And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

BOOM ...................... I'm right there with you Chris.
It absolutely baffles me.

Paul Scholes must have disappointed you then

So why should a fan put country before club ?

Millions of fans all over the country pay money every single week to watch their team , to fund the wages of the players , to help out their team in anyway - they grow a connection to the club and the club connect with the local community , they travel from top to bottom of the country supporting their club - so why should a fan put the national team before that ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Millions of fans all over the country pay money every single week to watch their team , to fund the wages of the players , to help out their team in anyway - they grow a connection to the club and the club connect with the local community , they travel from top to bottom of the country supporting their club - so why should a fan put the national team before that ?

National pride. Simple as that. I want my country to do well in every sport and I'll always support England regardless. I followed my team home and away for years watching them in the lower leagues with no chance of glory. Paid my money week in week out, usually to be disappointed but would still go to Wembley to see England play or watch it on the TV

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Footballers always tell us (whether they mean it may be different) that intl caps are the pinnacle. So if its most important to them, imo it should be to fans. I respect anyone who chooses differently. But maybe supporting a smaller club made me feel like england were always more likely to provide trophies than Saints so i had that hope. Also, now that players do seem picked more on form than club name, i'd like to think support could go hand in hand, If a player is doing well for england, they should be doing well for their club. So it could be win win.

Any talk of not caring about footballers as they're over paid etc etc kinda smacks of hypocrisy to me when we were all routing for europe last week in a sport where the players are paid just as handsomely.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why does there have to be an order? Why can't club and country go hand in hand?
Recognition of form is to be selected by your country, it's not a slight on the player and clubs are more than happy to play the international card when trying to sell them.
Totally understand a footballer retiring from international football to extend his club career, that again shouldn't be took as a slight but common sense.
Never ever ever heard of a an uncapped footballer saying no to his country.

D

Deleted member 18588

Footballers always tell us (whether they mean it may be different) that intl caps are the pinnacle. So if its most important to them, imo it should be to fans. I respect anyone who chooses differently. But maybe supporting a smaller club made me feel like england were always more likely to provide trophies than Saints so i had that hope. Also, now that players do seem picked more on form than club name, i'd like to think support could go hand in hand, If a player is doing well for england, they should be doing well for their club. So it could be win win.

Any talk of not caring about footballers as they're over paid etc etc kinda smacks of hypocrisy to me when we were all routing for europe last week in a sport where the players are paid just as handsomely.

That can't be it because as a Birmingham supporter I have certainly learned not to expect success.

Perhaps my disconnect is partially due to being able to see my club team whereas for anyone outside the M25 attending England games requires expensive travel and often an overnight stay.

As for all of us rooting for Europe I have to say that my support was perhaps less partisan. More interested in the golf than the result.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That can't be it because as a Birmingham supporter I have certainly learned not to expect success.

Perhaps my disconnect is partially due to being able to see my club team whereas for anyone outside the M25 attending England games requires expensive travel and often an overnight stay.

As for all of us rooting for Europe I have to say that my support was perhaps less partisan. More interested in the golf than the result.

Supporting england in any event costs money tbf unless you live where they are participating. And plenty of fans of all clubs but especially to the big clubs who don't get to see their club but class themselves as fans. Not saying that they aren't. Just that getting to the venue certinalynisnt IMO a reason to not support. You can support club or ountry as compatibly as each other form your armchair.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So no national pride when they play, very sad in my opinion.

There are lots of sociological and historical reasons why England arent my passion, and covered lots of times before.

I like to see them do well, but doesnt "hurt" when they dont. Im quite passionate about the Rugby and Cricket teams though.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tough times! But you wouldn't have missed them would you

Beating Leeds in the FA Cup

The Leeds win was before I was born. Think the highlight since I've been supporting them was the Vauxhall Conference and FA Trophy double in 1992. Other highlights include seeing Wimbledon on their rise up through the leagues and beating them at Layer Road with Dave Beasant coming up for a corner in the final minute and hitting the crossbar with a header that would have been the equaliser.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only reason Roy was mentioned was because it was you who never gave him a chance and the Euros proved you were correct, that's hindsight though, even when he qualified with a 100% record you gave no credit citing the standard of opposition.
As for Malta comment, 179th in the World, of course anyone on here could've picked a better team.

The thing is Paul, Liverpool fans had seen first hand Roy's "work". It wasnt a case of not giving him a chance, more a case of predicting that he would be Rubbish for England at the top level. There is a difference.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whether it's Football, Rugby Hockey or any sport that England are involved in I believe that any English person should get behind that Team or individual and want them to succeed, anything else is disgraceful and those publicly stating they'd want people wearing their National colours to fail are despicable in my book.

What advice do you give to someone who is born and raised in England, but whose parents are both Irish? What guidelines can you give.....

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So by wishing them no ill, I would take that you don't want to see them fail.

I don't understand people who follow Football and are English wanting England to fail, will never get my head around that.

it's just my opinion but I would hope that Nationality WOULD equate to affinity with a team. why would you want your own nation to lose?

There is also a difference between not feeling much of an affinity, and wanting them to lose. Again different things.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
National pride. Simple as that. I want my country to do well in every sport and I'll always support England regardless. I followed my team home and away for years watching them in the lower leagues with no chance of glory. Paid my money week in week out, usually to be disappointed but would still go to Wembley to see England play or watch it on the TV

Yes, but England play 10 miles away......all the time.

What I cant believe is southerners who dictate to northerners, how they should feel.

Dont you even try to put yourself in the mind of some northern fans, and think why they would feel no affinity. Go on, give it a try.

D

Deleted member 16999

There are lots of sociological and historical reasons why England arent my passion, and covered lots of times before.

I like to see them do well, but doesnt "hurt" when they dont. Im quite passionate about the Rugby and Cricket teams though.
Unfortunately there are thoughs who wish to see England fail #SNE

Status
Not open for further replies.