And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

Sorry Stu but you have nothing to back up that Pepe was forced out by the owners -

Right now I can't complain about the owners because I don't see what they are doing wrong - they are doing everything they said they would and have backed the managers

I'm not exactly sure what sort of owners you want

Owners who are in it for the long haul and not just a return on their investment.

You shot me down when I suggested that they'll be looking to sell in the near future, telling me about phase 2 of the big rebuild etc and how great they are.

Phase 2 wont happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Owners who are in it for the long haul and not just a return on their investment.

You shot me down when I suggested that they'll be looking to sell in the near future, telling me about phase 2 of the big rebuild etc and how great they are.

Phase 2 wont happen.

If they are looking to sell then why haven't they sold to the Chinese who are looking to buy for over £700mil ?

They have said they are not looking to sell ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mignolet was a cracking shot stopper at Sunderland. They way they defended gave him plenty of chance to show off those skills and he saved them many a point. I think his weaknesses at Liverpool is on crosses, something Sunderland dealt better with. Liverpool didn't do their homework on him well enough to see if he would suit their style of defending.

Keepers who play in struggling teams can always look great.

Brad Friedel was the same. When they have to save 10-15 shots a game and they save loads, and only let 1-2 in, they look worldies.

A difference between a Clemence or a Cech, when they only fact 2-3 a game but expect to keep a clean sheet.

D

Deleted member 1740

If they are looking to sell then why haven't they sold to the Chinese who are looking to buy for over £700mil ?

They have said they are not looking to sell ?

Because the club is valued at £1bn, and they were offered £300m less.

Those comments from Henry re the ticket pricing issue is a swipe at the fans. It seems they'll build the stand for 4th he money/corporates but the Riff Raff fans can do one.

I don't believe them. They'll sell once they get their £1bn

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keepers who play in struggling teams can always look great.

Brad Friedel was the same. When they have to save 10-15 shots a game and they save loads, and only let 1-2 in, they look worldies.

A difference between a Clemence or a Cech, when they only fact 2-3 a game but expect to keep a clean sheet.

Agreed. Plenty of examples as you describe. Gomes is similar at the moment, looking great at Watford but mistakes were highlighted at Spurs.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is anyone watching the Man Utd game tonight? 75% possession but not a single shot on target in the first 40 minutes. Only viewing the BBC live text so not seen any of the game but they are suggesting it's similar to the football played under Van Gaal with lots of possession and passing but most of it is sideways and backwards.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happy with tonights result. Not a classic game by any stretch but a point away at a difficult place to go, top of the group and with a game against Inter next, who seem totally uninterested in the competition:cool:

D

Deleted member 16999

Is anyone watching the Man Utd game tonight? 75% possession but not a single shot on target in the first 40 minutes. Only viewing the BBC live text so not seen any of the game but they are suggesting it's similar to the football played under Van Gaal with lots of possession and passing but most of it is sideways and backwards.
The opposition are running their legs off and Utd are constantly giving the ball away, complete bore fest Zzzzzzzz

D

Deleted member 16999

Southampton assistant manager Eric Black named in Telegraph investigation. Just breaking on Sky News

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How wide is this Telegraph investigation? Seems to be affecting more and more clubs. Is the game inherently rotten and bent, is it the paper simply making its own buck and selling copy or is it a few greedy and corrupt managers? Off the back of FIFA's issues it's not good

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trapping people as unsavoury as it sounds actually will have a positive effect on the game. It will certainly make people think twice which is not a bad thing.

It happens in most sports , where there's money there's corruption and greed. Look at John Higgins , set up big time. Willing to throw snooker matches in return for cash.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trapping people as unsavoury as it sounds actually will have a positive effect on the game. It will certainly make people think twice which is not a bad thing.

It happens in most sports , where there's money there's corruption and greed. Look at John Higgins , set up big time. Willing to throw snooker matches in return for cash.

Just for sake of accuracy, Higgins was found not guilty of match fixing. He admitted and was banned on a disrepute charge for not reporting the approach to the WPBSA.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
QUOTE]

I too don't have a problem with entrapment providing its governed, and isn't done by someone without a commercial interest in the outcome. This is a big story that sells copy. The Telegraph will sell more copy the juicier the story is. Also, are investigative journalists professionally trained to investigate in an unbiased manner, or are they chasing the juicy bits?

Its a tough one to reconcile. My hope is that if the authorities do take onboard the evidence they also question the methodology and outcomes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I heard a journalist talking about these methods this week. You can not set up an "entrapment" meeting off the cuff. There has to be reasonable suspicions in the first place. These are not just fishing trips, they are targetted.

I would not expect big clubs to be as affected now as surely managers don't get involved in the money side of transfers etc. There are chief execs, director of football etc who do this. It should only be low level clubs where managers are still involved. Maybe wrong but that is my perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.