And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

It's still cheating if the contact wasn't enough to take you down but you still go down .

Verdict - Dive

They would still be talking about this if it was 0-0 at the time, as it is nobody really cares because the game was well and truly won.

How do you measure the contact for it to warrant a penalty?

Verdict- penalty.

D

Deleted member 1740

Just seen it and to put the record straight he did not learn that at Citeh.

I agree, it was at Chelsea. After all he's played with two of the biggest culprits in recent history Drogba and Robben :whistle:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you measure the contact for it to warrant a penalty?

Verdict- penalty.

I think that I can tell the difference between having to go down and choosing to go down. Sturridge yesterday falls into the latter for me.

Other reference points are the player reactions the defender looked aggrieved, Sturridge looked sheepish.

And was Sturridge going to score? was he going anywhere? Not really.

Add it all together and you have to say that he felt the contact and took full advantage. It's not the worst kind of cheating because I think the player at least made contact. A professional dive if there is such a thing.

D

Deleted member 1740

I think that I can tell the difference between having to go down and choosing to go down. Sturridge yesterday falls into the latter for me.

Other reference points are the player reactions the defender looked aggrieved, Sturridge looked sheepish.
What did you want him to do? Roll over 14times holding his ankle pretending to be in pain?

And was Sturridge going to score? was he going anywhere? Not really.
The defender shouldn't have thrown a stupid tackle in then but This is irrelevant, it's a foul in the box. Pen.

Add it all together and you have to say that he felt the contact and took full advantage. It's not the worst kind of cheating because I think the player at least made contact. A professional dive if there is such a thing.

We both agree there was contact, Colchester says there wasn't. Funny isn't it we all see things differently.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would he be pretending if he was kicked? Anyway I would expect him to be a little bit miffed or upset that the defender hurt him or deprived him of a goal scoring opportunity.

Truth is the tackle did neither hence why Sturridge looked the way he did, looked almost worried as if the ref could have given it either way. In my humble opinion.

D

Deleted member 1740

Why would he be pretending if he was kicked? Anyway I would expect him to be a little bit miffed or upset that the defender hurt him or deprived him of a goal scoring opportunity.
why would you expect that given you said earlier he was going nowhere. I didn't realise you was a body language expert.
Truth is the tackle did neither hence why Sturridge looked the way he did, looked almost worried as if the ref could have given it either way. In my humble opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it was a pen, the ref saw it in real time and gave it. Sturridge's reaction had no affect on the decision.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion, but it was a pen, the ref saw it in real time and gave it. Sturridge's reaction had no affect on the decision.

Eh? Never mind mate it's all about opinions.

I'm a neutral in this I'm I just saying that I thought Sturridge dived with the minute amount of contact. You can't be in the jury as you are friends of the accused.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've watched the Sturridge dive on Sky and MOTD, in real time and slo-mo. I can't tell if there's contact or not. That said, it certainly looks like a pen, and Sturridge made sure it looked like a pen.

Did he dive? No, I don't think he did but I do think he exaggerated contact.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've watched the Sturridge dive on Sky and MOTD, in real time and slo-mo. I can't tell if there's contact or not. That said, it certainly looks like a pen, and Sturridge made sure it looked like a pen.

Did he dive? No, I don't think he did but I do think he exaggerated contact.

Well that clears it up Brian, lol.

D

Deleted member 1740

Eh? Never mind mate it's all about opinions.

I'm a neutral in this I'm I just saying that I thought Sturridge dived with the minute amount of contact. You can't be in the jury as you are friends of the accused.

I'd like to think I'm fair across the board when it comes to decisions and incidents. If it was a dive and no contact then I'd say something like I have in the past on here.

Like I've asked previously, how do we measure what's enough contact for a pen?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I'd like to think I'm fair across the board when it comes to decisions and incidents. If it was a dive and no contact then I'd say something like I have in the past on here.

The problem is it would take a lot more to bring down a Giroud or a sturridge than it would say a Sterling or a Walcott so is it fair that a foul on one isn't a foul on the other, so I can see both sides, that said it doesn't sit right with me when a player chooses to go down.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is it would take a lot more to bring down a Giroud or a sturridge than it would say a Sterling or a Walcott so is it fair that a foul on one isn't a foul on the other, so I can see both sides, that said it doesn't sit right with me when a player chooses to go down.

You can't have watched Sturridge play very often. It takes very little to bring down a Sturridge. And sometimes it takes nothing, other than a defender being in the same postcode for him to go down.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's not measured but like I said before you can normally tell if someone falls as a result of the actual contact versus someone causing themselves to go to ground because of a contact.

D

Deleted member 1740

Exactly. We can't measure so every decision given some will be right and some will be wrong. It's the blatantly obvious decisions that annoys me not just for us but football in general.

It seems that players have to go down to get the decisions, Andy Gray was always banging on when he was on sky, "go down and give the ref something to think about " was his usual comment.

How do we get rid of this problem?

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly. We can't measure so every decision given some will be right and some will be wrong. It's the blatantly obvious decisions that annoys me not just for us but football in general.

It seems that players have to go down to get the decisions, Andy Gray was always banging on when he was on sky, "go down and give the ref something to think about " was his usual comment.

How do we get rid of this problem?

The only way you'll get Clubs to take it serious is to take points off them, I know it's extreme and completely unlikely but to me fines and individual bans are no good, taking points could be the difference between between promotion/relegation/league position, european qual etc and could cost them millions. Only clubs can sort this out.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
The only way you'll get Clubs to take it serious is to take points off them, I know it's extreme and completely unlikely but to me fines and individual bans are no good, taking points could be the difference between between promotion/relegation/league position, european qual etc and could cost them millions. Only clubs can sort this out.

Exactly there has to be a post game panel with the power to ban players and remove points for repeat offenders, as soon as clubs start loosing players and points it will stop overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.