And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

I gave you one, does it matter if 1,2 or none of the parents are football fans.

He is either a disgrace, or not..
If he's been brought up with Irish traditions, culture, follow Dundalk then he may feel more Irish than English and follow Ireland, no issue.
Or all his mates are mad England fans and he supports England.
He may also have 2 passports.

D

Deleted member 16999

Come on Paul, its not 1% of England fans. Its a massive minority.

:rofl: how many is a massive minority,
Interview with coppers who were at the Euros in France said at times there were over 60,000 English fans over there and about 200 hundred English troublemakers, a lot less than 1%.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If he's been brought up with Irish traditions, culture, follow Dundalk then he may feel more Irish than English and follow Ireland, no issue.
Or all his mates are mad England fans and he supports England.
He may also have 2 passports.

Actually he hates football, and loves rugby.:rofl::ears:

Shall I throw him back in......:D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:rofl: how many is a massive minority,
Interview with coppers who were at the Euros in France said at times there were over 60,000 English fans over there and about 200 hundred English troublemakers, a lot less than 1%.

Behave, only 200 troublemakers.

What about 20 odd years ago, the troublecausers would have been in their thousands.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes, but England play 10 miles away......all the time.

What I cant believe is southerners who dictate to northerners, how they should feel.

Dont you even try to put yourself in the mind of some northern fans, and think why they would feel no affinity. Go on, give it a try.

Oi, don't you start on southerners, I'm with you on this one you northern git……… :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
20 years ago they were in there thousands at some clubs.

Too right, that has changed a lot at club level in England due to police intelligence, banning orders, CCTV and other reasons.

Its taken a long time for foreign forces to catch up, and I still think there are a few thousand following England for trouble still. Anyway I'm not just on about hooligans, even non-hooligan England fans are embarassing.

D

Deleted member 16999

IMG_3740.jpg
Too right, that has changed a lot at club level in England due to police intelligence, banning orders, CCTV and other reasons.

Its taken a long time for foreign forces to catch up, and I still think there are a few thousand following England for trouble still. Anyway I'm not just on about hooligans, even non-hooligan England fans are embarassing.
:whistle: Every club has them

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been to see Northern Ireland once. We lost 1-0 at home to Armenia.

Shut up and be thankful you're English*.

*no one should ever be thankful they're English :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I know you are answering Papas, but I don't get this Club, 1st, 2nd and last, you've put you've seen England play but still no affinity, you don't have to choose 1 or the other.
A lot of reds had no problem supporting Spain or Uruguay rather than England when Torres and Suarez played for yous, I don't get it.

Why are you so desperate for people to support the England football team

I have see you mention a number of times about people wanting them to lose - but I don't recall anyone suggesting that on here ?

Just because someone supports their club and not the country doesn't automatically mean they want England football team to lose

I don't have a rugby team to follow - I just enjoy watching all the games and go to various matches around in this area but I support the England Rugby Team and have seen them loads of times , same with hockey. In cricket I support both Somerset and England. In football I'm a Liverpool fan - that's it , I enjoy watching international summer tournaments but beyond that don't watch qualifies on the whole - I'm totally indifferent towards the national team , I don't support them nor do I wish them to lose. There is nothing wrong with that and no judgements should be made towards people's national pride etc etc as we have seen. And when Suarez or Torres played for their country I didn't support that country I supported the player wanting him to do well

If you want to support England over Everton then away you go - no one will judge you on that so the respect should be held both ways

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have see you mention a number of times about people wanting them to lose - but I don't recall anyone suggesting that on here ?

Just because someone supports their club and not the country doesn't automatically mean they want England football team to lose

I don't have a rugby team to follow - I just enjoy watching all the games and go to various matches around in this area but I support the England Rugby Team and have seen them loads of times , same with hockey. In cricket I support both Somerset and England. In football I'm a Liverpool fan - that's it , I enjoy watching international summer tournaments but beyond that don't watch qualifies on the whole - I'm totally indifferent towards the national team , I don't support them nor do I wish them to lose. There is nothing wrong with that and no judgements should be made towards people's national pride etc etc as we have seen. And when Suarez or Torres played for their country I didn't support that country I supported the player wanting him to do well

If you want to support England over Everton then away you go - no one will judge you on that so the respect should be held both ways

I think you're missing the point some have made. For many, it's not a case of supporting club over country and the fact that they actually go hand in hand. I support my club as passionately as I've ever done but I still want England to do well in every game they play.

Like you I don't support a rugby team but will want England to do well. I'm a Surrey cricket supporter and again want them to win every competition and then feel exactly the same way when England play. It's not a case of wanting one over the other or even wanting my club players to play/not play for their country to boost their own and the clubs own interests.

For someone with a self proclaimed apathy to the England football team, their performances and issues seem to cause you an awful lot of concerns on here!

D

Deleted member 16999

Who said it's one or the other? Please read what is posted, stated a few times, they can hand in hand it's not a competition, for someone who doesn't want them to lose you certainly wanted them to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Who said it's one or the other? Please read what is posted, stated a few times, they can hand in hand it's not a competition, for someone who doesn't want them to lose you certainly wanted them to fail.

