

Did you watch last night?

I don't believe Hodgson should have got the job but I don't believe I saw people giving him "blame" two games into his reign - Hodgson was giving blame and slated after the summer finals
No I didn't watch last night

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Southgate led Middlesbrough to a magnificent relegation, managing them from '06, after McClaren left, to '09 and the relegation season.

Since then he's done...........................................................................................................................

There's better English managers in the Prem, irrespective of what he achieves in the next few games with England.

D

Deleted member 15344

Southgate led Middlesbrough to a magnificent relegation, managing them from '06, after McClaren left, to '09 and the relegation season.

Since then he's done...........................................................................................................................

There's better English managers in the Prem, irrespective of what he achieves in the next few games with England.

Won the Toulon U21 Comp ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Again, there is always this premise that that is what everyone wants (I.E. a string English side, rather than a strong premiership). Not all footy fans want to engineer everything to suit England FC. If as a by-product England are also successful, great. However, lots of fans, like me are more worried about my club side than anything else, so don't presume that we all want everything to change in football to work towards this end. I know some wont like that, but that is the truth.

I'm sorry, but currently I'd rather watch Coutinho in a Liverpool shirt than some bog standard Englishman.

Even when England had loads of great players (the 70's and 80's) we were still a rubbish international side, so more Englishmen in the top league doesn't necessarily mean a more successful England team.:thup:

So no national pride when they play, very sad in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't believe Hodgson should have got the job but I don't believe I saw people giving him "blame" two games into his reign - Hodgson was giving blame and slated after the summer finals
No I didn't watch last night
Roy wasn't as bad after 2 games, Roy was the manager, Southgate has 4 games, on those 2 performances, he aint getting the job, worst interview ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.