And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think prior to Roman their total honours were pretty similar. Now there is a clear gulf.
In regards to their level, you’re a little optimistic to think you guys are on a similar level though imo.

What’s the point of saying “prior to Roman”? Roman happened and changed the club forever, I remember going to Chelsea in the early 80s and there average home attendance was about 17thou. But things change and now they are a much bigger club.
I know Tottenham are bigger than West Ham but they are nowhere near Chelsea’s level.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That’s 3rd and 4th sorted then

Not quite yet, but a draws no good to them either, I always said goal difference could also be a key to places, so if spurs lost and arsenal won their last match and it stays like this, goal difference kept Arsenal down in 5th.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What’s the point of saying “prior to Roman”? Roman happened and changed the club forever, I remember going to Chelsea in the early 80s and there average home attendance was about 17thou. But things change and now they are a much bigger club.
I know Tottenham are bigger than West Ham but they are nowhere near Chelsea’s level.

I said prior because sawtooth op which had the subject raised commented that take away the money and spurs are bigger. So I was referencing that prior to him arriving it was debatable in regards to their size and stature.

Spurs are closer to Chelsea than West Ham are to spurs.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have said all season we would not make top 4. Didn't deserve to be either. Have we improved after Wenger No!
Too many average players. I cant remember apart from the home game with spurs a game where we played really throughout and actually looked a team well capable of being top 4.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe the board are hoping another year in the europa league will make Ozil look for a move lol

theyre the idiots that chose to pay him 350k, mhiki 200k etc etc no CL money again will mean very limited funds in the summer no doubt.

whilst they would like to move a few of them on its hard to see the suitors queueing up to take on their wages!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
theyre the idiots that chose to pay him 350k, mhiki 200k etc etc no CL money again will mean very limited funds in the summer no doubt.

whilst they would like to move a few of them on its hard to see the suitors queueing up to take on their wages!

Mad that you still have a good chance of a trophy!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I said prior because sawtooth op which had the subject raised commented that take away the money and spurs are bigger. So I was referencing that prior to him arriving it was debatable in regards to their size and stature.

Spurs didn’t / couldn’t beat Chelsea for 16 years, 13 years of that was prior to Roman buying us in 2003. I think that’s a pretty good indicator that our ‘money’ played no part in that.

Then add in a few FA Cups, Community Shields, Cup Winner Cups, League Cups, Full Members Cups, Super Cup, League Titles and a Double thrown in for good measure, ALL before Roman, I think people get obsessed by the myth that we were unsuccessful as a football club on the pitch prior to Roman’s arrival, and yet we were, and possibly punching well above our weight, but those trophy’s and records all prior to 2003 don’t lie, but hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of some people’s obsession of us and our ‘money’ 😏

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Most clubs can move them on, they just have to subsidise there wages to a degree, at least that then reduces the wage bill somewhat and allows some room?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
weve been far better set up for Europe, and we have 2 good strikers, thats basically just about been enough so far! if we get there then its a one off 90 mins so every chance

True

Still can’t believe your letting your best midfielder leave for nothing

D

Deleted member 15344

Spurs didn’t / couldn’t beat Chelsea for 16 years, 13 years of that was prior to Roman buying us in 2003. I think that’s a pretty good indicator that our ‘money’ played no part in that.

Then add in a few FA Cups, Community Shields, Cup Winner Cups, League Cups, Full Members Cups, Super Cup, League Titles and a Double thrown in for good measure, ALL before Roman, I think people get obsessed by the myth that we were unsuccessful as a football club on the pitch prior to Roman’s arrival, and yet we were, and possibly punching well above our weight, but those trophy’s and records all prior to 2003 don’t lie, but hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of some people’s obsession of us and our ‘money’ 😏

Is it not 15 out of the 22 major trophies have arrived since Roman took over the club ? Spurs have won 1 out of their 17 major trophies since Roman arrived

So looking at the “major” trophies Spurs were a considerable amount ahead of Chelsea before Roman arrived. Didn’t Chelsea go something like 20 years or so from the 70’s until late 90’s not winning anything beyond a second div title ?

So yep Chelsea did have success before Roman - small success compared to a lot of teams but the arrival of Roman gave Chelsea the majority of their success

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
From potentially a title battle, 3rd and 4th place, relegation, it's all a bit flat now next week. Title is at stake, obviously, but the rest is over. Shame for the neutrals, multiple tensions are more fun.

I couldn't see how utd and arsenal couldn't win today. Blimey, if you can't beat Huddersfield and Brighton...........

D

Deleted member 16999

Your only Double, League and FA Cup came in 2009.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not quite yet, but a draws no good to them either, I always said goal difference could also be a key to places, so if spurs lost and arsenal won their last match and it stays like this, goal difference kept Arsenal down in 5th.
Needs a spurs loss, arse win and an 8 goal swing...You think that's going to happen?