Sorry but not once said I wanted England to fail - so would suggest you stop making that assumption.

Yet you have certainly made enough judgements towards people who don't support the England football team - believe the words disgraceful has been used by you , others have talked about national pride , others have made remarks about people who put their club first - how about respect people's right to support who they wish without the need to judge.

You say I don't have to chose one or the other but then that's not up to you to decide - if someone decides not to support the England football team and instead just supports their club - there is nothing wrong with that and people should respect that's persons wishes.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

I think you're missing the point some have made. For many, it's not a case of supporting club over country and the fact that they actually go hand in hand. I support my club as passionately as I've ever done but I still want England to do well in every game they play.

Like you I don't support a rugby team but will want England to do well. I'm a Surrey cricket supporter and again want them to win every competition and then feel exactly the same way when England play. It's not a case of wanting one over the other or even wanting my club players to play/not play for their country to boost their own and the clubs own interests.

For someone with a self proclaimed apathy to the England football team, their performances and issues seem to cause you an awful lot of concerns on here!

Sorry but not once said I wanted England to fail - so would suggest you stop making that assumption.

Yet you have certainly made enough judgements towards people who don't support the England football team - believe the words disgraceful has been used by you , others have talked about national pride , others have made remarks about people who put their club first - how about respect people's right to support who they wish without the need to judge.

You say I don't have to chose one or the other but then that's not up to you to decide - if someone decides not to support the England football team and instead just supports their club - there is nothing wrong with that and people should respect that's persons wishes.

Guys, Change the record, we have had this argument so many times before.

there is no law that says that if you are English then you HAVE to support the England Footy Team,
However it is also fair to say that those who do NOT support the national team, yet regularly pass comment on them are just making a rod for their own backs.

Just sayin

D

Deleted member 15344

Guys, Change the record, we have had this argument so many times before.

there is no law that says that if you are English then you HAVE to support the England Footy Team,
However it is also fair to say that those who do NOT support the national team, yet regularly pass comment on them are just making a rod for their own backs.

Just sayin

Is that not the same as

Chelsea fans who comment on Liverpool
Man Utd fans who comment on Liverpool
Liverpool fans who comment on Arsenal
Fulham fans who comment on Liverpool , Arsenal , Man Utd , Chelsea , Spurs , Leicester ,
Everton fans who comment on just about everyone.

Just because someone doesn't support a team doesn't mean they can't comment on a team - or can people only post about the team they support ? I only commented when Paul decided to bring me and Stu into it and then going on about national pride and being a disgrace etc etc etc

D

Deleted member 16999

Is that not the same as

Fulham fans who comment on Liverpool , Arsenal , Man Utd , Chelsea , Spurs , Leicester ,

Just because someone doesn't support a team doesn't mean they can't comment on a team - or can people only post about the team they support ? I only commented when Paul decided to bring me and Stu into it and then going on about national pride and being a disgrace etc etc etc
I'll respect fraggers wishes and make this my last post on the subject with you, for the whole of Roy's reign you never gave him a chance regardless of results, you claim your disinterested in England but yet comment on games when LPool players get MoM and conveniently don't comment when the same player has a shocker.
For someone to have such a knowledge of a vast range of sports it's only the England football team you are not bothered about, so why take the time to post about them or like you did over Roy, constantly draw the negatives out when they were winning.
I never asked you to comment over my thoughts in regards to Southgate, you joined in.
The first time I mentioned you was in answer to Stu and was complementing you both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is that not the same as

But by your own admission you don't watch the qualifiers yet feel you have all the info you need to make judgement ad nauseum.

If you don't want to support the national team, fine crack on. I wouldn't dream of watching England play hockey unless there's nothing better on the TV, but I'll cheer them on.

I agree with others that say there's no reason why a fan can't support both. And let's face it, when England are playing, Liverpool aren't. But the choice is yours. But if you want to be taken seriously in the discussion you need to debate from a position of strength. Posting "I didn't watch the game," and then expecting to be taken seriously. Lots of LOL on that one.

D

Deleted member 15344

But by your own admission you don't watch the qualifiers yet feel you have all the info you need to make judgement ad nauseum.

If you don't want to support the national team, fine crack on. I wouldn't dream of watching England play hockey unless there's nothing better on the TV, but I'll cheer them on.

I agree with others that say there's no reason why a fan can't support both. And let's face it, when England are playing, Liverpool aren't. But the choice is yours. But if you want to be taken seriously in the discussion you need to debate from a position of strength. Posting "I didn't watch the game," and then expecting to be taken seriously. Lots of LOL on that one.

But I haven't made any judgements on any of the recent England games nor made any judgement on Southgate or any of the players who played in either match ?

I didn't comment or make judgements on either match whilst they were going on or after about anything that went on because I didn't watch them to make a judgement.

What I made a comment on is when people start calling others a disgrace because they don't support the national team.

Status
Not open for further replies.